Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Store Announced, AGPL Licensed

Phoronix: KDE Software Store Announced, AGPL Licensed

KDE developers announced today the KDE Software Store, a Free-as-in-Freedom AGPL-licensed sharing platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi guys. I commented under the news on the dot. Apparently now comments are moderated (kde's really scared of critics?). I don't know if my reply will ever be published so I'll post it here. Thanks for patience phoronix's team.

Reply to comment from: Sebastian Kügler
    "Because you did a secret meeting to discuss and plan the development of a product that wasn't goign to be opensourced until TODAY. The community wasn't informed and you folks basically acted like a company. In fact, TODAY is the first day I'm seeing the source code. Why would have I wanted to partecipate if development was done behind closed doors? That's not open source development, that's company strategy marketing and I didn't want to work for free for blue systems, simple as that.

And no, I wasn't referring in our contributions in the KDE store that was announced TODAY. So no one knew anything until was announced TODAY. It is perfectly reasonable that I didn't knew of it. And yes you invited me privately to take part in the development behind the doors, but that is "work" in my opinion. I was referring to the fact that we started the development of an opensource server that was also in good shape regarding functionality and was also working with attica and new stuff libraries, but wasn't even mentioned in a line in the history of the kde server side technologies. It gives a reader the impression of "there was a problem and since no one took care of it we solved it now" (sorry for the solved part, that's still very questionable).

It's just my two cents, and I know you're not going to understand again, you're going to be puzzled etcetcetc. but the truth is I don't really care anymore. There are far more healthier communities to stay in so it's not my problem anymore, just wanted to drop by and let people know others were working towards a solution but there are people able to take strong decisions in this community, and that community lately follows blue systems willing (and thus driving) kde.

Again, good luck with your store!

p.s. Ah, our framework (GFX), that one that sucks you know, is now used on real reserch projects for predictions of serious illness like breast cancer. Just to say: I really don't care and I won't reply again."

Comment

Let me tell me what it'll contain: wallpapers, cursors, broken plasma themes, broken plasmoids, various useless Dolphin add-ons and zero additional decent KDE applications.

Some day KDE developers will come to their senses and start maintaining proper long term API compatibility and then maybe we'll have some new applications.

Until then it's all vanity.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Let me tell me what it'll contain: wallpapers, cursors, broken plasma themes, broken plasmoids, various useless Dolphin add-ons and zero additional decent KDE applications.

Some day KDE developers will come to their senses and start maintaining proper long term API compatibility and then maybe we'll have some new applications.

Until then it's all vanity.
        You described it so precisely I'm speechless

Comment

So now we have Gnome App Store and KDE App Store... on top of the system's packaging software.

Yeah that won't get confusing at all. Oh well, I hope those guys get to their senses and make that together...

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
            So now we have Gnome App Store and KDE App Store... on top of the system's packaging software.

Yeah that won't get confusing at all. Oh well, I hope those guys get to their senses and make that together...
            There is no gnome app store.
            There is gnome-software, which is a frontend for apt/dnf, flatpak and on Ubuntu even for snap. There was even talk about the possibility of a steam plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post

You lack basic understanding of simple concepts. Seriously, you need to grasp at least the basic differences between Gnome Software, a GUI installer front-end, and a web service to distribute files.

Comment

Originally posted by snizzo View Post
                Hi guys. I commented under the news on the dot. Apparently now comments are moderated (kde's really scared of critics?). I don't know if my reply will ever be published so I'll post it here.
                Who the fuck are you and what makes you think you're special?

Comment

So it's a bad thing they did not delete all old kde-look.org content. WTF?

What are you talking about? Not only do KDE Frameworks provide "proper long term API compatibility", they even provide a stable ABI (just like kdelibs before).
                  You apparently confuse KDE with Gnome/GTK 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Who the fuck are you and what makes you think you're special?
                    I think I'm a human being and until I don't do offence to anyone I have the right to reply. That's simply correct journalism. Else is nazi-like behaviour. Fortunately phoronix stands with the freedom of speech and my opinions are as valuable as yours as those of anyone else. So please be kind and provide arguments to your "fuck". Is this the kind of toxic community KDE grows? People not allowing to reply and extremists that insults people on forums?

C'mon! Guess why I'm out!

Comment

Working...
                    X