KWin Replaces KScreen For Handling Monitor Arrangement Under KDE Plasma Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

Presumably there is a way to get those bugs fixed, but you have to pay... Interested? then read on Sponsored Work.
    Yes, because I'm clearly a freeloader. [/s] I have donated to KDE on more than one occasion, so don't give me the you-have-to-pay card.

And I wasn't just talking about getting those bugs fixed as much as I was talking about actually getting a response to “hey, you said this bug is fixed, but it's not fixed for me” from me and countless other reporters. I'd expect them to at least give a response to let us know they have read our reports and will be looking into them at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, because I'm clearly a freeloader. [/s] I have donated to KDE on more than one occasion, so don't give me the you-have-to-pay card.

And I wasn't just talking about getting those bugs fixed as much as I was talking about actually getting a response to “hey, you said this bug is fixed, but it's not fixed for me” from me and countless other reporters. I'd expect them to at least give a response to let us know they have read our reports and will be looking into them at some point.
      Often the problem is that the original bug actually was fixed and you're experiencing another bug with similar effects. The right thing to do in most cases would be to open new bug and maybe reference the old discussion in there. The reason is, that the developers will probably need more information.

I know it's frustrating not getting a response, but they might not be responding because they don't have any actionable information or evidence of the new variant of a bug.
      Tacking it onto the old bug blurs the lines between what is and what isn't exactly the same between the two and just makes things even harder.
      Last edited by fallingcats; 09 October 2023, 03:06 AM.

Comment

He is a well-known troll, yes, but in this particular case he ain't fully wrong. I love KDE and it's my daily driver, but there are some bugs present that were reportedly fixed, in both KDE and official KDE apps. And when you go to the bug tracker and report it's still there, you can receive exactly zero answers (well, except for other people confirming the bug is still present).

But I don't agree with his conspiracy theory.
        Probably most bugs you are referring to are fixed in Plasma 6 but you use 5th version, hence your confusion? According to Nate's weekly reports, the amount of bug fixes waiting for us in Plasma 6 is already enormous.

Comment

He is a well-known troll, yes, but in this particular case he ain't fully wrong. I love KDE and it's my daily driver, but there are some bugs present that were reportedly fixed, in both KDE and official KDE apps. And when you go to the bug tracker and report it's still there, you can receive exactly zero answers (well, except for other people confirming the bug is still present).
          My impression is that the main method to fix bugs at KDE is to leave them rot until some random commit happens to fix the underlying cause. If they fix them unknowingly, it's not a stretch to imagine they will break them (again) the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

Probably most bugs you are referring to are fixed in Plasma 6 but you use 5th version, hence your confusion? According to Nate's weekly reports, the amount of bug fixes waiting for us in Plasma 6 is already enormous.
            Please look at the report dates of the bugs. Many of them are recent. That means they're fixing mainly their own regressions introduced with KF6, and not the long standing bugs. I expect more regressions to come after this "KWin Replaces KScreen".

Out of 91 bugs fixed 26 were reported before 2023-01-07 (Plasma 6 branch out date). That means less than 30% of long standing bugs fixed.

You also have to look at the quality of the bugs, e.g. the oldest bug was about non-working KCM, and it was fixed by removing KCM altogether (not sure if the bug reporter expected that) or the newest bug is about adding "three" lines of license to the source code (the user will never see any benefit of it).

Summarizing, the experience of buggy Plasma won't change that much.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

According to Nate's weekly reports, the amount of bug fixes waiting for us in Plasma 6 is already enormous.
              For example, in https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers we can see a "Fixed upstream in Qt 6" section with thirteen paragraphs.
              Last edited by Nth_man; 09 October 2023, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I'm quite excited to test out Plasma 6, it looks SO GOOD!

Things like threaded rendering finally being possible without random crashing is sure to make it even smoother then plasma5.

Not to mention all the polishing of options and the visuals, it is approaching gnome in consistency while still offering all the customizability Plasma is known for.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                  I stopped using 3 screens a long while back when KDE's functionality broke there.
                  What functionality broke with 3-screen setups? I've been using that with KDE 5.x on Ubuntu since ... 18.04? Maybe 20.04? At one point, I even had the two side monitors turned 90 degrees to have more vertical space (1080x1920), but moving the cursor between the screens was a pain, and I found I didn't actually use the extra vertical space. Now it's just 3x 1080p monitors, all nice and horizontal, with the desktop spread across them. This is using a single AMD Radeon Pro WX 4100 GPU.

Are you using X11 or Wayland sessions?
                  Last edited by phoenix_rizzen; 10 October 2023, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X