No announcement yet.

KDE Is Down To Just One Wayland Showstopper Bug Remaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They still haven't fixed the issue where custom keys don't work. In X.Org it works as configured. Use Insert to play, Home for previous track, Page Up for next track and End to stop. These keys work on Wayland and X.Org. The ones that do not work in Wayland are others such as the subtraction operator to decrease the volume, addition operator to increase the volume and Enter to silence the volume.
    Last edited by Franco Castillo; 25 November 2023, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
      How come this is not considered as showstopper I wonder...
      What I wonder is how anybody could consider that a showstopper. It might be annoying for sure and it prevents certain workflows but a *showstopper*? It makes me think of this: https://xkcd.com/1172/

For the record, I am forced to use Mac OSX at work and the "always above others" doesn't exist and I can still work without major issues (and that missing feature is *really* annoying). I only say this because this is clearly not a *showstopper*

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        I tried the latest Fedora KDE spin, 39, that uses Wayland by default, and it was a buggy mess, i have no idea how anyone could use it for more than a few days.
        No idea what Fedora does or what hardware you have but it works very well on Arch + AMD. If you really want to know how anyone could use it I have been using it for over 1.5 years and haven't noticed any issues since switching from X11. And before someone asks, yes, screen sharing has been working fine for quite a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          I don't how accurate their math is.

I tried the latest Fedora KDE spin, 39, that uses Wayland by default, and it was a buggy mess, i have no idea how anyone could use it for more than a few days.

Kubuntu that uses X11 and Gecko Linux, KDE spin that also uses X11 are much better, with no graphical glitches and I must say, though i have ragged on Plasma in the past, it is starting to grow on me, like a nice fungus, that if left untreated lands you in the emergency room.
          May I ask what buggy mess that is? what were the issues? We would like to know what those problems are so we can fix them

By the way: you do know that Plasma X11 is still supported in F39 right?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            Yeah, just one, as lots of others have been moved to non-showstoppers.
            Exactly.

Nobody gives a shit what those monkeys consider "show-stopping" or not. How can they unironically put sticky keys as a showstopper but not "restore session" for example? LOL. Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post
              What I wonder is how anybody could consider that a showstopper. It might be annoying for sure and it prevents certain workflows but a *showstopper*? It makes me think of this: https://xkcd.com/1172/

For the record, I am forced to use Mac OSX at work and the "always above others" doesn't exist and I can still work without major issues (and that missing feature is *really* annoying). I only say this because this is clearly not a *showstopper*
              But nobody cares about your casual opinion. It's a show stopper for me among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                And again people, who most like have not written a single line of code in their entire life and have been using Linux for a couple of years, are calling for dropping compatibility. This is just ugly.
                There is quite a lot of projecting onto others in this comment, sir. The lack of self awareness here is quite astounding.

Where is your active x.org code repository? Speaking of not writing a single line of code...................................... What do your commits look like?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

There is quite a lot of projecting onto others in this comment, sir. The lack of self awareness here is quite astounding.

Where is your active x.org code repository? Speaking of not writing a single line of code...................................... What do your commits look like?
                  Looks like he doesn't know what he's talking about to me, no matter how long he's been "using" Linux. He can't tell what the difference between a full desktop framework and stack is and what a simple window manager is. For one thing, you can write an entire application based on QT/Plasma. You can't do that at all with IceWM. It's literally just a window management framework.

Comment

As long as Steam "In-home Streaming + Wayland" https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/6148 won't be properly addressed it's a major showstopper for me.

Also TeamViewer has only preliminary Wayland support and last time I tried it it was a nogo as well so no more remote work possible but who needs to work on Linux anyways right?

There's also software like Veyon for digital learning environments like schools wich will stop working as major workarounds for Wayland yet have to be implemented and/or the spec or portals don't include such a usecase at all yet: https://github.com/veyon/veyon/issues/860 which leads to https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-deskt...tal/issues/471 which is marked as "needs design/discussion" since 2020.

Imho this is still a long way to go and as soon as your requirements exceed just sitting infront of your screen working locally there's still much left to invent, programm and implement all over.
                    Last edited by tgurr; 25 November 2023, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      But nobody cares about your casual opinion. It's a show stopper for me among other things.
                      As opposed to you being the owner of the absolute truth and whatever you define as a showstopper then everybody else (including KDE developers) must consider that as such, right? I am not a developer myself but I contribute to Fedora KDE and we work closely with upstream and we have meetings from time to time. I assure you we all want to please as many people as we can but that is certainly difficult.

I understand that it might be frustrating for you specifically because you are used to that specific feature. It's unfortunate but there's a limit to the resources that are available and not every feature and every workflow can be implemented.

Some stuff got implemented first because of a multiple of different reasons. I am sure your workflow will be fixed as well in the near future. You just need to be a bit patient :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X