GIMP 2.10.36 Released As GIMP 3.0 Might Finally Be Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post

I just know the old Paint (I proudly do not use Windows anymore for a while). But Kolourplaint seems to come very close to my memories of Paint.
    Paint.Net is a different beast, a lot more featured than Microsoft Paint.

Comment

It would be really nice if GIMP started mirroring the progression of Blender. The world needs a Photoshop alternative, and GIMP could well be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        I kinda gave up on GIMP after I was forced to use Krita and found it to be superior in virtually every way.
        GIMP is so bizarre and outdated it feels like the Internet Explorer of image editors, even when I've been using it most of my life.
        Menus and tool panel must be reorganized in a coherent manner, yes

Comment

Originally posted by zilexa View Post

I wish there was a Paint.Net alternative Linux.
          Maybe this: https://github.com/PintaProject/Pinta ?

Comment

I'm using snapshot releases for more than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post

A bug is really only a bug if it bugs someone.
              No, I am serious. As a user I was also irritated over things like closing long standing bugs when they are not fixed.
              But nowdays as a dev I fullt understand it.
              There are bugs that are fixed as part of other overhauls but since you did not know there was a report, you did not close the report.
              There are bugs hard to triage or in parts of code you for various reason do not want to tuch more then you need, and you really need to know if a bug is hitting enough users to motivate touching that code, and you have users that can validate the fix but also that nothing else broke.
              And you also need to be able to prioritize what bugs to work on. A large backlog is not helping then.

Bug reports that seems deserted fills no ffunction, and can be closed. If bug not fixed, the report could always be reopened.
              Your writing looks legit by itself, but there are also a lot of projects where when a bunch of users filed their "me too" comments in the bug report systems, they are frowned upon and being scolded "if you don't know how to code and can't contribute, stop spamming us".

Therefore, unless a bug report system provides people a clear and easy way to express "this bugs me too" and the developers explicitly show people an altitude they welcome users push that button and care how many users push that button, your point is invalid. Without a proper voting system that users can see and use and trust developers to react on constructively, you can never know if a bug hit "enough users" unless your software is extremely popular so complaints of the not-fixing bubbles everywhere over the media and social media.

And if one don't know if a bug is still there in new versions of software, one should ask openly, not close the report down silently.

Edit: Unless your project is the only choice in the market, when I see a bug I care being closed just because it is longstanding without new comment, I am not going to reopen it. I will take it that the dev team of this project shall not be trusted and seek if there are good enough competitors / alternatives.

If a bug fails to be reproduced, one can mark it WORKSFORME before closing. Not silent closing.
              Last edited by billyswong; 08 November 2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Pinta is very promising but it doesn't get a lot of updates and had weird bugs the last time I used it. The GitHub page does show a lot of recent activity, so that's good.

Comment

Krita is for creating images, drawings, right? Isn't Gimp meant for editing your photos?
                  Can you for example easily fix a photo of the horizon that was taken slightly tilted, straighten it?
                  The problem with GIMP is, it doesn't have a practical workflow for editing tons of photos, which is what often happens when you take photos with a pro camera. Another thing is, GIMP is really slow at loading & parsing images. Compared to Darktable, for example. If you use a file manager to display the thumbnails for a folder, opening a single file in GIMP (when GIMP is already active) is slower than selecting the image in Darktable. Also most file managers don't use more than one thread for rendering the thumbnails which wastes around 99% of your CPU capacity.

Comment

Krita is for creating images, drawings, right? Isn't Gimp meant for editing your photos?
                    Can you for example easily fix a photo of the horizon that was taken slightly tilted, straighten it?
                    Yes, you can. Krita has this bizarre stigma of only being for creating images and drawings, which is not untrue, but it's also very much usable as an image editor. In short: GIMP is #1 image editor, #2 drawing app, while Krita is #1 drawing app, #2 image editor. So not on the exact same level, but it does have a lot to offer and will suit to a lot of people's image editing needs.

Comment

Originally posted by botipua22 View Post

Pinta is very promising but it doesn't get a lot of updates and had weird bugs the last time I used it. The GitHub page does show a lot of recent activity, so that's good.
                      Pinta is very active, but yeah, it does always have weird bugs and crashes. It's been that way for years and every update just changes what is bugged or crashy. It needs a complete overhaul with more focus on stability.

Comment

Working...
                      X