GNOME Developers Working To Rethink Their Window Management Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrea76 View Post

Gnome is one of the most hated DEs I ever seen, it seems... Since 3.x they decided to make a tablet oriented GUI, but how many tablets is it installed?

I think that gnome is installed on 99% that are computer desktops, so what is the usefulness of having a tablet interface??
    What makes it tablet interface and not a desktop interface?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

I guess trolling and facts don't regularly mix, but when your entire post misses the story completely, you really have to admit you're a fucking failure.
      Some people are simple sad empty shells that only run on negative energy.

Live a little, laugh a little, absorb some positive energy every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

The “expected” input method, which in Gnome case, seems to expect fingers, instead mouse+pointer.

Plus huge waste of space.

Comment

The icon dashboard, for example. Absolutely unordered and chaotic, even if one doesn't know the app name and what is bit for.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Some people are simple sad empty shells that only run on negative energy.

Live a little, laugh a little, absorb some positive energy every now and then.
            Sorry, i have used it for 6 years, so i know what am i saying. Without extensions gnome is barely usable, and the extensions are prone to crash the entire shell

Comment

That's a very one dimensional and bad view of design. If screen real estate were more important than anything else then padding would be useless and teeny, tiny icons with no text would always be preferable. That's not the case though.

That being said, we're talking about Gnome... the thing with an interface that's literally just a thin top bar most of the time. One of the things its critics don't like about it is how it doesn't have things like constantly viewable taskbar which would use more screen real estate.
              So a lot of people are complaining that the current design of GNOME Shell is tablet-oriented and therefore wastes too much space, yet I'm the one who's one dimensional?

For the record: I have a 24" screen with 2K resolution, so I don't have a lack of screen real estate, but that doesn't mean I want to waste it either. More room for content and for when I need the extra screen real estate.

Comment

Sorry, i have used it for 6 years, so i know what am i saying. Without extensions gnome is barely usable, and the extensions are prone to crash the entire shell
                Likewise.

i jumped to Solus because of Budgie being so much better, thanks to the moronic design changes at gnome.

And as you said, its barely usable without extensions which is simply beyond stupid to ship the world most used DE in such state.

Comment

How did you manage to use it for 6 years!? I tried to use it once, and even with extensions I don't think I managed to last a week.

Comment

As a power user GNOME has proved to be the best DE for quick work IMO.

I have hardly to use the mouse when using it, and it's very beautiful and polished, and I use it almost vanilla.

Comment

Holy shit, every desktop that is primary targeted towards beginners will not be usable for most linux users that use Linux since 10-30 years. But you have to put your relatives that barely are able to use computers anymore on something, it's a wonder that they not switched all to android or apple, do more and more % of their work on mobile devices.

And even one of my relatives is still similar middle aged than I am (brother) and he uses pcs sind 30 years and has done even some assemble programming in his youth but did go some other profession, and is no IT guy, now, the current floating only approach (the edge tiling is a joke), is a bit limiting yet he can't really use a tiling wm and the tiling of PopOs is to complicated.

So I installed the last time we had to reinstall a OS, popos partially because I did not know popos tiling and thought it might be good, and at least they seemed to understand that floating is utter garbage and tried to fix the problem and maybe with their new rust desktop they might bring something more integrated and more usable.

So I don't understand the negativity every change on that front can only help make gnome not go totally irrelevant, loosing all it's noob users to mobile devices and loosing all the pro users to tiling wms, and only have some weird "but I want the behavior I am used to from 30 years ago" this people all use Plasma or XFCE today anyway.

Some here even admitted that they find gnome shit today, but hate on changes on it? I think even if they come up with semi-good defaults and I found the statement that a browser (might) always be fullscreen strange because on a 4k screen 50% is enough and you don't want to have that full screen usually so you have more than 1 window on your screen. I think it creates a infrastructure for addons to adjust to some people that want different behavior.

At worst it sucks so that the window arrangement stays shitty under gnome, nothing lost. It should be pretty easy to write a plugin or setting to force all windows to be floating again.

Comment

Working...
                      X