Chrome 53 Should Be Blazing Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
    I'm guessing edge is a windows thing. (shrug)
    Edge is the replacement for IE that debuted in Windows 10.

Comment

The Chrome improvements on Android actually look pretty impressive, so that's where I'm happy to see this.

Desktop performance is already good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        The Google logo should render now 47% faster. I stopped caring about "fast browsers" years ago, because they brag about performance improvements literally every release, yet pretty much never do I see any actual difference.
        I just selectively whitelist JavaScript, everything is much faster now.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
          Then I shudder to think what you would do to the developers of the othe browsers; since in my personal experience, those are notably slower in all metrics I cared to experience.
          probably nothing. chrome is by far biggest disaster in my book

fast or slow doesn't really play role here. i use epiphany which is fast and i additionally self patched all cache methods to NOP. in most cases caching and then searching from disk is way slower than my connection and when it wouldn't be, difference is absolutely not visible. most important thing is that my browser doesn't hog ram of not only my network but also whole neighbourhood. and ram hogging is where chrome is absolute disaster

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            This will eventually filter into Android Crosswalk so hopefully it'll help improve some Cordova apps.

It might, but there's still a lot wrong with Cordova. Having worked with it quite a bit I can't really see a future for it. The web is not an appropriate platform for building applications; the best web applications ignore standard ways of doing things and either render everything as a 3d transformed surface (ionic), or render everything with canvas (flipboard). Then when you get an accessibility requirement, you have to create shadow elements or hack your framework to oblivion to get a screen reader to read the thing right.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              For anyone thinking "who cares about browser performance" - until the latest round of first person shooter games could work great if released as web apps, there's still work to be done. There's nothing stopping us from reaching that state eventually. No, the web platform will never be as efficient as coding in C, but just as C wasn't as efficient as coding in assembly, the trade-off was worth it for making it accessible to far more developers and making the resulting software easier to maintain. People here should really be getting behind this work, as WebGL is the best bet you're ever gonna have at getting platform neutrality and widespread Linux compatibility as a side effect.
              sorry to burst your bubble, but difference between asm and c is far, far from difference between c and webapp. webapp is a fucking synonym for something that works slow and hogs all of your ram while also excelling at breaking most all rules of how app should act. i am yet to see one app that would be remotely usable.

so, while asm to c tradeoff was worth it. c to webapp is not.

Comment

If they want to brag about a fast browser, they should start to look at first step, how fast the browser is starting speed.
                I did a test on my windows 7 computer without internet connection.
                I have installed Chromium 49.
                When the browser opens up Windows shows the loading icon for a few seconds until the browser is fully ready, with blank page as default tab.
                It looks to me that this happens because the default tab is full of shit like Chrome store and other services from Google and cannot be deactivated from settings to have a truly blank page.
                The browser waits to shows you thumbnail ads to their services even in Chromium, even without internet connection.
                How fucked up is that?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  It might, but there's still a lot wrong with Cordova. Having worked with it quite a bit I can't really see a future for it. The web is not an appropriate platform for building applications; the best web applications ignore standard ways of doing things and either render everything as a 3d transformed surface (ionic), or render everything with canvas (flipboard). Then when you get an accessibility requirement, you have to create shadow elements or hack your framework to oblivion to get a screen reader to read the thing right.
                  It is definitely a mess... to put it diplomatically.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    In my experience when it comes to WebGL the fastest browser is Internet Explorer and Edge. They beat Chrome and Firefox in WebGL performance.

The bad thing about Chrome is that it feels so alien on Linux. It doesn't blend in. It doesn't look right.
                    Welcome to real world, pal - linux just sucks at GUI because it doesnt have native GUI, it has only some third party mess that breaks with every update, and because of that no one can make a good looking theme and keep it working through all those updates that breaks everything.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      The Chrome improvements on Android actually look pretty impressive, so that's where I'm happy to see this.

Desktop performance is already good enough.
                      And yet browsing internet through mobile phone is one of the most unsafe things in the entire world to do - mobile browsers are castrated very much, their security sucks, android security sucks balls in general, and with huge amount of phones, many pages target mobile phones in a bad way - they show additional ads, throw a lot of pop-ups and many of them are malware... So yeah, browsing internet via mobile phone and catching "aids" for phones is more common than catching a simple cold in real life ....

Comment

Working...
                      X