GNOME Shell & Mutter 45 Betas Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gfunk View Post

Good point, they are probably still arguing over how to do scaling instead of letting the user choose via settings
    Installed the beta version, indeed no fractional scaling

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the new Cosmic DE will still use Mutter, so changes to Mutter will still be applicable to you most likely.
      They have an in-house developed compositor called cosmic-comp and no dependencies to Mutter are listed. Even if, I have no problems with Mutter, but the whole Gnome project is just a desktop wishing to run on touch devices, but no one but literally 5 people around the globe uses it on them. The problem is that the desktop is, as I said, a ressource hog without features and some preinstalled apps with no special features at all. No one needs another Sudoku app or a Map app which is Google Maps ordered at Wish. The main users of the Linux Desktop are power users and no kiddos, and even the kiddos donĀ“t play Sudoku.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post

How does the GNOME schedule tell me what version ships with Ubuntu 23.10? LOL Everything I have read states GNOME 45 will be included. The last two Ubuntu releases had the latest GNOME version. It does get dicey when it's LTS time.
        As I recall, at GUADEC this year the Ubuntu speaker said Canonical aims to bundle the latest GNOME release with their Ubuntu releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Julien Bear View Post
          They have an in-house developed compositor called cosmic-comp and no dependencies to Mutter are listed.
          Interesting. I genuinely hope it works excellently on release, but given how many years (decades?) it took to get Mutter and Kwin working solidly, I'm... a bit skeptical it will be working well enough for a 24.04 release.

Even if, I have no problems with Mutter, but the whole Gnome project is just a desktop wishing to run on touch devices, but no one but literally 5 people around the globe uses it on them.
          As someone who has ran Gnome on a 2-in-1, trust me, Gnome is not made for touchscreens. I'm honestly not sure where this (surprisingly common) misconception comes from, but the current touchscreen experience on Gnome quite frankly sucks. There's work to improve the touchscreen experience with the experimental project to port Gnome Shell to run on phones (which is an exciting project, but that's a different discussion for a different time), but very, very little of that code has landed upstream yet (and the code that has landed is just backend architecture stuff).

The problem is that the desktop is, as I said, a ressource hog without features and some preinstalled apps with no special features at all. No one needs another Sudoku app or a Map app which is Google Maps ordered at Wish. The main users of the Linux Desktop are power users and no kiddos, and even the kiddos donĀ“t play Sudoku.
          Gnome provides a list of recommended pre-install applications (https://apps.gnome.org/), but the actual pre-install list is ultimately decided by your distro of choice. Of note, Sudoku is not included in the official list. Also, pre-installed apps don't hog running resources (CPU/RAM/GPU/etc), only a few MB of drive space. (Thankfully desktop Linux has generally avoided the classic Windows pitfall of seemingly every app wanting to launch at boot and run in the system tray.)

(also sudoku is an underrated game IMHO)

Comment

Interesting. I genuinely hope it works excellently on release, but given how many years (decades?) it took to get Mutter and Kwin working solidly, I'm... a bit skeptical it will be working well enough for a 24.04 release.
            They both donĀ“t work solidly, after years, that is the problem. I want a desktop without endless bugs and stuttering on low end to high end hardware. Others mentioned on another thread that Gnome is a performance disaster, in general and compared to Cosmic:
            Phoronix: COSMIC Desktop Implements Fractional Scaling, Wallpaper Settings System76 developers working on their Rust-written COSMIC desktop have recently been improving a number of areas of this open-source desktop... https://www.phoronix.com/news/COSMIC-For-July

Phoronix: COSMIC Desktop Implements Fractional Scaling, Wallpaper Settings System76 developers working on their Rust-written COSMIC desktop have recently been improving a number of areas of this open-source desktop... https://www.phoronix.com/news/COSMIC-For-July

If Cosmic runs smooth on low end hardware, that is reason enough for me to use it even in Alpha or Beta stage.

As someone who has ran Gnome on a 2-in-1, trust me, Gnome is not made for touchscreens. I'm honestly not sure where this (surprisingly common) misconception comes from, but the current touchscreen experience on Gnome quite frankly sucks. There's work to improve the touchscreen experience with the experimental project to port Gnome Shell to run on phones (which is an exciting project, but that's a different discussion for a different time), but very, very little of that code has landed upstream yet (and the code that has landed is just backend architecture stuff).
            Maybe it is a false claim but afaic It was dumbed down for tablet users because touch was the new trend at this time. That is the reason for huge buttons and sandwich menus.
            It sucks at touch despite those "optimisations" which is double the shame .
            No blame to the developers, but there are so many other software projects which donĀ“t get the attention they deserve.

Gnome provides a list of recommended pre-install applications (https://apps.gnome.org/), but the actual pre-install list is ultimately decided by your distro of choice. Of note, Sudoku is not included in the official list. Also, pre-installed apps don't hog running resources (CPU/RAM/GPU/etc), only a few MB of drive space. (Thankfully desktop Linux has generally avoided the classic Windows pitfall of seemingly every app wanting to launch at boot and run in the system tray.)
            I refered to the bloat and junk apps seperatley. When it is bloat but all it can deliver is some junk apps, there is no reason to use it.

(also sudoku is an underrated game IMHO)
            It is quite simple, though.

Comment

They both donĀ“t work solidly, after years, that is the problem. I want a desktop without endless bugs and stuttering on low end to high end hardware. Others mentioned on another thread that Gnome is a performance disaster, in general and compared to Cosmic:

If Cosmic runs smooth on low end hardware, that is reason enough for me to use it even in Alpha or Beta stage.
              The first link is just someone wondering what performance might be like, the second definitely shows some promise though. However, looking at the issue tracker for cosmic-comp, a lot of basic functionality seems to be missing/broken right now. As necessary features are added and major bugs are fixed, it's very likely that it will reduce performance by some amount, though how much remains to be seen. (Look at prototype Webrender vs the Webrender that actually shipped as part of Firefox. The prototype was much faster at certain tasks, but had a ton of major rendering bugs and missing functionality with complex real-world websites and such.)

Maybe it is a false claim but afaic It was dumbed down for tablet users because touch was the new trend at this time. That is the reason for huge buttons and sandwich menus.
              It sucks at touch despite those "optimisations" which is double the shame .
              No blame to the developers, but there are so many other software projects which donĀ“t get the attention they deserve.

Comment

Working...
              X