GIMP 2.10.36 Released As GIMP 3.0 Might Finally Be Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    I kinda gave up on GIMP after I was forced to use Krita and found it to be superior in virtually every way.
    GIMP is so bizarre and outdated it feels like the Internet Explorer of image editors, even when I've been using it most of my life.
    Krita is for creating images, drawings, right? Isn't Gimp meant for editing your photos?
    Can you for example easily fix a photo of the horizon that was taken slightly tilted, straighten it?

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
      Time is near, but only if somebody help but 20 year old bugs doesn't help with trust for their assessment... Also some github project think that closing bugs after a year of inactivity is a good idea if nobody object or confess and transition for GTK3 also means a lot of shit development that are required for a another git branch , sorry gitlab where github account for sign in not possible or desired
      Oh yeah I never understand why some projects think they can close a bug just because developers ignore the report and refuse to fix it. It is so bizarre. A label of WON'T FIX would be at least honest. But they don't even dare do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Really looking forward to 3.0!

Hopefully they make a pivot soon toward improving the UI over straight up new capabilities. Making it more intuitive, that's the most killer feature of all.
        My main issue is with key shortcuts on KDE. I think that there should be sensible presets for different DE's.

Comment

Originally posted by zilexa View Post

Krita is for creating images, drawings, right? Isn't Gimp meant for editing your photos?
          Can you for example easily fix a photo of the horizon that was taken slightly tilted, straighten it?
          Trivially.
          Only thing I've noticed is GIMP has a lot more out-of-the-box plugins than Krita, but I never really used them nor have I gone out of my way yet to look for more Krita plugins. Actually, for a while I took out a lot of GIMP's default plugins so it would boot faster.

Comment

When the lead GIMP developer realizes GIMP 3 release is REALLY imminent (within the next 15 years).

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Trivially.
              Only thing I've noticed is GIMP has a lot more out-of-the-box plugins than Krita, but I never really used them nor have I gone out of my way yet to look for more Krita plugins. Actually, for a while I took out a lot of GIMP's default plugins so it would boot faster.
              But your first comment makes no sense without any context what your usecase is. GIMP is focused on editing photos. Krita is focused on creating images.
              I checked but there is no guide out there describing how to perform common photo edits like straightening the horizon with Krita.
              You are comparing apples to bananas.

I wish there was a Paint.Net alternative Linux. GIMP indeed looks outdated and just a bit overly complicated. But it's all we have to fix holiday/travel photos (JPEGs) on Linux.
              DarkTable and RawTherapee are much more heavy and complicated, also focus on raw photos.

Comment

I've veen using GIMP3 for a while now. Can't tell much of a difference other than the splash screen. Which might vor might not be a good thing, but hat least it's very usable (ymmv).

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Oh yeah I never understand why some projects think they can close a bug just because developers ignore the report and refuse to fix it. It is so bizarre. A label of WON'T FIX would be at least honest. But they don't even dare do that.
                  A bug is really only a bug if it bugs someone.
                  No, I am serious. As a user I was also irritated over things like closing long standing bugs when they are not fixed.
                  But nowdays as a dev I fullt understand it.
                  There are bugs that are fixed as part of other overhauls but since you did not know there was a report, you did not close the report.
                  There are bugs hard to triage or in parts of code you for various reason do not want to tuch more then you need, and you really need to know if a bug is hitting enough users to motivate touching that code, and you have users that can validate the fix but also that nothing else broke.
                  And you also need to be able to prioritize what bugs to work on. A large backlog is not helping then.

Bug reports that seems deserted fills no ffunction, and can be closed. If bug not fixed, the report could always be reopened.

Comment

I used to wait for GIMP 3.0 to have one program window. Fortunately, this option was added to the branch 2.x.​

Comment

Originally posted by zilexa View Post
                      I wish there was a Paint.Net alternative Linux.
                      I just know the old Paint (I proudly do not use Windows anymore for a while). But Kolourplaint seems to come very close to my memories of Paint.

Comment

Working...
                      X