GIMP 2.10.36 Released As GIMP 3.0 Might Finally Be Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post

I just know the old Paint (I proudly do not use Windows anymore for a while). But Kolourplaint seems to come very close to my memories of Paint.
    What's so new about Paint.net? It was first released in 2004. Okay, newer than MS Paint, but it's not new by any means. 2004 is more than 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      I kinda gave up on GIMP after I was forced to use Krita and found it to be superior in virtually every way.
      GIMP is so bizarre and outdated it feels like the Internet Explorer of image editors, even when I've been using it most of my life.
      I mean it's basically GNOME what do you expect? They're all the same pack of retards.

Photopea is a web browser free alternative (with ads that you can block btw). Which is infinitely more popular than GIMP, primarily because it uses Photoshop's UI almost exactly.

People like Windows UI. Only GNOME shitheads have to follow idiot trends or macs and think that's what the "majority" wants when that's like sub 10% of desktop usage.

Different UI to feel different I guess. That makes them feel "special". How dare they use popular UIs like Photoshop or Windows right?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, you can. Krita has this bizarre stigma of only being for creating images and drawings, which is not untrue, but it's also very much usable as an image editor. In short: GIMP is #1 image editor, #2 drawing app, while Krita is #1 drawing app, #2 image editor. So not on the exact same level, but it does have a lot to offer and will suit to a lot of people's image editing needs.
        I recently started using Krita – cause I bought a graphics tablet (for notes taking but decided to check what it’s like to draw using it), and I switched away from Gimp to Krita for image editing as the result… Not that I do a lot of that (and I rarely edit loads of photos), but the amount I did, I used to do in Gimp and now my 1st choice is Krita, despite that not being the main focus of the software.

Comment

For really basic stuff, I like Kolourpaint. Rotate, resize, cut, paste, changing brightness and gamma, editing print-screen images, etc. It also had a interface for scanners, very useful if you want to correct scanned documents, books and magazines. Think of old MS Paint, but with a little bit more useful tools. The most sophisticated stuff I did with it, was correcting cutaway images of airplanes that I get on the internet. Its impressive what you can accomplish using only simple tools.

Because of it, I hadn't used Gimp for basic stuff for over a decade now.
          Last edited by M@GOid; 08 November 2023, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Instead of GIMP, for the average regular user that wants to apply simple fixes to their photos, just use Digikam.
            It's a fantastic photo management tool and includes a very user friendly Photo Editor for common editing tasks. Really recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              Trivially.
              Only thing I've noticed is GIMP has a lot more out-of-the-box plugins than Krita, but I never really used them nor have I gone out of my way yet to look for more Krita plugins. Actually, for a while I took out a lot of GIMP's default plugins so it would boot faster.
              There used to be a drupal subdomain plugin website, IIRC GIMP plugin compatibility were one of the things holding back 3.0.

I wonder if the original authors are long gone making upgrading the code more difficult.

Originally posted by zilexa View Post
              Krita is for creating images, drawings, right? Isn't Gimp meant for editing your photos?
              Can you for example easily fix a photo of the horizon that was taken slightly tilted, straighten it?
              Yeah Krita has transform, rotate and other common image functions. (I still find this clunky in gimp, in PS pre 2010 all I had to do was draw a line and the Adjustment Rotate Dialog would automatically fill the value from that line. In GIMP I have to drag a ruler guide to the layer and then use the mouse to spin the layer until I get a match. Much less precise and even manually entering the value is sketchy)

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Yes, you can. Krita has this bizarre stigma of only being for creating images and drawings, which is not untrue, but it's also very much usable as an image editor. In short: GIMP is #1 image editor, #2 drawing app, while Krita is #1 drawing app, #2 image editor. So not on the exact same level, but it does have a lot to offer and will suit to a lot of people's image editing needs.
              To go along with this, I think (Order of Priorities) is a great way to explain the differences. Just because GIMP may have "image manipulation occupying priority #1 doesn't mean it isn't priority #2, #3 or #4 in Krita.

Yes Krita's "Claim to Fame" is their drawing capabilities. But this is not a perfect idealistic world where we are comparing two things that have optimized their function to perfection.

GIMP and Krita are in different states, Krita has been far ahead of GIMP for a while in development activity, funding, clarity of vision, Krita Foundation management, etc...

GIMP has in my opinion caught up some in the last 2 years, but the comparison between these 2 things is in their current "mixed state (status)", right now to the trained user, Krita can do the basic image functions just fine and perhaps more importantly more intuitively and Designed for Humans.

--

Main Topic: It's been a great few years for GIMP, I'm still very excited for them and already use their tool as often as I can. I use the HUD menu ( / ) a lot but the organization could be improved as often multiple dialogs have similar names and some don't do the job I am trying to do ( "Invert Layer" ), Layer to Boundaries I use often, Levels (there are several options that are hard to distinguish) and so on.

It's great 2.10.36 is a thing, but I still can't recommend the old GTK2 interface over GIMP 2.99 -- which I've used for maybe 4?+ years now.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3.0 brings fireworks and a picking up of the pace and more funding, they should take a page from Krita's book and make it part of a Welcome dialog if it makes a difference to the developers. That would be a substantial win for everyone done correctly.​

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                It would be really nice if GIMP started mirroring the progression of Blender. The world needs a Photoshop alternative, and GIMP could well be it.
                Probably when they start getting half what Blender gets in funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Probably when they start getting half what Blender gets in funding.
                  When you know how many THOUSANDS of BILLIONS the high tech industry generates, the funding of Blender is a total joke (an insulting one) compared to how many people use it. They should receive 10x what they get at least but the world of corpo greed is too cheapskate to just give a few dozen millions a year to opensource (except Epic Games), and many users prefer to give 0 rather than a few dollars a year.
                  They do great with not much actually.

Gimp they would fail to deliver a good practical photoshop alternative even you gave them as much a Blender. They never acknowledged people saying that the UX should be closer to photoshop and keep making a software that just a very few enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

When you know how many THOUSANDS of BILLIONS the high tech industry generates, the funding of Blender is a total joke (an insulting one) compared to how many people use it. They should receive 10x what they get at least but the world of corpo greed is too cheapskate to just give a few dozen millions a year to opensource (except Epic Games), and many users prefer to give 0 rather than a few dollars a year.
                    They do great with not much actually.
                    Sure buddy, I'm not saying Blender doesn't deserve more, I'm saying GIMP gets pocket change compared to that, so they can't match Blender's progress.
                    2 developers running Patreon campaigns for personal funding, and a Librapay campaigns with less than $250/week, often not even that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Sure buddy, I'm not saying Blender doesn't deserve more, I'm saying GIMP gets pocket change compared to that, so they can't match Blender's progress.
                      2 developers running Patreon campaigns for personal funding, and a Librapay campaigns with less than $250/week, often not even that.
                      Well, when you make a software without taking UI/UX suggestions seriously for years, nobody supports you in return. that is expected...

Comment

Working...
                      X