No announcement yet.

GIMP Releases Last Development Version For GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest development version has these really cool non-destructive layer effects.

The new UX is light-years ahead of the previous iteration in terms of form and function.

I've done massive files architecting things in GIMP and even since 2 years ago the stability of using hundreds of layers on such a large surface has improved tremendously.

As pointed out earlier in this thread the GEGL work, color space, non-destructive editing, new UX, new base, have been the focus ... and if you don't read their blog carefully or use the software you will "not get it"

A watched kettle never boils. Well have arrived -- the kettle is starting to whistle.

Comment

While calling it "photoshop alternative" is SEO and hit friendly along with being argument creating, it is not a Photoshop alternative. I am saying as a person using both and hoping for something like "GIMP engine on the cloud/localhost".

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        Funny, how they are finishing porting Gimp to GTK 3 which is already almost obsolete, because there is GTK 4 and the last major GTK 3 release was autumn 2018 (GTK 3.24) which is currently maintained as LTS release.
        The core and UI layer should have been separated a decade ago. GIMP should have been a service which people could build things on, including web services.

Comment

I may catch some heat but GIMP is far behind on features. Never mind Photoshop, even other open source programs are now able to do basic things like AI and background replace/removal like the image program in Deepin. Regardless, I still use it for my image editing needs. I'm thankful it even exists.

Comment

I use the development version for a year now, because i wanted all those old dependencies of gimp2 gone.

I am not impressed at. In fact, it was always really laggy with random crashes, UI flickering and that horrible CSD of gtk (confirmation button in the title bar where otherwise the X is are sooo great, thanks GNOME) with it's awful file picker without thumbnails.

Comment

Originally posted by ilgazcl View Post

The core and UI layer should have been separated a decade ago.
              And you really think it isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post

And with "many gimp developers" we're talking maybe a couple of dudes with other dayjobs, doing 2.10 work, GEGL and Gimp 2.99 when there's time to spare.

The new architecture is much more pleasant to work on, hopefully it can attract people. It holds a lot of promise on a technical level.
                Where can I find some in depth but accessible description of this new architecture? Like a blog post or something?

Sorry for asking, but either I'm too dumb to find it or modern search engines are literal thrash.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

And you really think it isn't?
                  I'm completely ignorant on the matter, so take this comment as you will. My guess is the other commenter meant how (from impressions I have as an outsider) gtk pulls a lot of business logic to it, when compared with qml/qt.

As I said, I haven't experienced either, and am just a dumbfsck and can't give examples. But remember Torvalds stating this when he was presenting his diving software.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post
                    Where can I find some in depth but accessible description of this new architecture? Like a blog post or something?
                    https://gegl.org/ is the image processing engine that replaced the old one.

UI and core logic have been separated for a very long time.

Comment

S
                      Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

https://gegl.org/ is the image processing engine that replaced the old one.

UI and core logic have been separated for a very long time.
                      So where is gimp-qt or gimp-electron? Why a graphics professional deciding to test gimp gets gtk-windows interface? You know the GIMP's real problem? Arrogance.

Comment

Working...
                      X