No announcement yet.

How KDE VDG Is Trying To Make Open-Source Software Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem that i have with KDE(even though i am currently using it) is they don't give a damn about usability problems, for years. Just a few examples https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61582 , https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312834

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      Thats great, Im glad people in the linux world are finally concerned about this, we need more reasons for people to try linux and like it. Now we need similars efforts in the GTK side.
      you are jocking right gnome looks since 10 years like that. kde was extremly ugly, why gnome was the only choice for normal computer mouse users. I am happy that kde now follows here gnomes way it becomes a possible choice finaly.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
        The problem that i have with KDE(even though i am currently using it) is they don't give a damn about usability problems, for years. Just a few examples https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61582 , https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312834
        I have to agree, I always felt than kde was an unfinished DE, but I haven't tried plasma 5 to see if its better now related to that.

Comment

While reading the article I thought "wow, this is such a nice article, what is it doing on phor... Waaaait a minute..." *scrolls up* "Ericg, of course!.."

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
            My only problem with software development in Linux, is the tools we have, look at Windows, how easy is to make an application, linux has a lot to learn about dev accessibility shit
            ?_o You serious? Jesus. Microsoft has A LOT to learn from Linux about making software development easy. It is the primary thing Linux did. If you want to critize Linux do for mostly catering to developer because it made by for and for developers, don't attack it for its biggest strength.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              ?_o You serious? Jesus. Microsoft has A LOT to learn from Linux about making software development easy. It is the primary thing Linux did. If you want to critize Linux do for mostly catering to developer because it made by for and for developers, don't attack it for its biggest strength.

I think he is of the opinion that because everything is easy to click a button, then it must not be developer friendly. I don't call what all the "developer friendly" environments do developer friendly, I call them newbie friendly. Real developers can aren't limited by their IDE, and can do all of those things the IDE promotes as new features, with tools on the command line.

New developers, ie someone like me, need hand holding until we figure stuff out. But the guys selling Developer friendly IDEs are selling to newbies, the old hats all have the exact environment they need, because they created them.

I simply don't confuse marketing with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                Jim Hall is working with outreachy this year to help perform some usability tests (there's simply no way around usability testing...gnome would've been far better if they'd allow'd the results of testing to be known). Well have to wait and see if the gnome people let these results be shown.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  While reading the article I thought "wow, this is such a nice article, what is it doing on phor... Waaaait a minute..." *scrolls up* "Ericg, of course!.."
                  Honestly not sure if sarcasm, Emerald >.>
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Honestly not sure if sarcasm, Emerald >.>
                    No, I think he's genuine. When I saw a full-blown highlighted article about a KDE topic, I also did a double take before i realized "wait, it probably wasn't written by michael".

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

I think he is of the opinion that because everything is easy to click a button, then it must not be developer friendly. I don't call what all the "developer friendly" environments do developer friendly, I call them newbie friendly. Real developers can aren't limited by their IDE, and can do all of those things the IDE promotes as new features, with tools on the command line.

New developers, ie someone like me, need hand holding until we figure stuff out. But the guys selling Developer friendly IDEs are selling to newbies, the old hats all have the exact environment they need, because they created them.

I simply don't confuse marketing with reality.
                      You aren't talking about developer-friendly. You're talking about enthusiast-friendly.

Which is great, but not the same thing.

The #1 developer friendly thing that can done is having great documentation, and that's something that certain projects on linux do pretty well, and other projects do horribly.

Comment

Working...
                      X