Using Miriway For Empowering Xfce / MATE / LXQt & Other Desktops With Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

How, exactly? Ubuntu Touch has two “flavors” (to put it in layman's terms): one that uses the old Mir (most devices) and one that uses pure Wayland (only a handful of devices). The goal is to eventually use pure Wayland on all devices, though, although there has been talk of using the new Mir for that (so not Miriway).

(Source: it's my daily driver and I'm also a contributor.)
    I am curious about your experience as a contributor. What are your contributions and are you getting paid to do it? Did you have to sign any agreements to contribute?

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

I am curious about your experience as a contributor. What are your contributions and are you getting paid to do it? Did you have to sign any agreements to contribute?
      I mainly contribute translations, test reports, etc., but I've also contributed some code. I don't get paid, no one does. It's all volunteer work. And there are no agreements to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

a wayland compositor can totally use xorg.
        In fact, that's a quick and easy way to test a wayland compositor while working from inside an existing x11 session. Wayland compositors can use x11 as a backend same as any other supported backend. With rootful xwayland we also have the ability of x11 to use wayland as a backend for an entire session. Whichever way this one jumps, we don't need to lose ANYTHING

Comment

Wayland sessions have a different architecture than x11 sessions, because essentially the compositor IS the session. Compositor is the window manager, sets the toolkit themes and fonts, and (unfortunately if it crashes) the session exits with the compositor., The last will hopefully soon be a thing of the past due to KDE's work to keep sockets alive and allow a crashed compositor to restart, reconnect, and resume where it left off.

Thus in the new and experimental mate-wayland session (using wayfire) available from the MATE github repos, on first startup we add a line to the autostart section of wayfire.ini calling a script that starts the MATE components from inside the session. Once it's there, we do not touch that file again unless that line is removed (say to run a bare wayfire instance from a VT).

This is a bit of a hassle but I have not found any way to start GUI programs from outside the session and connect them to it. By using sed to edit the user's existing wayfire.ini we avoid tossing out any prior work the user has done to configure wayfire to their liking, and maintain the ability to use WCM (wayfire configuration manager) to change wayfire options going forward. Earlier experiments with a MATE-specific wayfire-ini file in /etc forced any changes to wayfire to be done by editing that file as root, and WCM cannot do that. We cannot put user-writable files in /etc for obvious reasons, though if there is demand for the option of separate MATE and default wayfire configurations we could copy that file say, from ~/.config/wayfire.ini to ~/.config/mate/wayfire.ini , start wayfire with that path to the .ini file, and WCM would then pick it up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            Wayland sessions have a different architecture than x11 sessions, because essentially the compositor IS the session.
            This is why x11 approach is superior despite its ancient protocol. Wayland should be reduced to a x11 compositor. Maybe x23 to make them compatible. X11 started using libinput dont see why wayland cant be used that way.

Comment

Working...
            X