Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ilgazcl View Post
    So where is gimp-qt or gimp-electron?

GIMP is quite a large application. I'd expect this to be a multi-person multi-year effort that not many people are willing to take.

Originally posted by ilgazcl View Post
    You know the GIMP's real problem? Arrogance.
    Because they don't want to spend years rewriting GIMP's UI in Qt in their spare time instead of doing actually meaningful work? I think you got some serious entitlement issues right there. Nobody owes you anything. In FOSS, you either encourage people to do something or you pay them to. In fact, that's how the entire society works. You should know that, you are part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

GIMP is quite a large application. I'd expect this to be a multi-person multi-year effort that not many people are willing to take.

It is the GTK which caused them spend years to come up with a new major and still unliked U toolkit. Right now I am running KDE6 which moved from Qt5 to Qt6 in months. It is the most advanced Desktop ever written.

Because they don't want to spend years rewriting GIMP's UI in Qt in their spare time instead of doing actually meaningful work? I think you got some serious entitlement issues right there. Nobody owes you anything. In FOSS, you either encourage people to do something or you pay them to. In fact, that's how the entire society works. You should know that, you are part of it.
      I won't get into details, but this RTFM like slogan talk wouldn't work for me. What is the default save format of GIMP? Have fun. <EOF>

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Isn't it at least a little bizarre that the team delivers massive workflow changes, but almost everyone is fixating on the toolkit version?
        meh... i think it's just our inside nitpicking-geek speaking...

it's at least funny that GIMP created GTK and now they're playing catch with it and can't keep up with the GTK pace
        (yeah, i'm aware of the few resources and so on...)

I wonder for how long they'll be able to make the needed adjustments without becoming based on an "unsupported" toolkit version...

Comment

What about Krita?

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
            What about Krita?
            I tried to replace GIMP by Krita. Krita is fantastic, has superior wacom tablet support, has non destructive features with true vector layers and other stuff, has a fantastic radial menu, and has the most important plugin available as well: GMIC. It works well as painting program and general edits can be done too. I tried to use it as a general editor, but there are all the little stuff that is different. The menus, options, features and usability differences, even for same tools, sometimes I was missing a little feature with a specific tool. I forgot the details. Maybe its a skill issue and I need to learn how to use it more often. I want to (its installed as well).

One thing that bugs me a lot is the text tool with Krita. It's garbage. They know it too and they are working on it. The text tool in GIMP is really good and whenever I need it, its invaluable. At the moment, Krita is not a replacement for GIMP for me (I am not a professional of any kind). But its installed and I am giving it another shot.

Comment

Working...
            X