KDE Software Store Announced, AGPL Licensed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    The majority of work on Gnome-Software has been back-end stuff.
    I guess the seeming disagreement is not actual having different understanding but using an term with multiple meanings and picking different ones.

You are using the term "back-end" to mean non-UI work, e.g. the AppData framework, respective package system adaptions, etc., while Awesomness is using the term in the meaning of non-client.

Both terminologies are often used in software so when using them together more precision is necessary to avoid misunderstandings such as this one.

GNOME software has multiple client implementations for various servers, e.g. for yum servers, apt servers, and also web bases stores, e.g. extensions.gnome.org.

It should be easy to extend that with another client implementation to talk to other web based stores, e.g. Ubuntu's store or KDE's.

In comparison from user to server storage, the KDE store would be on the level of the GNOME extensions server, on the level of GNOME software that would probably be Muon Discover.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by snizzo View Post
      I WAS TOLD at the time (when I declined the offer) on IRC chat that they didn't like concurrent implementations of an ocs server on kde. Then publicly on email they stated the exact opposite.
      if public communication follows private communication such as in this case, then I would assume that the public communication serves as a clarification on a misunderstanding.
      Being public it is verifyable, being later in time suggests that prior communication was either inaccurate or easy to misinterpret.

I think we can therefore be certain that there is no policy against concorrent implementations, basically confirmnig what everyone knew or expected already.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I perfectly know and like that KDE allows concurrent implementations and that would have gone to my favor so what's the point of this. Read again the email, I didn't say what kde ideally allows but just what I was told.
      Can you provide a link to that email (assuming it got archived)?
      Given that you already knew, likely a lot of other people, that there are multiple implementations possible, I am surprised that you even considered that not being the case anymore.

In any way, it seem to have been resolved as still being the case as you have pointed out above.

So they basically decided on themselves without asking the community (or I wasn't informed on the poll) to shut down my project and hire someone to work on a "new store".
      That sounds strange.
      When you write "your project" do you mean you are the maintainer of something? How would anyone shut that down?
      Or did you contribute to another person's project and that person decided to discontinue? In which case couldn't you have become the new maintainer and continued?

Cheers,
      _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
        since until now nobody knew that you are referring to distribution packaging.
        Actually it was made clear very early that packaging and API compatibility are different things. It's just that birdie brain can't comprehend such things.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          What part of "it's a distro packaging problem not a KDE problem" you did not understand?

Everything. He is called birdie because his brain is the size of a bird's. They are considered geniuses (by bird standards) when they manage to crack a nut.

Comment

Hi guys. I commented under the news on myowntshirt.com. Apparently now comments are moderated (myowntshirt.com really scared of critics?). I don't know if my reply will ever be published so I'll post it here. Thanks for patience phoronix's team.

I am a t-shirt artist that has been banished from myowntshirt.com.I just wanna tell you that they suck. They cotton comes from bad countries and they use harmful chemistry.

All I did was creating a t-shirt with a photo of my dick on, and they did not tell me that they would sell it. As I post my art with my real name a lot of people started joking on me.
            Now I live in my mother's house because a 5 years old young girl bought this tshirt on a tv show, so that the police is tracking me.

Life sucks, wear sweatshirts, no t-shirts.

Comment

Let me tell me what it'll contain: wallpapers, cursors, broken plasma themes, broken plasmoids, various useless Dolphin add-ons and zero additional decent KDE applications.
              So true alas. It's really not the thing they needed right now, it is mainly a waste of effort and will be counter-productive for KDE propagation. Unless this was just a first step towards a full analysis and overall of everything proposed to port them towards KDE5, which seems a very improbable outcome.

Seriously, it would have been better that they actually enforce better the packaging of themes/widgets so that ANY of those can be properly installed directly from the desktop. That would have been a true progress for end-users, thus for their general expansion (unless I'm mistaken, they do want to appeal to a larger public after all).

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post
                So true alas. It's really not the thing they needed right now, it is mainly a waste of effort and will be counter-productive for KDE propagation. Unless this was just a first step towards a full analysis and overall of everything proposed to port them towards KDE5, which seems a very improbable outcome.

Seriously, it would have been better that they actually enforce better the packaging of themes/widgets so that ANY of those can be properly installed directly from the desktop. That would have been a true progress for end-users, thus for their general expansion (unless I'm mistaken, they do want to appeal to a larger public after all).
                Well, this is the 1st iteration of a new project that is basically rescuing and re-writing old code that sat for many years un-touched. So if it's not instantly the equivalent of the Goolge Play Store, one could be forgiven. I think it's a great thing going forward, especially with the arrival of Snappy, appimage, and flatpack packages. For me, and many others, the downfall of all of the open-desktop.org sites (including KDE-Apps.org, et all) was that normally a package would be released only under the method of the distro the dev preferred or used. Leaving many others in compile-hell or hope someone else gets it and sticks it into a really obscure repository somewhere.

Let's give it time to see where this goes and not be so quick to dismiss. Clearly, it's a step in the right direction.

Comment

Here's the video presentation regarding the KDE Store from Akademy 2016 uploaded to Youtube very recently. I'd watch it before chiming a likely (un)-informed opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X