How KDE VDG Is Trying To Make Open-Source Software Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

No, I think he's genuine. When I saw a full-blown highlighted article about a KDE topic, I also did a double take before i realized "wait, it probably wasn't written by michael".
    Well KDE, Arch and Fedora are my personal points-of-interest, so anytime I can write about them I do try to. Michael tends to cover Ubuntu pretty well, so i figure we don't need Phoronix turning into omgubuntu haha
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

About Calamares i got the feeling "how do we solve with all defferent pkg managers/pkg tools? we create a new".
      VDG is realy interesting and i hope it turns out great.

Comment

KDE is a pig. You have massive amounts of Qt Frameworks and then KDE on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          KDE is a pig. You have massive amounts of Qt Frameworks and then KDE on top of it.

Last time I checked, it used as much RAM and performed the same as GNOME 3. Even XFCE is becoming sorta heavy on resources nowadays (compared to like 5 years ago).

About KDE, tough: I like where their design team is going, altough they should decide if they want things clean or not. And font rendering is still horrible... I don't know if it's me, but neither OS X nor Linux come close to how well Windows renders fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Last time I checked, it used as much RAM and performed the same as GNOME 3. Even XFCE is becoming sorta heavy on resources nowadays (compared to like 5 years ago).

About KDE, tough: I like where their design team is going, altough they should decide if they want things clean or not. And font rendering is still horrible... I don't know if it's me, but neither OS X nor Linux come close to how well Windows renders fonts.
            Interesting that you include OS X in that since its usually considered as having the better fonts
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Oxygen design was already very beautiful and at the time I couldn't think they can make it better. And then they surprised me with Breeze design. It os absolutely amazing. nothing comes even close. In fact the only thing I don't like about it is that it is too flat. I wan't some more 3D feel.

Oh and as for fonts rendering. I find that FreeType works the best for me. Better then any other OS. Maybe it just needs some tewaking and configuring (depending on distribution more or less configuration is needed, but at least Freetype allows you to configure it to your liking which other OSes don't even make it possible).

Comment

Any idea when are expected to see these design changes make it to downstream distributions? Amarok and Muon look SO much better with the VDG input!

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                  The problem that i have with KDE(even though i am currently using it) is they don't give a damn about usability problems, for years. Just a few examples https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61582 , https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312834
                  It was clearly said in those tickets that former needs UX design while latter works as intended

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    ?_o You serious? Jesus. Microsoft has A LOT to learn from Linux about making software development easy. It is the primary thing Linux did. If you want to critize Linux do for mostly catering to developer because it made by for and for developers, don't attack it for its biggest strength.
                    I think he's on about GUI designers, not development tools in general with his word choice "apps"

Comment

Ugh, would be really nice if Michael fixed post editing for mobile devices. Going to the editable section with touch screen is *hard*

Comment

Working...
                      X