Chrome 53 Should Be Blazing Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    In my experience when it comes to WebGL the fastest browser is Internet Explorer [...]
    No kidding. People still use that sh*t?

Comment

Originally posted by startas View Post

Welcome to real world, pal - linux just sucks at GUI because it doesnt have native GUI, it has only some third party mess that breaks with every update, and because of that no one can make a good looking theme and keep it working through all those updates that breaks everything.
      You have no clue, pal. When comes to real mess there's nothing worse than windows. Did you ever think how many toolkits does it use? How many different installers? It's a total mess. In Linux you mostly use Qt and Gtk.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        and ram hogging is where chrome is absolute disaster
        Well, personally I'm more interested in load times, bandwidth use and latency and in my personal experience, Chrome is the winner in those metrics. Getting more RAM is easy, but lost latency is lost. Period. Can't fix FF's poor network performance by simply spending money and I can't be bothered spending time committing code to it when even Mozilla themselves are slowly moving away from FF (as evidenced by Servo/browser.html).

Additionally, Chrome's RAM hogging isn't all that bad. You're only one pair of eyes and hands, how many tabs do you really need opened simulatenously?

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
          Well, personally I'm more interested in load times, bandwidth use and latency and in my personal experience, Chrome is the winner in those metrics. Getting more RAM is easy, but lost latency is lost. Period. Can't fix FF's poor network performance by simply spending money and I can't be bothered spending time committing code to it when even Mozilla themselves are slowly moving away from FF (as evidenced by Servo/browser.html).

Additionally, Chrome's RAM hogging isn't all that bad. You're only one pair of eyes and hands, how many tabs do you really need opened simulatenously?
          only if you have bad connection. with normal connections and having setup things like caching nameserver, enabling any kind of caching just slows it down, reloading beats hdd seek in 99.999%. with how internet speeds changed, caching is only useful if you have metric connection.

but, one thing that i agree on is that FF is no better than chrome. that is why i use personally modified epiphany... for pure speed and resources

as for how many tabs, i never go past screen width since i am firm believer they lose all usability after that point, which is about 8 on my screen with epiphany, chrome is already disaster in the making and seeing how some pages completely burn cpu since people stick most dumb things on net is another clusterfuck while loading same page in epiphany is much less infuriating

to be even more precise, all webapp developers that think creating code editor, movie player or similar weight software as webapp should simply die. better than them touching keyboard ever again. same goes for webapps like hangouts, which is perfect example of how webapp CANNOT work as normal desktop application. the thing is completely useless with constant losing of focus and randomness of how it acts which is kind of obvious since it relies on in-browser-engine WM that constantly clashes with your default one

P.S. yes, i hate web developers. but, only for the reason that from all developer branches they are most miserable/laziest breed, when in fact the nature of their product would require being conscious they need higher standards than any other development. that goes for security and performance. that saying, there are good developers, but for the fact how easy it is to create webapp way too many fuckups join the fray

the chrome sucking as it does just makes me angry when i think about things like this
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 12 June 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

as for how many tabs, i never go past screen width since i am firm believer they lose all usability after that point, which is about 8 on my screen with epiphany, chrome is already disaster in the making and seeing how some pages completely burn cpu since people stick most dumb things on net is another clusterfuck while loading same page in epiphany is much less infuriating
            4Gb physical RAM in this box; just opened the same video in Youtube 10 times (so 10 individual tabs). Obviously, most of my RAM was actually in use by that time but, the system remained perfectly responsive. And closing the tabs was immediate; switching between them as well.

You see, Chrome is not the only variable in that equation. Nor is FF, obviously. A properly configured and built kernel with the proper modules will go a long way to ensuring your system is responsive no matter what workload you're pounding it with. And no browser will completely fix or avoid an improperly configured OS.

Regarding web developers -- It's the same in any type of software development; all kinds of fully featured engines and toolkits, APIs and all excessively bloated and slow. Still, people make use of them left and right because, well, reducing development time means a shorter release cycle, which in the case of commercial products means faster revenue (although, actually, not more; just more immediate, hence faster).

Comment

4Gb physical RAM in this box; just opened the same video in Youtube 10 times (so 10 individual tabs). Obviously, most of my RAM was actually in use by that time but, the system remained perfectly responsive. And closing the tabs was immediate; switching between them as well.

You see, Chrome is not the only variable in that equation. Nor is FF, obviously. A properly configured and built kernel with the proper modules will go a long way to ensuring your system is responsive no matter what workload you're pounding it with. And no browser will completely fix or avoid an improperly configured OS.

Regarding web developers -- It's the same in any type of software development; all kinds of fully featured engines and toolkits, APIs and all excessively bloated and slow. Still, people make use of them left and right because, well, reducing development time means a shorter release cycle, which in the case of commercial products means faster revenue (although, actually, not more; just more immediate, hence faster).
              i really have trouble understanding what you want to say. all browsers are terrible by default and reason for that is simply because they are jack of all trades and master of NOTHING.pffft, even that jack is more or less just clueless fool. kernel configuration and everything else plays zero role here.

as far as developers go. you're far, far from making sense with your claim. the more vulnerable position is, the higher standards become as what is acceptable. let's take web development. your code runs on server and if you're not conscious about security... almost nothing server admin did to protect the server is worth a damn. whole first line of defense is already broken since that web resides on it. at that point only thing left is second line like containers and such. same goes for speed requirement, by default web runs for multiple clients and it is already using one of slowest executions possible. if you add to that lousy web developer, site can practically bog down whole server. not to even mention what can you find when looking at pages. one example (of countless) some guy needed some UTC time conversion and copied whole humongous framework on site, with documentation, examples and tutorial videos... go figure. for lousy 10 lines of code. another example, it is almost normal that web developer takes easiest path like making site on top of wordpress and then after getting paid, never updating it even though wordpress is ridden with bugs that show faster than speed of light.

