KDE Plasma 6.0 Ends September With Many New Features & Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adihash
    the so called "floating panel issue" does not exist. Something you can change with one click is not an issue
    *nod* It's as much of a problem as single-click-to-activate was in previous KDE versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Interesting that they keep improving the GTK2 look/rendering/whatever, even though GTK2 is supposed to be long dead…
      Just because Sun Microsystems promoted the crap out of Java and managed to supplant C and C++ for desktop application development not taken by C# doesn't mean it was a C/C++ killer. A gigantic swath of niches still existed which GC-based memory management was incompatible with.

Many people know what they want, and GNOME's spin-doctoring can't alter that.

(I see GNOME as more like D. It tried to be a C and C++ killer with its optional garbage collection, but so much of the ecosystem depended non-optionally on the GC that it became a failed competitor to Java and C#... which, for that matter, is half the reason the idea of a garbage-collected flavour of Rust is dead on arrival every time someone proposes it.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 30 September 2023, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Not sure what to say about the floating panel being the default.
        I never saw a problem with current panel and as long as it looked and worked like the one in Windows XP and 7, I was happy with it!
        Floating panels are just an example of form over function. On a proper panel, the "start" button is in the very corner of your monitor. You can hit it without looking (or with your eyes closed, if you wanted). On a floating panel, it's... well, not there. So it takes extra effort, dedicated attention to activate it.
        Now, for Plasma, that may not be an issue. I for one, hit the "start" menu very rarely, since I can launch everything via KRunner. Plus, it's KDE, you can just set it the way you want.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Floating panels are just an example of form over function. On a proper panel, the "start" button is in the very corner of your monitor. You can hit it without looking (or with your eyes closed, if you wanted). On a floating panel, it's... well, not there. So it takes extra effort, dedicated attention to activate it.
          Now, for Plasma, that may not be an issue. I for one, hit the "start" menu very rarely, since I can launch everything via KRunner. Plus, it's KDE, you can just set it the way you want.
          So why you mentioned it at all?
          Also you are talking BS because even on a floating panel the start button is there. Just go all the way bottom left and click, it will open!

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
            So why you mentioned it at all?
            Also you are talking BS because even on a floating panel the start button is there. Just go all the way bottom left and click, it will open!
            Except it isn't in the corner of the screen when the panel is floating. You can't just move your mouse to the lower left a bunch and expect it to work if it isn't in the corner of the screen.

Comment

What do you mean it's not there? My panel on KDE is floating, but the start menu is still in the left hand corner. In fact, I can even move my cursor beyond the icon (i.e. out of screen) and click and it still opens the menu. So you can make panels float *and* keep everything where it is.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 01 October 2023, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

Except it isn't in the corner of the screen when the panel is floating. You can't just move your mouse to the lower left a bunch and expect it to work if it isn't in the corner of the screen.
                Wrong: my panel is floating and it's still there in the lower left where it always was. In fact, I can even move my cursor beyond the icon (i.e. out of screen) and click and it still opens the menu.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 01 October 2023, 11:41 AM.

Comment

>> you can't move your mouse...
                  >> it takes an extra effort...
                  Phoronix experts at their best lol. They haven't tried but want to share their opinion anyway haha.​
                  And btw: who on earth clicks "start menu" with a mouse when there's Meta key right at your fingertips? This is the easiest way to open Kickoff. I wish all standard hotkeys would be as simple as that. For instance, Alt +F4 still considered the default way to close apps / windows while something like Alt + Esc could be far more convenient and productive especially when using laptops with various "media" functions assigned to Fn keys...
                  Last edited by openminded; 01 October 2023, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
                    >> you can't move your mouse...
                    >> it takes an extra effort...
                    Phoronix experts at their best lol. They haven't tried but want to share their opinion anyway haha.​
                    And btw: who on earth clicks "start menu" with a mouse when there's Meta key right at your fingertips? This is the easiest way to open Kickoff. I wish all standard hotkeys would be as simple as that. For instance, Alt +F4 still considered the default way to close apps / windows while something like Alt + Esc could be far more convenient and productive especially when using laptops with various "media" functions assigned to Fn keys...
                    Look at the image used to illustrate this article (the one on the main page, for some reason the actual article uses a different one). That's what I was talking about: when you go with that approach, you can't "automate" hitting the start menu anymore.

Comment

Look at the image used to illustrate this article (the one on the main page, for some reason the actual article uses a different one). That's what I was talking about: when you go with that approach, you can't "automate" hitting the start menu anymore.
                      It sounds like they're saying the bottom-left pixel on the screen is still considered an active region which triggers the menu when clicked.

Comment

Working...
                      X