KDE Plasma 6.0 Ends September With Many New Features & Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Ends September With Many New Features & Enhancements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Ends September With Many New Features & Enhancements

Plasma 6 development is ending September on a high note with a number of new features and enhancements to this desktop now merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure what to say about the floating panel being the default.
    I never saw a problem with current panel and as long as it looked and worked like the one in Windows XP and 7, I was happy with it!

Comment

Danny3 I'm not a fan of floating panels because they inherently waste space. I can see their appeal because they can have nice aesthetics, especially on a blank, open desktop, but they always have this issue where you can always see a tiny bit of the background with maximized programs and that 3 pixel line really triggers me. I wish that was a joke, but it isn't. Where some see a clear, clean open desktop, I see an inconsistent maximized workspace.

It's also KDE which means they'll have all sorts of options so I'll be able to tweak it all to suit my needs so it's not like I'm upset about anything. I get that they gotta do what they gotta do to rope in morons who will write off something from a single glance if it isn't aesthetically pleasing or doesn't look similar enough to everything else so they don't have to think or learn.

Because "the" makes it sound like a proper noun, this is where my brain took it:

Plasma 6 Wayland has a new system tray monitor to show when someone is using the web camera.
      The Web Camera is hooked up to The Internet

EDIT: I should have clicked the links and watched that video before commenting
      It fixes everything that irks me about floating panels
      Very nice
      Last edited by skeevy420; 30 September 2023, 07:18 AM.

Comment

> Plasma 6 Wayland has a new system tray monitor to show when someone is using the web camera.

Privacy matters.
        Thanks KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Danny3 I'm not a fan of floating panels because they inherently waste space. I can see their appeal because they can have nice aesthetics, especially on a blank, open desktop, but they always have this issue where you can always see a tiny bit of the background with maximized programs and that 3 pixel line really triggers me. I wish that was a joke, but it isn't. Where some see a clear, clean open desktop, I see an inconsistent maximized workspace.

It's also KDE which means they'll have all sorts of options so I'll be able to tweak it all to suit my needs so it's not like I'm upset about anything. I get that they gotta do what they gotta do to rope in morons who will write off something from a single glance if it isn't aesthetically pleasing or doesn't look similar enough to everything else so they don't have to think or learn.
          My sentiments exactly.

I don't like it, but it's KDE so at least I won't have to rip out Plasma and replace it like I did when, during the "KDE 4 is unusably regressed" period, I ripped out the Lubuntu update notifier and replaced it with a self-written replacement because they'd removed the option to stop nagging to reboot after a kernel update.

Comment

How is fractional scaling handled in 6.0 with regards to older methods involving up- and (subsequent) downscaling?

Comment

Interesting that they keep improving the GTK2 look/rendering/whatever, even though GTK2 is supposed to be long dead…
              Last edited by Vistaus; 30 September 2023, 12:06 PM.

Comment

To Michael:
                "- Metal + Alt + L is a new global shortcut ..." -> "- Meta + Alt + L is a new global shortcut ..."

It is painful to use any other DE for me now. KDE keeps getting better, and better.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I hate wasted space and annoying gaps too, but on my 24" monitor 2560x1440, I hardly ever see the panel whilst doing other things and the floating does look nice whenever I do look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

My sentiments exactly.

I don't like it, but it's KDE so at least I won't have to rip out Plasma and replace it like I did when, during the "KDE 4 is unusably regressed" period, I ripped out the Lubuntu update notifier and replaced it with a self-written replacement because they'd removed the option to stop nagging to reboot after a kernel update.
                    Even if they didn't allow to change it, you wouldn't have to rip it out of Plasma anyway as there is LiquidShell as a Plasma-based alternative.

Comment

Working...
                    X