Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 9.0 Released With Initial Wayland Driver, WoW64 Taking Shape & Better Direct3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
    If I had a wish, I wish I could run Quickbooks Pro for Desktop via Wine because that would be my last obstacle for getting off Windows for my business. I realize that Quickbooks is a low priority item for them so I don't bother them with continuous requests, but if someone at CodeWeaver is reading this, I would be more than happy to start paying again for a subscription.
    What issue(s) do you get trying to run it? It seems nowadays that most desktop software works either out-of-the-box or with a few Winetricks verbs.

Comment

So they got very far with their Wayland support.
      They can now focus on the small issues and perhaps it can be enabled by default for 9.1.

Comment

Another exciting release of something that Linux doesn't have, and that's stable userspace API/ABI (sans RHEL but barely anyone uses it on desktop).

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Another exciting release of something that Linux doesn't have, and that's stable userspace API/ABI (sans RHEL but barely anyone uses it on desktop).
          You have flatpak, so you have not only ABI but behavior stability too which is much more important.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Isn't a @Michael's errata?
            I think it is. And you are right, I should have made that more obvious. Message edited

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
              Use Steam Snap or Flatpak. Than you don't need any 32-bit libs on your main system.
              That is even worse, since I would be using 32-bit libraries not optimized for my system. I'm talking about removing 32-bit support in the kernel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

You have flatpak, so you have not only ABI but behavior stability too which is much more important.
                Both flatpak and snap are terrible crap which don't belong to Linux.

They were created precisely because API/ABI compatibility in Linux is a freaking joke.

Comment

Both flatpak and snap are terrible crap which don't belong to Linux.
                  Can you explain what system provides a better solution which is stable but still evolving. Please don't tell me something about ABI because that is not providing behavior stability.

They were created precisely because API/ABI compatibility in Linux is a freaking joke.
                  Are you a programmer? There are very few ABIs which are evolving without breaking the behavior. So ABIs are not that useful except for the lowest level.

Comment

Back in 2017 or 18, Wine supported Office 2016, though with many tweaks needed, and even then it was buggy and crashed sometimes.

I wonder if there's been any progress since then?

[spoiler]The answer is NO[/spoiler]

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

Can you explain what system provides a better solution which is stable but still evolving. Please don't tell me something about ABI because that is not providing behavior stability.

Are you a programmer? There are very few ABIs which are evolving without breaking the behavior. So ABIs are not that useful except for the lowest level.
                      Not useful? Close to 2 billion Windows users disagree with you.

How being a programmer or not is relevant to this discussion? Microsoft has implemented WinSxS which works beautifully, Linux woeful programmers have implemented basically a full-featured VM just to retain compatibility. I'm not interested in running Linux only VMs. I already have VirtualBox for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X