KDE MegaRelease 6 Debuts For Plasma 6.0, KF6 & Gear 24.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    So far it's working awesome on Arch since I've jumped from the KDE-unstable repo to just the normal Testing Repo. This is with Wayland under Nvidia graphics on my test machine too.

One big improvement, aside from the final bug fixes from the KDE team, is that I'm back on the Qt 6.6 series since Arch uses the (unsupported) Qt 6.7 Beta build in the KDE-unstable repo. Very smooth experience and everything seems to work... now time to upgrade my main system which should be even happier since it uses an AMD GPU.
    Really? They downgraded us back to 6.6? That seems like a mess... Though of course an unreleased 6.7 has no place in a non beta repo.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Really? They downgraded us back to 6.6? That seems like a mess... Though of course an unreleased 6.7 has no place in a non beta repo.
      Nothing got "downgraded" it's that mainline Arch uses the most up to date officially launched version of Qt (6.6.2). This is also the version of Qt that KDE recommends to use with the 6.0 release. The specialized KDE-unstable repository tracks the beta version of Qt, but that's not mainline Arch (not even "testing" mainline).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, I usually upgrade my main monitor, the old main goes to the side, the old "to the side" gets given away or stored.
        I really liked 16:10, but there's no such choice for 4k. Sadly.
        Luckily it does exist in laptops. I'm typing this on 3840 x 2400.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzie View Post

Luckily it does exist in laptops. I'm typing this on 3840 x 2400.
          16:9 I dislike, but laptops I hate

And like someone has already said, real-estate tends to be less of a problem at 4k.

Comment

Assuming a laptop is something you need, 3:2 or 16:10 is much nicer to use than 16:9. Of course if you don't need one, don't get one.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            And like someone has already said, real-estate tends to be less of a problem at 4k.
            That's a bit of a half truth, at least to me. Only 1024 x 600 is a problem compared to 1024 x 768, anything above is less than ideal but obviously not an actual problem. (It's possible that we should update that to 1280 x 720 in 2024, or you might even argue for 1600 x 900, but that's neither here nor there.) I happily use 4k at what's called something like 125% and 150% nowadays, which is indeed quite good, both at 24" and 27". But it'd still be better with just a little more space at the bottom. You can generally arrange things side by side instead of underneath, which is sometimes better and sometimes a coping mechanism. In short, 4k is a bit like sharper 1920 x 1200 while it could be better.

There is an alternative solution that should yield the same result: still 16:9, but at 5k. That is to say, something like the vertical equivalent of ye olde 2560 x 1600 with some extra space on the side instead of 1920 x 1200 with some extra space on the side. You don't even need to go any larger really; basically 4k is perfect at 24" and 5k would be perfect at 27". Talking in terms of pixel density of course, ultimately I still think 16:10 would be better for both.

Comment

Look forward to testing this on a Tumbleweed VM when is lands there, going nowhere near my daily bare metal desktop for a while though. I still have scorched memories of early plasma 4, but this may be different and could be stable much sooner. We'll see and bugzilla at the ready.

Comment

Where is Gentoo folks, how is it going with KDE 6?

Comment

I have since installed the new version. Most of it looks ok.
                  My findings so far:
                  + The 1Password desktop app does not crash the entire Wayland session anymore! Yay!
                  + Scrolling feels smoother.

- The new "floating panel" only shows when no maximized apps are open, so it's basically a feature that cost a lot of development time that is invisible most of the time.
                  - The power button on my Dell Precision 3540 doesn't initiate shutdown anymore. Also the "Shut Down" and "Restart" options in the launcher don't function any more. I now have to shut down / reboot from the terminal. (link)
                  - The calculator button on keyboard doesn't launch Kcalc anymore. (might be related to power button issue?)
                  - Mouse cursor loses its theme in Snap applications. (I think this is a Wayland issue) (Also applies to Flatpak apps I think)

Comment

Already up and sipping, for RISCV64 and Itanium no less: https://cleanlinux.com/packages/

Comment

Further issues (on Xorg session):
                      1. the desktop color no longer matches third party's programs (such as libre office from flatpak);
                      2. it's no longer possible to restart or shutdown the computer by the typical icons;
                      3. the task bar no longer applies the floating and transparent style if not hided;
                      4. the menu of the task bar doesn't hide itself although clicking out of the menu until one of its app in the sub menu is not requested;
                      5. the default tiles on the taskbar tends to persist although be removed continuously.
                      Last edited by MorrisS.; 01 March 2024, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X