GNOME Shell & Mutter 45 Betas Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
    The extremely annoying window focus issue is sadly still there and is now even worse since appMenu was removed in 45. I will leave this link here in case someone with mutter development skills wants the generous bug bounty for possible fix. ;-)
    Yes, how is it possible that his bug is not a release blocker?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS was released with a mix of GNOME 41 and GNOME 42 packages, so I wouldn't say that there is no chance.
      The Ubuntu 22.04 LTS shipped with basically GNOME 42 but some packages/apps were still GNOME 41 versions. Regardless, I was wrong... I thought the OP was asking about the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS getting GNOME 45 but he was asking about the Ubuntu 24.04 LTS release which will have at least GNOME 45 for sure.
      Last edited by oldtimefighter; 08 August 2023, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
        - *ready for a year*
        - checks merge request, latest commits 2 weeks ago.
        just wow!
        I am watching this MR for a year now: No review is done until a few weeks before the cycle ends, the feedback gets addressed and then nothing happens for a few months again.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
          The extremely annoying window focus issue is sadly still there and is now even worse since appMenu was removed in 45. I will leave this link here in case someone with mutter development skills wants the generous bug bounty for possible fix. ;-)
          This really needs to be a blocker. In addition to breaking a core WM feature (switching application windows) it's also a massive security hole. But hey, if we can't toggle our windows, at least we can toggle our keyboard backlights 🙄!

It's also making me question gnome development altogether. How can black boxes (ClutterGrab) get merged that apparently no one really fully understands? And instead of the obvious solution (reverting and testing in dev) apparently the thing that no one understands is immediately too crucial to remove? There must be some egos involved.

Last edited by phoronix_anon; 08 August 2023, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RomanAverin View Post
            What about Fraction Scaling?
            It was in the first announcement, but now?
            Good point, they are probably still arguing over how to do scaling instead of letting the user choose via settings

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

According to the release notes issue tracker, Cheese will be replaced by Snapshot.
              This Snapshot sounds interesting, I hope it will be able to do more than just take photos.
              I hope it will be able to replace the background behind the person with some other background, like a green screen, and I hope it will have AI-filters like cat ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
                Is the triple buffering code really that bad or is it a politically motivated excuse for not merging it?
                If Daniel wanted mutter!1441 to be merged, he needed to proactively engage accordingly with the mutter maintainers. I pointed this out in mutter!1441#note_1778838, but he seemed more concerned about downstream issues. I get the impression he's made himself comfortable with it as a downstream patch.

Anyway, the KMS thread should allow doing triple buffering in a simpler and more natural way, so it's unlikely that mutter!1441 will get merged in the current form.

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post
                After being ready for a year, the next step towards GNOME Mobile missed the second cycle as well: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/2389

[...]

Sad to see that community contributions review has such low priority to annoy people of rebasing for years until they stop contributing altogether.
                Jonas Dreßler is one of the main mutter developers.​

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post
                  After being ready for a year, the next step towards GNOME Mobile missed the second cycle as well: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/2389
                  If you read the thread it's very clear that it's still under development/review. The last thing Mutter needs is half-baked changes, I already ran into enough of those with Gnome 44.

Comment

If Cosmic Epoch is in good state for 24.04 and holds its promissions in the long term, I don´t care about Gnome anymore. This fine adjustments don´t change the fact, that Gnome is a resource hog since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Julien Bear View Post
                      If Cosmic Epoch is in good state for 24.04 and holds its promissions in the long term, I don´t care about Gnome anymore. This fine adjustments don´t change the fact, that Gnome is a resource hog since 2011.
                      If I'm not mistaken, the new Cosmic DE will still use Mutter, so changes to Mutter will still be applicable to you most likely.

Comment

Working...
                      X