KDE Software Store Announced, AGPL Licensed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

You lack basic understanding of simple concepts. Seriously, you need to grasp at least the basic differences between Gnome Software, a GUI installer front-end, and a web service to distribute files.
    Yep, I totally misunderstood all that, sorry.

Comment

Nice going and it might be somewhat useful but I am disappointed in the quality of KDE 5 itself, recently I experimented with KDE using many different distributions like Kubuntu, Manjaro, Antergos, OpenSuse Tumbleweed and regular OpenSuse on my laptop with Intel processor and Nvidia graphics card running proprietary drivers and the result was not good at all, I had crashes of applications every now and then on all distributions, sometimes the whole plasma would crash as well, on the same distributions Unity, MATE and Gnome worked without problems. KDE 4 was much more solid, it seems that development of KDE 5 is going too fast and brings too many bugs, I read they will make an LTS release of KDE, that is good and I hope that version will actually be stable as currently KDE is not good enough in my experience.

Comment

isnt the License the same as Berkley Database License ? if so i wonder what Fedora will do bout that feature then

Comment

Originally posted by snizzo View Post
          Hi guys. I commented under the news on the dot. Apparently now comments are moderated (kde's really scared of critics?). I don't know if my reply will ever be published so I'll post it here. Thanks for patience phoronix's team.

Reply to comment from: Sebastian Kügler
          "Because you did a secret meeting to discuss and plan the development of a product that wasn't goign to be opensourced until TODAY. The community wasn't informed and you folks basically acted like a company. In fact, TODAY is the first day I'm seeing the source code. Why would have I wanted to partecipate if development was done behind closed doors? That's not open source development, that's company strategy marketing and I didn't want to work for free for blue systems, simple as that.

And no, I wasn't referring in our contributions in the KDE store that was announced TODAY. So no one knew anything until was announced TODAY. It is perfectly reasonable that I didn't knew of it. And yes you invited me privately to take part in the development behind the doors, but that is "work" in my opinion. I was referring to the fact that we started the development of an opensource server that was also in good shape regarding functionality and was also working with attica and new stuff libraries, but wasn't even mentioned in a line in the history of the kde server side technologies. It gives a reader the impression of "there was a problem and since no one took care of it we solved it now" (sorry for the solved part, that's still very questionable).

It's just my two cents, and I know you're not going to understand again, you're going to be puzzled etcetcetc. but the truth is I don't really care anymore. There are far more healthier communities to stay in so it's not my problem anymore, just wanted to drop by and let people know others were working towards a solution but there are people able to take strong decisions in this community, and that community lately follows blue systems willing (and thus driving) kde.

Again, good luck with your store!

p.s. Ah, our framework (GFX), that one that sucks you know, is now used on real reserch projects for predictions of serious illness like breast cancer. Just to say: I really don't care and I won't reply again."
          I'm very tempted to insult you too like Awesomeness did.

What makes you think that since your post got moderated there you can post your answer to him here without some kind of context?

How about you demonstrate to us in the forum that you aren't a whiny little troll that can't get himself heard somewhere so he resorts to spam here and post something FOR US where you talk at people HERE and explain what the hell is all this rant at?

Because y'know this is called "phoronix" not "KDE blog site".

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            isnt the License the same as Berkley Database License ? if so i wonder what Fedora will do bout that feature then
            yes. AGPL forces any user of this server software to provide full source of his server.

Comment

ghetto edit: I meant full source of the webapplication i.e. the site itself.

Comment

This is some good news, I hope it will revive the old site. And I also like the fact that they separated plasma 4 and 5 widgets.

Hi guys. I commented under the news on the dot. Apparently now comments are moderated (kde's really scared of critics?). I don't know if my reply will ever be published so I'll post it here. Thanks for patience phoronix's team.

Reply to comment from: Sebastian Kügler
                "Because you did a secret meeting to discuss and plan the development of a product that wasn't goign to be opensourced until TODAY. The community wasn't informed and you folks basically acted like a company. In fact, TODAY is the first day I'm seeing the source code. Why would have I wanted to partecipate if development was done behind closed doors? That's not open source development, that's company strategy marketing and I didn't want to work for free for blue systems, simple as that.

And no, I wasn't referring in our contributions in the KDE store that was announced TODAY. So no one knew anything until was announced TODAY. It is perfectly reasonable that I didn't knew of it. And yes you invited me privately to take part in the development behind the doors, but that is "work" in my opinion. I was referring to the fact that we started the development of an opensource server that was also in good shape regarding functionality and was also working with attica and new stuff libraries, but wasn't even mentioned in a line in the history of the kde server side technologies. It gives a reader the impression of "there was a problem and since no one took care of it we solved it now" (sorry for the solved part, that's still very questionable).

It's just my two cents, and I know you're not going to understand again, you're going to be puzzled etcetcetc. but the truth is I don't really care anymore. There are far more healthier communities to stay in so it's not my problem anymore, just wanted to drop by and let people know others were working towards a solution but there are people able to take strong decisions in this community, and that community lately follows blue systems willing (and thus driving) kde.

