Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 39 Planning To Drop Custom Qt Theming

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 39 Planning To Drop Custom Qt Theming

Fedora Workstation has long maintained the QGnomePlatform and Adwaita-qt projects for applying a GNOME/GTK-like interface and styling to Qt applications in order to enhance the experience. However, to reduce the maintenance burden and the ongoing technical debt, Fedora Workstation 39 is planning to eliminate the custom Qt theming and just rely on Qt upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Just rely on upstream"? The default Qt theme is kinda ugly and doesn't look consistent with GTK apps...

Comment

Typo: "QGtkTheme improvements from Qt5 to Qt5." - I guess you mean "from Qt6 to Qt5", Michael?

Comment

to reduce the maintenance burden
        A lot of stuff sure did get burdensome after the sale to IBM. Oddly enough.

Comment

Why not just use breeze/breeze-dark, as that's the actual default for KDE, the premier user of QT? QT environments have no problem integrating theming for both QT and GTK, where the Fusion theme provides decent (not perfect, but acceptable) consistency between the two toolkits. Adwaita is not enforced and blame laid upon GTK when the situation is reversed, so why make things difficult?

Comment

I used to care about my apps looking uniformly, then I grew up and realized it doesn't really matter and my energy was better spent elsewhere

Comment

Does that mean that Qt apps in Gnome will look different than GTK apps?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                "Just rely on upstream"? The default Qt theme is kinda ugly and doesn't look consistent with GTK apps...
                They don't look consistent anyway and with the Qt theme are broken half the time.

Comment

Michael

Unclear wording...missing word?

"Instead the plan is to more closely upstream Qt defaults." maybe "Instead the plan is to more closely follow upstream Qt defaults."

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                    Why not just use breeze/breeze-dark, as that's the actual default for KDE, the premier user of QT?
                    Breeze is not just a simple theme - it uses lots of KDE (not Qt) specific frameworks below. That's the reason why even Plasma users don't have Breeze theme for Qt6 apps today. Adwaita-qt is also not a simple CSS theming - it has lots of C++ code there.

So basically Fedora team had to choose between:
                    1) continue supporting adwaita-qt
                    2) switch to breeze with unknown amount of work needed
                    3) just drop Qt theming support completely

It looks like Qt6 apps will be ugly under any DE until Plasma 6 will be launched.

Comment

Working...
                    X