No announcement yet.

Three Weeks To Go Until The KDE Plasma 6.0 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this will set the standard and become something of a reference desktop for Linux. It's certainly the most stable and glitch free plasma release i have ever seen, and it's not even released yet.

Comment

Originally posted by devling View Post
      Looking forward to it, KDE Plasma really feels like the most capable and complete DE at the moment. Great job!
      Well, as mostly a laptop user, I can't consider it the most capable and complete DE until it has modern gesture options, controls, and customizations that can approach what Gnome and Windows are doing. Apparently, that's KDE 6.1 at earliest. When that happens, let's reassess...

Comment

Originally posted by Iiari View Post

Well, as mostly a laptop user, I can't consider it the most capable and complete DE until it has modern gesture options, controls, and customizations that can approach what Gnome and Windows are doing. Apparently, that's KDE 6.1 at earliest. When that happens, let's reassess...
        In the customization area, Plasma 5 has no competition and it has all gesture settings one can find in those you listed. Plasma 6 is just better. There is nothing to reassess.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

In the customization area, Plasma 5 has no competition and it has all gesture settings one can find in those you listed. Plasma 6 is just better. There is nothing to reassess.
          Um, not quite. Not for touchpad gestures, which the KDE folks themselves admit. See this link to their forums recently. It was they who (elsewhere) suggested that 6.1 would be the earliest we'd see something.

Comment

Um, not quite. Not for touchpad gestures, which the KDE folks themselves admit. See this link to their forums recently. It was they who (elsewhere) suggested that 6.1 would be the earliest we'd see something.
            oh I see, you are on propaganda tour to get what you want. I don't agree, I don't support. There is enough feature for my use. And, that is not less than what I see in Gnome or Windows. ok?

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

oh I see, you are on propaganda tour to get what you want. I don't agree, I don't support. There is enough feature for my use. And, that is not less than what I see in Gnome or Windows. ok?
              Chill, friend. You replied to me. And "propaganda tour" is a wee dramatic a term for, "feature request," don't you think? I just found someone on KDE's forum requesting one of the same features I'm looking for, posted the above link in the reply to you, and added my own post of support. KDE themselves says it's a WIP for a future point release. No biggie... And I've been a monthly financial contributor to the KDE project since '19 even though it's not even the main DE I'm using daily. So I'm certainly not a hater, just hoping they can one day match the important gesture features for me in my workflow that I enjoy in Gnome and Windows. Chill bro...

Comment

So you have Alt+Tab, you have the mouse to the corner, but since you can't do the very same thing using three finger swipe, then it's missing "modern gesture options, controls, and customizations that can approach what Gnome and Windows are doing". To each, their own, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

So you have Alt+Tab, you have the mouse to the corner, but since you can't do the very same thing using three finger swipe, then it's missing "modern gesture options, controls, and customizations that can approach what Gnome and Windows are doing". To each, their own, I guess.
                  The controls and customizations are much more extensive and granular than that. You must admit there's a bit of irony in the DE that's the ultimate in configuration offering the least gesture control with a Gnome-like, "take the options we give you" stance... That said, you don't have the believe me, the KDE devs themselves have identified touchpad gestures as an area of future improvement and opportunity for build-out and we'll (hopefully) see that reach the finish line eventually.

Comment

The controls and customizations are much more extensive and granular than that. You must admit there's a bit of irony in the DE that's the ultimate in configuration offering the least gesture control with a Gnome-like, "take the options we give you" stance... That said, you don't have the believe me, the KDE devs themselves have identified touchpad gestures as an area of future improvement and opportunity for build-out and we'll (hopefully) see that reach the finish line eventually.
                    I get that KDE can't be the most customizable in every aspect*, I just feel it's still the king of customization despite that.

*Gnome3 has always had that "tablet" feel, it's not entirely surprising the devs gave gestures more thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I get that KDE can't be the most customizable in every aspect*, I just feel it's still the king of customization despite that.

*Gnome3 has always had that "tablet" feel, it's not entirely surprising the devs gave gestures more thought.
                      I agree with you that it is the customization king still, but as a KDE fan and supporter, I just want it to be better on laptops than it is now. Surveys have long shown desktop OS's to be more used on laptops than desktops for at least 10-15 years now, and the gap keeps growing in favor of laptops every year. That makes KDE's seeming lack of focus on laptops' most critical feature (the trackpad) feel all the more frustrating. And Gnome's efforts here have been appreciated (touchpad gestures are quite different from touchscreen gestures, although Gnome is now good at both). This is also an area where, sadly, Windows and MacOS are legitimately strong.

Again, KDE devs have identified this as an area of increased focus in the near future, and I'm looking forward to it... That'll finally make KDE the king all around (SteamDeck, desktop, and laptop)....
                      Last edited by Iiari; 15 February 2024, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X