Again, good luck with your store!

p.s. Ah, our framework (GFX), that one that sucks you know, is now used on real reserch projects for predictions of serious illness like breast cancer. Just to say: I really don't care and I won't reply again."
                WTF? Man, I think you seriously need to cool down a bit. You seem to take this as a very personal offense.
                GPL (and AGPL for that matter) only require to share the source once you distribute the product. It is a *very* common thing to actually start development before releasing the software, and only release it with the source once it's in a stable enough state. Even Linus did this with the Linux kernel. You can't really have a big, open development community in the beginning when you have basically no API, no guidelines, and basically need everyone involved to be really familiar with the codebase. Plus, you can't really release a product that's not working a minima.

Comment

I think I'm a human being and until I don't do offence to anyone I have the right to reply. That's simply correct journalism. Else is nazi-like behaviour. Fortunately phoronix stands with the freedom of speech and my opinions are as valuable as yours as those of anyone else. So please be kind and provide arguments to your "fuck". Is this the kind of toxic community KDE grows? People not allowing to reply and extremists that insults people on forums?

C'mon! Guess why I'm out!
                  I'm not a member of the KDE community, I just happen to prefer KDE software over e.g. Xfce software.
                  I did some googling and I found a mailing list post by you were you appear to confess that you have A) mental health problems, B) spam people with requests, and C) flat-out lie about KDE policies (some BS about "the community doesn't allow concurrent implementations" – yeah, right, that's why KDE develops three or so music players concurrently…).

If I were in charge of talking to you, I'd stop doing so at some point as well because I'm not your freaking therapist.

Comment

"I'm not a member of the KDE community, I just happen to prefer KDE software over e.g. Xfce software.
                    I did some googling and I found a mailing list post by you were you appear to confess that you have A) mental health problems, B) spam people with requests, and C) flat-out lie about KDE policies (some BS about "the community doesn't allow concurrent implementations" – yeah, right, that's why KDE develops three or so music players concurrently…).

If I were in charge of talking to you, I'd stop doing so at some point as well because I'm not your freaking therapist."

Sorry for not quoting properly but it's tricky from a phone.

I think you read my email I sent to kde discussion and my conversation. Please read them again, I did mention kidney stones for which I had morphine therapy at the time, not mental illness.
                    I didn't spam people with requests. I was developing the actual prototype of a plasma store as a gsoc in an actual kde project and I asked where the development should be headed and no one responded to me, also during gsoc. Probably because there was this thing going on. I was asked to abandon my project and join this one at closed doors, I declined.
                    I also didn't lie about kde policy. I WAS TOLD at the time (when I declined the offer) on IRC chat that they didn't like concurrent implementations of an ocs server on kde. Then publicly on email they stated the exact opposite. I perfectly know and like that KDE allows concurrent implementations and that would have gone to my favor so what's the point of this. Read again the email, I didn't say what kde ideally allows but just what I was told.

And for the last phrase... it's pretty hilarious because you don't have the correct timeline. People stopped informing me of things during gsoc and shortly after finishing gsoc and I had an amazing relationship with everyone. I guess people stopped talking to me because they didn't want to share kde's (bs?) plan for the store like they did for the phone. So they basically decided on themselves without asking the community (or I wasn't informed on the poll) to shut down my project and hire someone to work on a "new store". That's what I was told. They even organised a secret meeting I didn't attend. I was then offered to collaborate for free and declined. If you have a better insight now you should understand also my statement in which I suggest other people that kde is more and more driven by BS and imho it's not a good thing for an oss community. I'm only expressing an opinion and explaining things.

​What's the bad part of having all the workforce paid by bs? As for me a lose of interest in a project (and therefore free software development) because of the feeling of "being driven" and the detracting factor for newcomers that see the project admin being paid. We're a bit losing the true essence of free software and this attracts young people interested in being paid a lot instead of doing it for passion. I'd be interested in seeing the percentage of code produced by non-paid development and paid one inside the plasma project.

Also I always replied to people and never denied communications. I wrote to the kde community ml because other kde members were asking me how my work was proceeding. When I told them I had no news and I was told to stop the work they told me to publish the story. It wasn't my idea to write to ml, and that proves there are also people on the community who thinks the same way as me.

​​​​Hope to have given you a better insight on the matter.

Comment

"WTF? Man, I think you seriously need to cool down a bit. You seem to take this as a very personal offense.
                      GPL (and AGPL for that matter) only require to share the source once you distribute the product. It is a *very* common thing to actually start development before releasing the software, and only release it with the source once it's in a stable enough state. Even Linus did this with the Linux kernel. You can't really have a big, open development community in the beginning when you have basically no API, no guidelines, and basically need everyone involved to be really familiar with the codebase. Plus, you can't really release a product that's not working a minima"

Completely agree with you. I just wanted to point out that when some of the persons that belongs to a community are paid to do so by a company the line between project and product is very blurry. As an oss developer hearing that there's someone, even if smiling and friendly, that decides what you can or can't do for free is depressing. It basically happened to me. I was told that concurrent implementations weren't allowed, then I was told the opposite when rising problems in ml in public. But for sure my server wouldn't have been used, that's why I left development. Also just wanted people to be aware of this. I couldn't imagine what would happen to kde if bs for whatever reason decides to close all the working spots.

Comment

Working...
                      X