Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver 23 Enables EA App On Linux, Many Fixes

Phoronix: CrossOver 23 Enables EA App On Linux, Many Fixes

While many Linux gamers are all-set these days by making use of Steam and leveraging Valve's Steam Play for enjoying Windows games on Linux, for those running macOS or also wishing to enjoy more office/application-oriented Windows software on Linux support, CodeWeavers is out today with CrossOver 23 as the newest release of their commercial Wine-based software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This release also includes an update to Wine Mono 7.4.0, vkd3d 1.8, DXVK 1.10.3 and MoltenVK 1.2.3.
    I'm wondering why they make use of DXVK but not vkd3d-proton?!

Comment

Last time I checked (I think it was with the previous version of CrossOver), the Office 365 experience was pretty horrible on X11. Everything was so slow as to be almost unusable, and there were many rendering issues with equations and images. I find this fairly expected, given the enormous bloating of Office 2013 onwards. I stuck with 2010, as I have for the past years, which works great with Wine / CrossOver.

Has anyone's experience been different / better?

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
        Last time I checked (I think it was with the previous version of CrossOver), the Office 365 experience was pretty horrible on X11. Everything was so slow as to be almost unusable, and there were many rendering issues with equations and images. I find this fairly expected, given the enormous bloating of Office 2013 onwards. I stuck with 2010, as I have for the past years, which works great with Wine / CrossOver.

Has anyone's experience been different / better?
        Why would you upgrade from Office 2010? IMO the last sane version of the suite.
        Last edited by avis; 16 August 2023, 06:55 PM.

Comment

IMHO Michael's article is not perfectly clear about Crossover support of DirectX 12 in Linux.

The following article is more clear about what Crossover for Linux does support:

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
            IMHO Michael's article is not perfectly clear about Crossover support of DirectX 12 in Linux.

The following article is more clear about what Crossover for Linux does support:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...latest-update/
            Neither of them are clear that it _doesnt_ support dx12 on linux though because the annoucment isnt clear on that. Being built off wine one would assume that the dx12 code would have been the same between both systems, indeed the mention of MoltenVK suggests that its just vulkan code so would work

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Fully agree with you - "sane" is the perfect word to describe it. Just thought I'd give it a shot - been using Office 2010 for so many years I've almost grown sick of seeing the same interface (although it does the job I want perfectly).

Also, they've added some functions in Excel 2013 onwards that are convenient.

Comment

What a useless piece of application is EA App. Those guys don't have an api so Heroic Launcher does not work with it. In such a cases I use my dual boot to use it in Windows, to be able to play C&C Generals Zero Hour, but it turned out to be that many people including i can't see the games that you have purchased and in case of Zero Hour I get a error trying to install it.

Steam takes these things serious, but Ea with their software really are giving people the message of dont buy our games if you are a Linux, Mac or Windows user. And then companies start complaining that people are pirating their games.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

If you're just editing office files for your own use, then using anything but freely licensed tools is moronic, so Office 10 has zero value.

If you are cooperatively editing office files with a team of people then everyone needs to be on the same Office version or Office will butcher the files. And these days that usually means you need access to a system with Office 365 on it. So once again, Office 10 is useless.

If you are co-editing office files with one other person and each of you are moronically in love with Office 10 for some unknowable reason as opposed to using something sane like LaTeX or Libreoffice, then sure, Office 10 makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

If you're just editing office files for your own use, then using anything but freely licensed tools is moronic, so Office 10 has zero value.

If you are cooperatively editing office files with a team of people then everyone needs to be on the same Office version or Office will butcher the files. And these days that usually means you need access to a system with Office 365 on it. So once again, Office 10 is useless.

If you are co-editing office files with one other person and each of you are moronically in love with Office 10 for some unknowable reason as opposed to using something sane like LaTeX or Libreoffice, then sure, Office 10 makes perfect sense.
                    Has Calc become more stable & functional with extra large files since I've last looked?

Comment

Working...
                    X