XDG Top-Level Drag Protocol Approved For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post

On the other hand I would argue the opposite - the urgent or easy work has already been done, so what you are left is with features that people can argue about a lot.

After 15 years if there are protocols that can be agreed within a day, why haven't they already been done? Unless it is a sudden new use case, that could be shown as Wayland being terrible.

As for this protocol, I didnt even know it was missing and a post on here explained what it allowed which I thought I was already doing when dragging between two firefox windows (but wasnt, as just checking now, dragging a tab to the desktop does nothing).
    Wayland on a desktop is a "sudden new use case". Wayland was only supposed to be used for some kiosk application.

Mir on the other hand, targeted Desktops and made more progress in one year than Walyand in 10. But Mir failed, because some corporations didn't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      So your saying the 97% of people using Windows are wrong? ok mate, cya later.
      You need to work on your reading comprehension. I'm saying you're wrong. You also need to work on your number comprehension. Windows does not have a 97% marketshare. Linux has almost a 4% marketshare alone and macOS has almost 20%. Windows has just over 70%.

But more importantly, marketshare just means marketshare. It doesn't mean that everyone has used macOS, Linux, and Windows and just over 70% said they liked Windows the best, 20% like macOS, and 4% like Linux the best. It's just saying thats what percentage of people use them. A large portion of them are going to be work computers so the decision of the hardware or operating system was event made by the people using them. A large amount of the others use Windows because it came with the computer they buy.

The majority of Windows users don't have an opinion on Linux because they've never heard of it before.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Wayland on a desktop is a "sudden new use case". Wayland was only supposed to be used for some kiosk application.

Mir on the other hand, targeted Desktops and made more progress in one year than Walyand in 10. But Mir failed, because some corporations didn't want it.
        How few people here feel any obligation to live in the real world with the rest of us?

Comment

If anyone asks why Linux hasn't already became the best desktop OS vs Windows, OR why Wayland isn't ready. You can point them to things like this.

Linux Desktop/OS: COLOSSAL potential, at a excruciating snails pace compared to proprietary desktop OS
          Doing stuff quickly, and getting it wrong, means you need to take more time clearing up the mess and re-doing it, hopefully correctly the next time. It is the opposite of the 'move fast and break things' approach.

Both approaches can be criticised. Depending on the circumstances, either could be the 'best' way of doing things, but it takes a wise person to make the correct choice, especially when making decisions that can set a path for years, if not decades, and will commit untold resources - both your own, and other people's.

What I do know is that knee-jerk reactions, especially from people who do not understand the subject matter deeply, are not helpful. I freely admit to not having a deep understanding of desktop/graphics, so my views on it are about as useful as asking a 'person-in-the-street' about state-level diplomacy or nuclear engineering.

I continue to be curious about how some of the gaps in functionality between what the X Window System is used for and what the Wayland ecosystem is capable of will be filled, but I am reasonably certain they will be filled, eventually.

Comment

So your saying the 97% of people using Windows are wrong? ok mate, cya later.
            I would ask if the 97% had a free choice, and determined what was the best option for their particular use-case?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

I would ask if the 97% had a free choice, and determined what was the best option for their particular use-case?
              I am forced to use a Windows and a Mac machine at work but I'd rather have a Linux box but that doesn't seem possible yet.
              Therefore I am boosting statistics for the platforms I do not want to use and am missing on the option I want to use. Lose lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I thought that was Stenzek who develops Duckstation and PCSX2, not Dolphin.
                *facepalm* And I really thought I was over the hump of "Brain: You're getting enough sleep? Then I'll show you how much sleep debt I've been hiding from you."

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Mir only ever existed because a *corporation* was willing to pay money and develop it. On the other hand, Wayland exists because everyone wanted it and were willing to work on it even for free.

In the end Wayland conquered Mir and Mir was converted into a framework for building Wayland desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                    The majority of Windows users don't have an opinion on Linux because they've never heard of it before.
                    It doesn't fucking matter if they have an opinion or used it before. All that matters is that they're perfectly fine with Windows despite what hysterical "Security" clowns claim, since you know Windows allows you to do sane things that Wayland does not, like every other fucking display server in existence, including macOS and X11.

Wayland is the only black sheep here.

Comment

day 6969 of wayland needing protocols for the most basic shit, that each WM has to implement

Comment

Working...
                      X