No announcement yet.

GNOME Developers Working To Rethink Their Window Management Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be cool to be able to connect remote workstations as addon monitors.

Additionally -- I find it obtuse that computer systems are designed for 1 keyboard and 1 mouse only.

An 8K - 12K 50" Monitor with 2 users connected to the same screen with 2 sets of keyboards and mouses should be able to work in unison -- each with Active Windows, Hover over file menus and each of the cursors should be color-coordinated.

The age of innovation isn't over -- to a degree this is already possible but UX is not typically designed to function in such a awesome use-case.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      Oh shit, here we go again...

What are they going to remove now???
      I guess trolling and facts don't regularly mix, but when your entire post misses the story completely, you really have to admit you're a fucking failure.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        Oh shit, here we go again...

What are they going to remove now???
        Gnome is one of the most hated DEs I ever seen, it seems... Since 3.x they decided to make a tablet oriented GUI, but how many tablets is it installed?

I think that gnome is installed on 99% that are computer desktops, so what is the usefulness of having a tablet interface??

Comment

Remember when underworked graphics designers wanted to completely "re- invent" windows: "Why does a window have to be a rectangle?"
          I guess it was back in the early 1990's.

Comment

Do something original, such as clone Windows 10/11 behavior!

DWM just works, with a whole lot less code and a lot less eye-candy. DWM is a workhorse!

Comment

Originally posted by randomname View Post
              I still think it's insane they removed the tray icons. Does anyone use gnome without the kstatusnotifieritem extension? They should also fix the app menu because it really sucks and it doesn't even sort automatically.
              I like AppIndicator better.

Comment

I absolutely can't stand the mosaic/tiling approach.

Comment

With libadwaita's "new" adaptive apps, I guess that mosaic mode can make a lot of sense. It's like a desktop environment trying to facilitate those that are used to window managers. I can see myself using a buch of "phone sized" apps on the desktop, scaled to a small size to have a good overview of what i'm working with.
                  Still gives me the benefit of working on a desktop (so i can multitask), and it's clever usage of the adaptive libadwaita stuff. As usual it looks fricking awesome, kudo's to mr. Bernard.

Comment

I was hoping they might be adding smart window placement as an option, bit I'm not surprised they aren't, I'm struggling to think of any good decisions they've made since they decided to strip a bunch of customization options and make a tablet UI for desktops computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

At the expense of screen real estate? No, thanks.
                      That's a very one dimensional and bad view of design. If screen real estate were more important than anything else then padding would be useless and teeny, tiny icons with no text would always be preferable. That's not the case though.

That being said, we're talking about Gnome... the thing with an interface that's literally just a thin top bar most of the time. One of the things its critics don't like about it is how it doesn't have things like constantly viewable taskbar which would use more screen real estate.

Comment

Working...
                      X