KDE Software Store Announced, AGPL Licensed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
    […]the KDE Store service will be run by Blue Systems sister company PLING, […]
    KDE Store At this year's Akademy, KDE announced The KDE Store. The new store replaces the services provided by openDesktop.org with a Free-as-in-Freedom software sharing platform. A Bit of History OpenDesktop, founded in 2001 was one of the first of its kind, very innovative and perhaps even a bit ahead of its time. OpenDesktop served addons such as themes, wallpapers and other non-compiled assets for applications or the desktop. It never established itself as a platform for distribution of applications, or even binary packages.

"KDE e.V. has entered a contract with PLING, a sister company of Blue Systems who run the KDE Store service on behalf of KDE."

So that's a company hosting and maintaining the site, under the direction of KDE, because KDE proper does not have the expertise to do it in-house.

Unless there is another company I'm not aware of, KDE developed this software for themselves.

Comment

So the white FOSS heroes from KDE developed for a company behind closed doors and then threw the code over the wall?

where is the outcry now? Oh wait, its the critics themselves doing it now.
      No, Pling developed the code in-house and then donated it to KDE. Can't you even read one line of copyright string in e.g. https://github.com/KDE/ocs-fileserve...ster/README.md ?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Install KNetStats or KSensors in Fedora 24 or Ubuntu 16.10 without compiling them from sources and not using chroot or any other tricks not accessible for the average Joe. You cannot? Why won't you stop talking BS, please? I've been running Linux since 1996 for fuq's sake. But you're the only knowledgeable person here, right? Go fuq off, Retar Do.

https://software.opensuse.org/package/ksensors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

No, Pling developed the code in-house and then donated it to KDE. Can't you even read one line of copyright string in e.g. https://github.com/KDE/ocs-fileserve...ster/README.md ?
          Thanks, you have just proven what i said: developed behind closed doors, then thrown over the wall.
          I mean i am fine with that. But KDE and their shitstorm gang told us again and again that development "behind closed doors" and then releasing the code (aka throwing over the wall) is a very bad thing and should be banned from the FOSS community.

Comment

Thanks, you have just proven what i said: developed behind closed doors, then thrown over the wall.
            I mean i am fine with that. But KDE and their shitstorm gang told us again and again that development "behind closed doors" and then releasing the code (aka throwing over the wall) is a very bad thing and should be banned from the FOSS community.
            That's a bit different. They just built it the way they need it, then released it as open, and from now on all development happens in the open.

What is (seen as) bad is Google-style where they develop the whole Android new version behind closed doors then dump source at the end, while community only does "feature forks" that Google can choose to integrate or not at their whim.

Comment

Thanks, you have just proven what i said
              No, you said KDE developed code for a company when, in fact it's the polar opposite: a company developed code and donated it to KDE.

Comment

What part of Fedora and Ubuntu haven't you noticed? Give me a "yum install" or "apt-get install command". Oh, there's none? Troll.

Comment

Sorry for my english:

For birdie

dnf install ksensors

================================================== ===============================================
                  Package Architecture Version Dépôt Taille
                  ================================================== ===============================================
                  Installation de:
                  arts x86_64 8:1.5.10-32.fc24 rawhide 886 k
                  audiofile x86_64 1:0.3.6-11.fc24 rawhide 132 k
                  kdelibs3 x86_64 3.5.10-75.fc25 rawhide 15 M
                  ksensors x86_64 0.7.3-32.fc24 rawhide 295 k
                  libart_lgpl x86_64 2.3.21-15.fc26 rawhide 70 k
                  qt3 x86_64 3.3.8b-68.fc25 rawhide 3.4 M

But knetstats id not provided.

Comment

What part of Fedora and Ubuntu haven't you noticed? Give me a "yum install" or "apt-get install command". Oh, there's none? Troll.
                    What part of "it's a distro packaging problem not a KDE problem" you did not understand?

Comment

I'm talking about hundreds of unsupported and killed applications written for KDE2/KDE3/4 which are no longer maintained or provided by Linux distros, because their authors couldn't bother updating them for new shiny KF5.
                      I guess the confusion comes from your original posting in which you wrote about API stability while you actually wanted to point out that distributions don't ship unmaintained software.

So people replying to your first comment natually pointed out misconception regarding the former, since until now nobody knew that you are referring to distribution packaging.

Perhaps you're very new to Linux and you yourself is very young that's why you're talking BS.
                      I've been using Linux distributions for almost two decades and whether one packages and ships unmaintained software varies widely.
                      I am currently on Debian/Unstable and it does not, but I think OpenSUSE does to some point.

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X