Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 9.0 Released With Initial Wayland Driver, WoW64 Taking Shape & Better Direct3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just install steamos on a drive that way my games cant spy on my main system, still risky because they could infect my UEFI or EFI partition and get on the main system. Still figuring out what to do. my main system doesnt have 16bit/32bit support, not kernel nor libraries.

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
    Back in 2017 or 18, Wine supported Office 2016, though with many tweaks needed, and even then it was buggy and crashed sometimes.

I wonder if there's been any progress since then?

[spoiler]The answer is NO[/spoiler]
    i think times is better spent improving libreoffice.​
    Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 17 January 2024, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

Can you explain what system provides a better solution which is stable but still evolving. Please don't tell me something about ABI because that is not providing behavior stability.
      Nix

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Both flatpak and snap are terrible crap which don't belong to Linux.

They were created precisely because API/ABI compatibility in Linux is a freaking joke.
        I don't love Flatpaks either for some of the same reasons mentioned in that article but that doesn't mean they're "terrible crap". They work and have the advantage of being able to install apps in the Home directory. So if you're someone like me who has Home on a second drive, then you could reinstall your OS and all of your Flatpaks apps and settings will be installed and available immediately. That's a very attractive feature and is only possible because some of the same libraries installed on your system are duplicated in the home directory.

For that reason, I just moved a bunch of apps over to Flatpaks this past week to experiment with for a little while.

Also let's not act like applications don't just ship with copies of libraries on Windows. If you install 10 Qt5 or SDL2 apps on Windows then you have 10 copies of Qt5 and SDL2 on your computer. That's been the case for years and years. It's not causing people to download hundreds of megabytes for a Calculator but I also never used a calculator app on Windows that wasn't the built-in one.
        Last edited by Myownfriend; 17 January 2024, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Not useful? Close to 2 billion Windows users disagree with you.

How being a programmer or not is relevant to this discussion? Microsoft has implemented WinSxS which works beautifully, Linux woeful programmers have implemented basically a full-featured VM just to retain compatibility. I'm not interested in running Linux only VMs. I already have VirtualBox for that.
          You sound like Miguel de Icaza and other developers that transitioned from Linux to Windows. You should be brave enough and make the switch

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

You sound like Miguel de Icaza and other developers that transitioned from Linux to Windows. You should be brave enough and make the switch
            I have Windows 10 installed for gaming. There's no need to make the switch.

Comment

Another exciting release of something that Linux doesn't have, and that's stable userspace API/ABI (sans RHEL but barely anyone uses it on desktop).
              If you mean linux as ecosystem, then yes, it is probably better than macos, but worse than windows. If you mean Linux as kernel, then it is super extreme stable and thanks to that it allows all that container technologies

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                i think times is better spent improving libreoffice.​
                That's going to take even longer to reach feature parity. And even if it was 100% compatible, there's still finance boomers who know a thousand Excel keyboard shortcuts by heart and won't want to learn new shortcuts or (gasp) start using the mouse.

Crossover claims to be compatible with Office 365 - how hard can it really be to get decent compatibility in normal Wine, without a million tweaks?

Comment

Not useful? Close to 2 billion Windows users disagree with you.

How being a programmer or not is relevant to this discussion? Microsoft has implemented WinSxS which works beautifully, Linux woeful programmers have implemented basically a full-featured VM just to retain compatibility. I'm not interested in running Linux only VMs. I already have VirtualBox for that.
                  Sorry, on Windows you ship nearly every library. So it is a flatpak without deduplication and update mechanisms.

Flatpak is not a VM. It is more like a container but with interfaces(portals).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

ill have to try and replicate this issue, I use sway and havent had an issue, but I dont leave a workspace for more then say a minute at a time. I wonder if gamescope could alleviate this. currently on wine git
                    Weirdly, this has been happening to me, but just with CP2077. Whenever I go to a different workspace (Sway on Gentoo, but game run through Gamescope and Heroic Launcher), if I take more than, say 5 seconds to come back, the game process crashes and I get the "REDEngine.dll blabla has encountered a problem". Other games don't exhibit this behavior and all keep playing audio when I'm on a different WS.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                      So if you're someone like me who has Home on a second drive, then you could reinstall your OS and all of your Flatpaks apps and settings will be installed and available immediately. That's a very attractive feature and is only possible because some of the same libraries installed on your system are duplicated in the home directory.
                      You can add a custom installtion directory:
                      This page explains a few useful features of the Flatpak CLI. Testing an app with a different runtime: You can (for testing) run an application with a different runtime than it typically uses. For i...

Actually I think it still can use runtimes in system. So there is no duplication.

Comment

Working...
                      X