if someone is doing helloworld, he is not even closely bound to those standards.

and here is the thing. since browsers can expect that they will run 99.99999% of shitty code, they are by default constricted to even higher standards than web developers. looking at chrome at work i'm almost having heart attack. it is like they treat everyone runs useless ChromeOS where browser is the only thing present

another example is HPC. developer that doesn't take every bit into consideration in that space has no place to do that job

maybe what i say sounds harsh, but it is the truth. if someone can't cut it to fill the requirements... he should go and sell potato where he will at least not do harm
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 12 June 2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

you're far, far from making sense with your claim.
                Actually, that is not what is happening here. You're just ranting and raving and, quite frankly, you're also having trouble understanding basic English.

You're even admitting to this yourself, albeit indirectly --
                i really have trouble understanding what you want to say.
                Thing is, we're actually in agreement -- People in software development (web development is a form of software development) have become more and more lazy.

Regarding this:
                kernel configuration and everything else plays zero role here.
                Are you just purposely being dense? Or being stubborn just for the fun of it? So, here you are, ranting, raving and, quite frankly, whining about the state of browsers in general and here I am, not experiencing any of the issues you're experiencing with Chrome. The difference? Well, I can tell you this much -- the difference isn't in Chrome. I do not have access to some magical version of Chrome. It's just v53 (dev channel).

The difference can be found in other applications I am running and, more importantly, in the configuration of this Linux installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

You have no clue, pal. When comes to real mess there's nothing worse than windows. Did you ever think how many toolkits does it use? How many different installers? It's a total mess. In Linux you mostly use Qt and Gtk.
                  And windows is still much better at everything, lol. You have no idea, pal. Even if windows have more toolkits, they all have much better themes, while linux only has a bunch of trash themes... That should tell you just how far linux is behind - all windows toolkits has better themes than those 2 linux toolkits, and windows has a native, rock solid theme that looks better than anything linux will have in thousands of years, just because linux is focusing on command line, and everything graphics related on linux is crap...

Comment

Actually, that is not what is happening here. You're just ranting and raving and, quite frankly, you're also having trouble understanding basic English.

You're even admitting to this yourself, albeit indirectly -- Thing is, we're actually in agreement -- People in software development (web development is a form of software development) have become more and more lazy.
                    ohhh, god. did you even read what you wrote? you basically said that crappy development is acceptable if it is reasoned with more/faster money. how the fuck could we be in agreement?

Regarding this:Are you just purposely being dense? Or being stubborn just for the fun of it? So, here you are, ranting, raving and, quite frankly, whining about the state of browsers in general and here I am, not experiencing any of the issues you're experiencing with Chrome. The difference? Well, I can tell you this much -- the difference isn't in Chrome. I do not have access to some magical version of Chrome. It's just v53 (dev channel).

The difference can be found in other applications I am running and, more importantly, in the configuration of this Linux installation.
                    i think you're being dense here. i am claiming ALL browsers are crappy, chrome is just the worst. there is no magic that could help that clusterfuck being better since it tries to do everything on the world possible.

unlike you i really need constant predictable performance and god knows how many times i went trough hell just to realize 1-3 chrome tabs (while i was still using it and this hasn't gotten any better) are eating abnormal amount of my cpu which caused stuttering in project i work on. main problem being that i simply can't afford to let that pass. and even bigger problem they did that just because they were open. ffs, Chrome was not front app and neither was on my active desktop. that is what i call abysmal case of software. this doesn't happen on every page which only makes it worse, but wtf is the software worth when you have to check your system every time something suspicious is happening and culprit is always the same. it is a fucking Ferrari on pedal engine. this does not happen with either FF or epiphany
                    Last edited by justmy2cents; 12 June 2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

you basically said that crappy development is acceptable if it is reasoned with more/faster money.
                      That is not at all what I wrote or what I meant and I have literally no idea whatsoever how you got that from what I wrote. Literally, no idea whatsoever. Honestly, if you're drawing that conclusion from what I wrote then the language barrier is more vast than I originally assumed.
                      i think you're being dense here. i am claiming ALL browsers are crappy, chrome is just the worst. there is no magic that could help that clusterfuck being better since it tries to do everything on the world possible.
                      And I'm saying, get more knowledgeable. I am not making this up -- no issues whatsoever running Chrome, at all. Learn to abuse Linux's awesome power! It really is the superior OS but it will not spoonfeed everything to you. You need to harness its power. If you build a house on unstable ground, the house is not magically going to be stable. Point being -- a properly configured OS can really go a long way to improving the performance of the applications run within that OS.
                      unlike you i really need constant predictable performance and god knows how many times i went trough hell just to realize 1-3 chrome tabs (while i was still using it and this hasn't gotten any better) are eating abnormal amount of my cpu which caused stuttering in project i work on.
                      Dude, I'm a gamer. Show me one group of people to whom stuttering is more annoying. Really, if you think you need predictable performance then you haven't seen me being picky about predictable performance. I need it to be as fast as possible every possible moment. And I'm telling you, again, the issues you're describing with Chrome I haven't experienced. Not even with 10 youtube videos playing at once will I experience a stutter of any kind.

And no, this PC is not all that powerful. In fact, it's quite the opposite of powerful. It's a 4-core AMD APU, 4 Gb of memory, a HDD (yes, a platter disk, no SSD here) and no discrete GPU. And yet, no stuttering directly as a result of using Chrome.

Comment

Working...
                      X