No announcement yet.

Chrome 53 Should Be Blazing Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

let me guess, until now it only used every single bit of available ram locally, new Chrome comes with benefit of taking over every single available bit of memory on all local computers... for absolutely no visible benefit like always. if anything every time they brag about faster, it only gets faster in test environments since they abuse caching for that specific test. while in real world it actually performs slower due to over caching

from 10-15 releases ago i got really, really dark thoughts of what i would do to people working on it

Comment

In my experience when it comes to WebGL the fastest browser is Internet Explorer and Edge. They beat Chrome and Firefox in WebGL performance.

The bad thing about Chrome is that it feels so alien on Linux. It doesn't blend in. It doesn't look right.

Comment

For anyone thinking "who cares about browser performance" - until the latest round of first person shooter games could work great if released as web apps, there's still work to be done. There's nothing stopping us from reaching that state eventually. No, the web platform will never be as efficient as coding in C, but just as C wasn't as efficient as coding in assembly, the trade-off was worth it for making it accessible to far more developers and making the resulting software easier to maintain. People here should really be getting behind this work, as WebGL is the best bet you're ever gonna have at getting platform neutrality and widespread Linux compatibility as a side effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
          I'm also very excited. Since we've had "much faster" browsers which each version iteration, we are now close to creating a spacetime singularity. Once we are there we will have webpages rendered within a finite amount of euclidean time - including a gazillion ads. Exciting times indeed.
          For true singularity you need software that writes better versions of itself and designs and manufactures better hardware to run this software on top of. I think we're pretty far from that still and this software would basically mean entire OS, not just a browser

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
            For anyone thinking "who cares about browser performance" - until the latest round of first person shooter games could work great if released as web apps, there's still work to be done. There's nothing stopping us from reaching that state eventually. No, the web platform will never be as efficient as coding in C, but just as C wasn't as efficient as coding in assembly, the trade-off was worth it for making it accessible to far more developers and making the resulting software easier to maintain. People here should really be getting behind this work, as WebGL is the best bet you're ever gonna have at getting platform neutrality and widespread Linux compatibility as a side effect.
            Another question is though whether Javascript is the language people should be programming with. At ECMAScript6 level it's much less bad as it used to be but it's still reasonably quirky a language

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Another question is though whether Javascript is the language people should be programming with. At ECMAScript6 level it's much less bad as it used to be but it's still reasonably quirky a language
              Yeah, I'm no Javascript fan, but it sounds like "web assembly" is coming along, so there's at least hope we might eventually see real alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

For true singularity you need software that writes better versions of itself and designs and manufactures better hardware to run this software on top of. I think we're pretty far from that still and this software would basically mean entire OS, not just a browser
                Think about again... ChromeOS!

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  from 10-15 releases ago i got really, really dark thoughts of what i would do to people working on it
                  Then I shudder to think what you would do to the developers of the othe browsers; since in my personal experience, those are notably slower in all metrics I cared to experience.

Comment

This will eventually filter into Android Crosswalk so hopefully it'll help improve some Cordova apps.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      In my experience when it comes to WebGL the fastest browser is Internet Explorer and Edge. They beat Chrome and Firefox in WebGL performance.

The bad thing about Chrome is that it feels so alien on Linux. It doesn't blend in. It doesn't look right.
                      I'm guessing edge is a windows thing. (shrug) No surprise that they make it perform better on windows than the alternatives. Oh well, drop us a line when it's available for ubuntu. (lol, as if)

Comment

Working...
                      X