Clear All

It's a trap

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      It's a trap
      Your nickname has three traps!

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Yeah. Which is why no matter how you read it, what he said makes no sense at all. There is no such thing as Xorg Wayland compositor nor will there ever be.
        Actually, Weston has a Xorg backend. But it is used for development only.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I wouldnt say it has no use cases. we are seeing a push to wayland, and this has caused us to start seeing applications that don't work on x11 anymore. and wayland is still unusable for a lot of people
          That makes sense, but I guess only if it's implemented in a way similar to XWayland, i.e. seamlessly run Wayland apps on an existing Xorg compositor with little or no modifications. If the compositor needs to make significant changes to support the scenario then that defeats the purpose as it would be better to direct the efforts at actually converting the compositor into a Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

That makes sense, but I guess only if it's implemented in a way similar to XWayland, i.e. seamlessly run Wayland apps on an existing Xorg compositor with little or no modifications. If the compositor needs to make significant changes to support the scenario then that defeats the purpose as it would be better to direct the efforts at actually converting the compositor into a Wayland compositor.
            indeed, I actually find in most cases though, just using cage is good enough

Comment

As far as I understand, Wayland was created by the Xorg engineers themselves, as something that reduces the legacy maintenance burden that Xorg had become.

It wouldn't make any sense to have to maintain both now.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                can someone TLDR what this actually does?
                I could be mistaken about this, but from what I see everyone here seems to be wrong. This isn't letting you run XFCE or other old desktops on top of wayland, I don't think.

All it's doing is running a basic wayland shell and "faking" old desktops a bit by starting up some of their apps on top of wayland. For example, the XFCE support starts up the XFCE terminal, menu, and sets up a xfce background image via a simple bash script. But it's still just a basic wayland environment running Mir to do the window management.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 02 December 2023, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Not enough compositors.

Not enough fragmentation.

Wayland is going strong.

If you're a gnome/kde user.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Weston has possibility to run on top of Xorg, see back-ends here in article: https://wayland.pages.freedesktop.or...ng-weston.html
                    So can KWin and wlroots. They can also run on top of another Wayland session. I don't know about mutter and mir, probably they can too.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                      If I am not wrong this is used by Ubuntu Touch
                      How, exactly? Ubuntu Touch has two “flavors” (to put it in layman's terms): one that uses the old Mir (most devices) and one that uses pure Wayland (only a handful of devices). The goal is to eventually use pure Wayland on all devices, though, although there has been talk of using the new Mir for that (so not Miriway).

(Source: it's my daily driver and I'm also a contributor.)

Comment

Working...
                      X