Using Miriway For Empowering Xfce / MATE / LXQt & Other Desktops With Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

a wayland compositor can totally use xorg.
    No it doesn't. It can run Xorg applications. It doesn't itself use Xorg.

Comment

If I am not wrong this is used by Ubuntu Touch

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

No it doesn't. It can run Xorg applications. It doesn't itself use Xorg.
        I think he means Wayland can be implemented on top of XOrg in a way similar to how XWayland implements Xorg on top of Wayland. But practically, Wayland on top of Xorg makes no sense and has no uses, and is not the case in Mir nor in any other Wayland compositor I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I think he means Wayland can be implemented on top of XOrg in a way similar to how XWayland implements Xorg on top of Wayland. But practically, Wayland on top of Xorg makes no sense and has no uses, and is not the case in Mir nor in any other Wayland compositor I know of.
          I wouldnt say it has no use cases. we are seeing a push to wayland, and this has caused us to start seeing applications that don't work on x11 anymore. and wayland is still unusable for a lot of people

Comment

This looks pretty neat. I'll have to play around with this and Xfce.

Comment

Yeah. Which is why no matter how you read it, what he said makes no sense at all. There is no such thing as Xorg Wayland compositor nor will there ever be.

Comment

in the same way xorg started using libinput. Actually instead of wayland EEE'ing xorg, we should EEE wayland into xorg as a default compositor.
                Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 01 December 2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't be easier and faster for LXQT to just use Kwin?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

in the same way xorg started using libinput. Actually instead of wayland EEE'ing xorg, we should EEE wayland into xorg as a default compositor.
                    And what would that accomplish? That would combine both X.Org and Wayland flaws. Also you have no idea what "EEE" means and you are using it wrong.

Comment

Weston has possibility to run on top of Xorg, see back-ends here in article: https://wayland.pages.freedesktop.or...ng-weston.html

Comment

Working...
                      X