Chrome 112 Released With WASM Garbage Collection Trial, CSS Nesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 112 Released With WASM Garbage Collection Trial, CSS Nesting

Phoronix: Chrome 112 Released With WASM Garbage Collection Trial, CSS Nesting

Google today promoted the Chrome 112 web browser to their stable channel on all supported platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if Mozilla would stop monkeying around with useless / used by a few technologies and start prioritizing the perfomance impovements and supporting all the HTML5 / CSS3 tags and features!

I wonder how Wayland support is still not enabled by default when Firefox is running on a Wayland session and how video acceleration is still not enabled by default when the hardware and its drivers supports it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It would be nice if Mozilla would stop monkeying around with useless / used by a few technologies and start prioritizing the perfomance impovements and supporting all the HTML5 / CSS3 tags and features!

I wonder how Wayland support is still not enabled by default when Firefox is running on a Wayland session and how video acceleration is still not enabled by default when the hardware and its drivers supports it.
      On my AMD IGP + Nvidia laptop, the presence of Nvidia drivers completely breaks GPU acceleration in chromium wayland.

I'm not sure why... its been like this for a few versions, wayland works fine when the Nvidia driver is unloaded, and no config or flag I can find sucesfully tells Chromium to ignore the Nvidia driver or even partially fixed gpu acceleration. And its not even using the dGPU according to nvidia-smi.

Anyway, my point is there are probably edge cases like this that are blocking wayland by default. And my kind of breakage is "invisible" unless you happen to check about:gpu.
      Last edited by brucethemoose; 04 April 2023, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It would be nice if Mozilla ... start prioritizing the perfomance impovements
        That would probably involve porting back to C++ the parts that were ported to Rust in the Quantum update, where performance and features were cast away in favor of the "awesomeness" of Rust. Which would probably lead to civil unrest and great loss of life due to the Rust fanboys having a meltdown. Politically untenable.

Comment

If I remember correctly what was said in the issue tracker, this version should also have support for virtual keyboards under Wayland on devices such as MS Surface. Has anyone tried it already?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnacle View Post

That would probably involve porting back to C++ the parts that were ported to Rust in the Quantum update, where performance and features were cast away in favor of the "awesomeness" of Rust. Which would probably lead to civil unrest and great loss of life due to the Rust fanboys having a meltdown. Politically untenable.
            Wow, a politically motivated post about the incorrectly assumed political reasons behind a language choice, how ironic.

By the way, since you don't seem to even know why Rust exists or where it came from, Rust was literally made for Firefox, by Mozilla. It was the literal first project written in it and, as you might expect when taking into consideration that fact, far before anyone even cared about it, much less before it was popular. You may as well argue that Ken Thompson was a C fanboy and wrote Unix in C because it was so popular at the time.

Comment

Chrome 112 Released With WASM Garbage

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                Chrome 112 Released With WASM Garbage
                You don't seem to understand the value of WASM.
                A universal VM that every language can compile to that can run anywhere with zero-trust built-in, it can't even allocate memory unless you give it permission.
                Imagine a world where every app needs your permission to even allocate, where you can control if it can access your network, if it can even access memory, on any OS, not just using special Linux features, but as part of the core design of the platform that runs on any OS, all as an open standard that can use any of the several open source implementations on the market.
                Many people, including myself, have dreamed of this day ever since the JVM "promised" this and never delivered, the same for the CLR. We're finally entering a future where we actually get that level of security instead of it being considered a second thought byproduct that ends up sloughing off the main project.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Wow, a politically motivated post about the incorrectly assumed political reasons behind a language choice, how ironic.

By the way, since you don't seem to even know why Rust exists or where it came from, Rust was literally made for Firefox, by Mozilla. It was the literal first project written in it and, as you might expect when taking into consideration that fact, far before anyone even cared about it, much less before it was popular. You may as well argue that Ken Thompson was a C fanboy and wrote Unix in C because it was so popular at the time.
                  In the name of Rust, Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

In the name of Rust, Amen.
                    I'd argue that pointing out the absurdity of an unsound complaint the polar opposite of dogma.
                    I find it strange that, for whatever reason, some people decided they don't like Rust simply because it's popular, and, without knowing anything about it, assume it's a cult, since they don't know the technology or reasoning behind it. Being forced to insert politics (or religion, potato-potato) to attempt to reason with and argue against something one ordinarily has no power or understanding of.

Comment

Working...
                    X