KDE MegaRelease 6 Debuts For Plasma 6.0, KF6 & Gear 24.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    IMHO, slightly taller aspect ratios are only useful at resolutions below 1440p. Once you have enough resolution, the slightly extra vertical space from the x10 aspect ratio becomes less meaningful. That assumes good eyesight.
    This is precisely how I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      As I predicted has been a full mess.

It seems as the computer runs on an HDD without the use of RAM: a task of 1 second is made in 10 minutes. It's a pity because wayland session worked on Plasma5 although some artifact and other compatibility issues in different third part's programs. The positive note deals with the graphic side... it seems real better provided by an excellent rasterization. Now tell me how can an user run an operating system completely useless.
      I don't know if the mess is caused by some Nvidia unmanaged algorhytm... but the fact is that all worked well on Plasma 5. So the developers have made some severe mistakes.
      Another bad regression: the printer manager is uselessly chaotic. It seems really good like shit. Why do you change something that is good?
      I love how you describe your problem in so much detail, so people can't accuse you of trolling.

Comment

Anyone know if the Global Menu is working for both Qt and GTK apps?

Comment

The ironic thing is yesterday I decided to stop using Plasma.

Not a joke, for years I considered Mate to be the best DE for Linux but a while ago I started running into some performance issues with the GUI freezing when copying a lot of files from one location to another and switched to KDE because of its good integration with Dolphin, which seems to be a lot better in this regard.

KDE Plasma 5 has this weird bug where the system fans would go to max and my laptop would sound like a helicopter taking off, but other than that things worked well enough.

Yesterday something very odd happened, I use Chrome with a bunch of ad blockers, and as i followed a link to a news article i came to a site that was loading the way a site does when normally there would be a bunch of ads but because of the blocker there are empty spaces and the site keeps readjusting itself as content gets loaded.

This time it was even strangers, because portions of the site were being highlighted in boxes, almost like someone trying to take a screenshot of various sections of the site.

I figured this was being caused by an ad-blocker behaving wonky so I shut down the browser only to discover that my desktop was behaving the same way, I have a bunch of folder on my desktop and the folder icons were being highlighted one by one like someone was clicking on them.

It looked like someone had remoted into my system but for numerous reasons that is not possible,

Just to be on the safe side I did a hard shutdown and booted up again and the I found that the settings had been changed so that if I clicked on a folder icon, kate would open up.

Even worse, I was unable to change the settings back so that folders would open with Dolphin again.

I decided it was as good a time as any for a clean install, so I downloaded LMDE and used the live-usb to backup my files and while i was at it figured give it a try.

That didn't go well, as even though I chose to format the root partition upon rebooting into the new OS I found that the bash history file had survived and was being used because when I opened the terminal i accidentally hit the up key and found all the commands I had used in the previous install still intact.

Poking around showed that other logs had survived, like history of all opened files and folders, etc.

I suppose that it's possible I accidentally unchecked the box that said format during install.

Now I am back on Fedora Mate, I'm done with Debian and Ubuntu and KDE/Plasma for a while.

Long story short, I won't be trying Plasma 6, maybe Plasma 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
            Does anyone know when this is coming to KDE Neon?
            It just did in the Neon User Edition. I just downloaded the ISO and can confirm it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I love how you describe your problem in so much detail, so people can't accuse you of trolling.
              In all fairness, the term "trolling" originates in the early days of the internet and it refers to people that are trying to start an argument.

Expressing your experiences with a piece of software does not constitute trolling, it constitutes sharing your experiences.

I have been on the record with saying that I had nothing but problems with Win Me and that I hated Win XP when it first came out, as i did Vista, Win 8 and 8.1.

Is that trolling or is it sharing an opinion and personal experiences?

What is it with this forum, no one is allowed to have or express an opinion unless it consists of the GPL is great, Linux and all open source software is great and there are no problems with them?

Comment

Originally posted by sergk View Post
                Anyone know if the Global Menu is working for both Qt and GTK apps?
                No, it can't be fixed without a new wayland protocol.

EDIT: Still works in x11 fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Many thanks. the issue occurs even using Mesa drivers.

In my previous comment I also listed positive evaluations. However I assume that I need a clean install to verify if slowness affects the Wayland session. What I note is that what worked in Plasma 5 no longer works in Plasma 6.

As for my bad consideration on the modified Printer page, I bet that 90% users agree with the regression its own setting frame has now.
                  Last edited by MorrisS.; 28 February 2024, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    The ironic thing is yesterday I decided to stop using Plasma.

Not a joke, for years I considered Mate to be the best DE for Linux but a while ago I started running into some performance issues with the GUI freezing when copying a lot of files from one location to another and switched to KDE because of its good integration with Dolphin, which seems to be a lot better in this regard.

KDE Plasma 5 has this weird bug where the system fans would go to max and my laptop would sound like a helicopter taking off, but other than that things worked well enough.

Yesterday something very odd happened, I use Chrome with a bunch of ad blockers, and as i followed a link to a news article i came to a site that was loading the way a site does when normally there would be a bunch of ads but because of the blocker there are empty spaces and the site keeps readjusting itself as content gets loaded.

This time it was even strangers, because portions of the site were being highlighted in boxes, almost like someone trying to take a screenshot of various sections of the site.

I figured this was being caused by an ad-blocker behaving wonky so I shut down the browser only to discover that my desktop was behaving the same way, I have a bunch of folder on my desktop and the folder icons were being highlighted one by one like someone was clicking on them.

It looked like someone had remoted into my system but for numerous reasons that is not possible,

Just to be on the safe side I did a hard shutdown and booted up again and the I found that the settings had been changed so that if I clicked on a folder icon, kate would open up.

Even worse, I was unable to change the settings back so that folders would open with Dolphin again.

I decided it was as good a time as any for a clean install, so I downloaded LMDE and used the live-usb to backup my files and while i was at it figured give it a try.

That didn't go well, as even though I chose to format the root partition upon rebooting into the new OS I found that the bash history file had survived and was being used because when I opened the terminal i accidentally hit the up key and found all the commands I had used in the previous install still intact.

Poking around showed that other logs had survived, like history of all opened files and folders, etc.

I suppose that it's possible I accidentally unchecked the box that said format during install.

Now I am back on Fedora Mate, I'm done with Debian and Ubuntu and KDE/Plasma for a while.

Long story short, I won't be trying Plasma 6, maybe Plasma 7.
                    Your inability to manage aspects of your system that have nothing to do with KDE Plasma 5 has… what… to do exactly with avoiding Plasma 6?

Comment

So far it's working awesome on Arch since I've jumped from the KDE-unstable repo to just the normal Testing Repo. This is with Wayland under Nvidia graphics on my test machine too.

One big improvement, aside from the final bug fixes from the KDE team, is that I'm back on the Qt 6.6 series since Arch uses the (unsupported) Qt 6.7 Beta build in the KDE-unstable repo. Very smooth experience and everything seems to work... now time to upgrade my main system which should be even happier since it uses an AMD GPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X