How KDE VDG Is Trying To Make Open-Source Software Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    No, I think he's genuine. When I saw a full-blown highlighted article about a KDE topic, I also did a double take before i realized "wait, it probably wasn't written by michael".
    Yeap, that. Michael never does overview articles like that at all. The most he does is reviews (which is at least better than clickbait articles ).

Comment

KDE VDG does some really good work, but I hate this new trend of flat icons - the Oxygen ones were much better, IMO.
      Still, at least KDE is very customizable, so it shouldn't be too hard to replace them with the old ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        KDE is a pig. You have massive amounts of Qt Frameworks and then KDE on top of it.
        Maybe KDE uses several frameworks but it is light and stable as Gnome/Unity and much, much more beautiful.

The screenshots in the article were just perfect, now I feel Win10 and OsX are ugly

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Yeap, that. Michael never does overview articles like that at all. The most he does is reviews (which is at least better than clickbait articles ).
          Well then thank you, Emerald
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Interesting that you include OS X in that since its usually considered as having the better fonts

Oh no, definitely not true. System fonts in OS X indeed look good and they sorta fixed many things when transitioning their UIs to retina display's pixel density. Look at older, non-apple made programs running on a standard MacBook Pro (non-retina) display and you'll see it's... off. I don't really know how to explain, but it was one of the many reasons I sold my old MacBook Pro (the last of the Core 2 Duo models).

That and the fact the aluminum case frequently gave me electric shocks (grounding is not common here in Brazil); it crashed frequently when running OS X, specially when running Safari and such; incompatibility problems with MS Office (stuff done in Windows versions not rendering properly in the OS X version), OS X Lion and the Mountain Lion were so much worse than Snow Leopard and there was no perspective for things to get better again... oh, and Finder is by far the most stupid file manager I've ever encountered in my life (and I've tried many).

Edit: sorry, I still get upset when I remember the pain it was to deal with it I'm good now

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              oh, and Finder is by far the most stupid file manager I've ever encountered in my life (and I've tried many).
              Pretty sure the gnome 3 port of nautilus takes that cake...

But seriously though, that all sucks >< I've only ever used new macs and usually just the built-in programs so that's probably why they looked fine to me.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Agreed - a proper article that's neither half-a-page of out-of-context blog quotes nor a giant string of graphs with minimal analysis. Thanks, ericg!
                Last edited by FLHerne; 01 July 2015, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Ericg!

Comment

The buttons at lower left in image http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...g_settings_med should be replaced with non 3d ones. Should be like the "cancel", "preview" and "post reply" in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                      About KDE, tough: I like where their design team is going, altough they should decide if they want things clean or not. And font rendering is still horrible... I don't know if it's me, but neither OS X nor Linux come close to how well Windows renders fonts.
                      As a long time KDE 4 user I agree that you have to futz about a lot to fix the stock KDE font rendering (using infinality fonts, etc.) and other usability "issues" (e.g. Kwallet not unlocking automatically when you login). But for my main distro of choice (Gentoo) it's worth the investment (because I can stick with KDE 4 till Plasma Frameworks, et al, is fully baked in).

Comment

Working...
                      X