Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 9.0 Released With Initial Wayland Driver, WoW64 Taking Shape & Better Direct3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 9.0 Released With Initial Wayland Driver, WoW64 Taking Shape & Better Direct3D

Phoronix: Wine 9.0 Released With Initial Wayland Driver, WoW64 Taking Shape & Better Direct3D

Wine 9.0 has debuted today for this annual stable release of Wine to allow Windows applications and games to run on Windows, Chrome OS, macOS, and other platforms. With Wine 9.0 it's the culmination of all the bi-weekly wine 8.x(x) development releases over the past year to greatly enhance the Windows app support on Linux and other targets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ... to allow Windows applications and games to run on Windows...
    Some would say that may actually be helpful sometimes!

Michael: I suppose you meant Linux?
    Last edited by JanW; 17 January 2024, 04:07 AM. Reason: Edited following @timofonic's remark below

Comment

ive been using wined3d with the vulkan backend quite a bit lately, pretty useful for some of the more unique games that struggles with dxvk stuttering on my polaris

Comment

I've been using the Wayland driver since last year and it works really well!

I've only come across these 2 issues so far:
        Last edited by Kjell; 28 January 2024, 02:18 PM.

Comment

They should've skipped the 9.x version, for the true windows experience..

Comment

Originally posted by JanW View Post

Some would say that may actually be helpful sometimes!
            Isn't a @Michael's errata?

Comment

I find it weird that Wine needs to have WoW64 support, but since most Desktop Linux distros are removing the 32-bit libraries, it's necessary.

Who knows what will happen to Wine's ability to run win16 apps (some 32-bit Windows 9x games have win16 installers), but at least 32-bit apps will work.
              Last edited by kurkosdr; 16 January 2024, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                I've been using the Wayland driver since last year and it works really well!

I've only come across these 2 issues so far:
                ill have to try and replicate this issue, I use sway and havent had an issue, but I dont leave a workspace for more then say a minute at a time. I wonder if gamescope could alleviate this. currently on wine git

Comment

I think (?) Wine's WoW64 should still support Win16 since the Linux kernel (unlike the Windows NT kernel) provides support for 16-bit code segments on 64-bit machines. But I could be wrong, they may decide not to take advantage of that anymore…

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
                    I think (?) Wine's WoW64 should still support Win16 since the Linux kernel (unlike the Windows NT kernel) provides support for 16-bit code segments on 64-bit machines. But I could be wrong, they may decide not to take advantage of that anymore…
                    it doesn't :[

image.png

Comment

Working...
                    X