Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP Releases Last Development Version For GIMP 3.0

Phoronix: GIMP Releases Last Development Version For GIMP 3.0

GIMP 2.99.18 was released today as the last planned development version prior in the long road to GIMP 3.0 that has been a decade in the making for this free software Adobe Photoshop alternative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny, how they are finishing porting Gimp to GTK 3 which is already almost obsolete, because there is GTK 4 and the last major GTK 3 release was autumn 2018 (GTK 3.24) which is currently maintained as LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Funny, how they are finishing porting Gimp to GTK 3 which is already almost obsolete, because there is GTK 4 and the last major GTK 3 release was autumn 2018 (GTK 3.24) which is currently maintained as LTS release.
      It makes sense to port to an LTS release and since GTK 3 is a lot more closer to GTK 4 so all the changes GIMP is doing will largely carry over to newer GTK versions.

Comment

Great job Gimp Team! 🍾🍾🍾

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
          It makes sense to port to an LTS release
          I agree that it makes sense to port to an LTS release. But not necessary the last one after so many years it has been released.

Comment

I agree that it makes sense to port to an LTS release. But not necessary the last one after so many years it has been released.
            Years are far less relevant than the API changes. GTK 4 is incremental so I disagree

Comment

When the work on upgrading the toollkit in GIMP started, there was only GTK3. GIMP is a project with limited resources, and they have stated no current plans to put those resources into a GTK4 uplift, and have even suggested they might wait for GTK5 to be released before they consider such an change (skipping GTK4 entirely).

Comment

Even though I definitely acknowledge the fact that the have (very) limited resources (compared to most companies) I'm a bit surprised at the fact that they mix GTK3 porting (i.e. the Gimp 2.x -> *3.x* shift) with so much feature development. I understand that it takes a long time to port to GTK3 if they spend a large portion (a majority I guess?) on developing new features while also porting to a new GTK version.
                A guess is that a reason for that is that many Gimp developers are more interested in image manipulation development over framework development?

Comment

Memory leaks and similar problems on various operating systems made this development effort pain and with also Wayland problems occurence simply it is disaster for project, but somehow release is now reality

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Even though I definitely acknowledge the fact that the have (very) limited resources (compared to most companies) I'm a bit surprised at the fact that they mix GTK3 porting (i.e. the Gimp 2.x -> *3.x* shift) with so much feature development. I understand that it takes a long time to port to GTK3 if they spend a large portion (a majority I guess?) on developing new features while also porting to a new GTK version.
                    A guess is that a reason for that is that many Gimp developers are more interested in image manipulation development over framework development?
                    When they were doing the opposite, it almost killed the project.

GIMP development is imo only as alive as it is because they changed development focus to allow other featurework and even backports to 2.10.

I like though both those that would have posted "We need colour correctness" and "Non Destructive editing or NOTHING" in past posts by now suddenly have to find new criticisms.

Comment

Working...
                    X