Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news! But no Appimage???

Comment

I am a KDE/Plasma user, but I like Gimp since The very beginning using GNU/Linux. Im Happy they can finish The Port to Gtk3 and I Hope they can do The Port to Next gtk version faster although today I dont use Gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post
        Great news! But no Appimage???
        Make one and propose to the development team.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
          Sorry, I don't get your point. Python 2.x has been indeed phased out of most distros out there. So what do you think they should have done?
          At some point in the last 5 years they should have bolted on Python 3 support into GIMP 2.x so GIMP users could use the myriad of great plug-ins available for GIMP written in Python, and continue creating new ones.

This lack of Python 3 support did hurt GIMP users a lot over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

At some point in the last 5 years they should have bolted on Python 3 support into GIMP 2.x so GIMP users could use the myriad of great plug-ins available for GIMP written in Python, and continue creating new ones.

This lack of Python 3 support did hurt GIMP users a lot over the years.
            Sorry, I still don't get. Supposing GIMP2 gets ported to Python3 somehow (doesn't seem like a straightforward thing to do at all). How does it automagically update all existing Python plugins to Python 3?

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

When the work on upgrading the toollkit in GIMP started, there was only GTK3. GIMP is a project with limited resources, and they have stated no current plans to put those resources into a GTK4 uplift, and have even suggested they might wait for GTK5 to be released before they consider such an change (skipping GTK4 entirely).
              Considering that last year there was already talks about GTK5 (see: https://blog.gtk.org/2023/02/09/upda...om-inside-gtk/ ), that seems the right thing to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Considering that last year there was already talks about GTK5 (see: https://blog.gtk.org/2023/02/09/upda...om-inside-gtk/ ), that seems the right thing to do...
                Isn't it at least a little bizarre that the team delivers massive workflow changes, but almost everyone is fixating on the toolkit version?

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post

The work is not exactly the toolkit, it's because they had to replace all the custom controls/widgets with modern toolkit ones and because it works quite differently they then had to rewrite large chunks of the program around it. What matters is that it's now using contemporary patterns for the toolkit.
                  *nod* GTK2→3 is comparable to Qt3→4. Both happened at roughly the same time and jettisoned a lot of legacy API design decisions, while following major version bumps were much more incremental and less disruptive.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Originally posted by You-
                    I like though both those that would have posted "We need colour correctness" and "Non Destructive editing or NOTHING" in past posts by now suddenly have to find new criticisms.
                    I don't identify as either of those, but perhaps you were talking about someone else.
                    Yeah it wasnt aimed at you or anyone else in particular, but at past comment sections on GIMP stories which would often lead with "GIMP IS USELESS without Hi bitrate/Non destructive editing, I will NEVER USE IT" etc etc. suddenly those people have to find new things to say.

One other thing that people miss with the gimp 3 release is that in essence it is a double-port - once to gtk3 and then again to modern gtk3. There were big changes during the gtk3 cycle which changed a lot of things over the 10 years of its active lifecycle, with the initial release before even Wayland being an idea in gtk developers mind.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Isn't it at least a little bizarre that the team delivers massive workflow changes, but almost everyone is fixating on the toolkit version?
                      They cant beat you up for not having high bit rate, or NDE, so I would call that a success.

For me NDE should be a gamechanger as I tried to change a poster a few months ago and getting the text wrong and then fixing things seemed to take way too much effort (as a non-GIMP expert. I only use it like once a year or every other year).

Comment

Working...
                      X