KDE Developers Already Making Great Strides On Plasma 5.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    What 'attention to detail' are you talking about?

I always find plasma unpolished, buggy, cramped, cluttery and outdated UI. heck, even windows 7 looks better and modern than this plasma thingy.
    I wouldn't know about unpolished and buggy, but visually cramped and cluttery, yes.
    Aside from the desktop switcher I mentioned before, that feeling of clutter may be part of what drives me back to mate in the long run.
    From that point of view gnome is much more breathy and elegant. To a fault though. Which I don't like either. (I value my screen real-estate)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Might just simply be a matter of getting used to it. It's like driving the same car for 10 years, you're forced to replace it with something else, and it just never quite feels the same. You could also think of it like switching to a different keyboard layout, where typing will be slow and frustrating at first, but you just have to get used to it and you might like it better.

If you don't actually know the reason you dislike something, it's probably because you just didn't use it for long enough. There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike KDE, and even if some of them are superficial, well, nobody can tell you you're wrong (we might think you're being petty but that's not our problem). But if you're not sure, you're just not giving it a chance.
      Don't get me wrong. Before Gnome 2 came along I used KDE a lot.
      Gnome 1 was not good enough. But with gnome 2, I was quickly off KDE with very few regrets.
      In general I have no problem adapting. And I don't actually dislike KDE; it's just that I like MATE better.
      Last edited by _ReD_; 11 July 2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I don't really like admitting to this, but the GNOME desktop offered with CentOS 9 wasn't bad at all and I found it easy enough to use and figure out. While that overall style isn't my preference, if I would have added GNOME Tweaks and some taskbar/systray plugins I could have made it work for me.
        Though not for me, and as much as I hate to admit it too, nowadays gnome is probably the better choice for most users.
        And by that I mean—real—everyday computer users. Those who just want to browse the internet, write a document, etc.
        Those who don't care if it's Windows, Mac, Chrome-os, Android, Fucsia, Maroon, or Linux. Which is 99% of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          When I used Plasma and started Chrome, KWallet always wanted my password, despite the fact I'm not using it. Will this behavior disappear in Plasma 5.26?
          That sounds more like a bug in Chrome, or misconfigured Chrome defaults. KWallet is just doing its job. Firefox doesn't seem to suffer from this, at least I haven't ran into that.

It's super awesome that that freedesktop secrets (?) support finally materialized! It's a standard method to access and keep secrets, and finally KDE joins the club!

Can't wait to test 5.26! I generally speaking like KDE, but there are a few bullet points that drove me up the creek until I figured them out. Sadly, they tend to be more "critical" than my disagreements with Gnome 42, but when I have the time, I'll make sure to report them, if they are not yet!

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post

That sounds more like a bug in Chrome, or misconfigured Chrome defaults. KWallet is just doing its job. Firefox doesn't seem to suffer from this, at least I haven't ran into that.
            Honestly: When I don't use KWallet at all and have not stored a single password in it, KWallet should workaround this in my opinion. I don't even seriously consider to save my password in a desktop specific tool which works only under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
              Though not for me, and as much as I hate to admit it too, nowadays gnome is probably the better choice for most users.
              And by that I mean—real—everyday computer users. Those who just want to browse the internet, write a document, etc.
              Those who don't care if it's Windows, Mac, Chrome-os, Android, Fucsia, Maroon, or Linux. Which is 99% of them.
              Outside of two of the three complaints I brought up in the GNOME thread, that's how most people I know feel about GNOME when they see it too. Those two complaints are not having a functional taskbar with app switching and not have a system tray. My third one is the usual nerd complaint -- GNOME Tweaks By Default, Y'all. For me, light themes tend to promote headaches where Dark themes don't.

The default KDE setup is somewhere between Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows XP is what sent me to Linux and 7 was XP with Polish. Basically, I'm not the biggest fan of their default start menu or taskbar...KDE and Windows... Unlike GNOME, it is no big deal to change. Due to all the knobs and features I'm able to turn KDE into something between 2000 and XP and get on with my life. For me, Windows 2000 got it right the most in regards to a functional yet minimal desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by redgreen925 View Post

Bonus works great for the Brave browser too, no more damn password every time I start it, thanks for posting. On the subject at hand when switching back to GNU/Linux at the start of this year after going with MacOS when that steaming pile of dung KDE 4 came out. I tried the Gnome way again after ditching it for KDE pre 1.0 many moons ago when first using with Mandrake at the time. What a piece of junk it is still with limited choices, way to much foolishness to do basic things, applications switching all over the place on my multiple monitor setup. KDE on the other hand Just Works to steal Apples phrase I have been pleasantly surprised with the progress they have made.
                I would add I read a further post in this thread saying this disables the encrypted password store of Brave. Not wanting my passwords stored this way if the posting is true I found their were two other options to use gnome or kwallet tried both neither worked. What did however work so far is opening the kwalletmanager go to its Settings option to check the "Show manager in system tray" this keeps it running so Brave now actually finds the damn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by redgreen925 View Post

I would add I read a further post in this thread saying this disables the encrypted password store of Brave. Not wanting my passwords stored this way if the posting is true I found their were two other options to use gnome or kwallet tried both neither worked. What did however work so far is opening the kwalletmanager go to its Settings option to check the "Show manager in system tray" this keeps it running so Brave now actually finds the damn thing.
                  So much for that working on logout and back in. The lovely Arch Wiki has the answer that survives a login put these two lines in the /etc/pam.d/gdm-password file as I am still using that to manage the sessions after giving up on the Gnome install still on the drive. I put it at the bottom of the file, it has the files needed to be edited for other login managers on the page as well. Seems me not switching to the sddm may be the culprit in it not working properly but I cannot stand that garish wallpaper it has. Though reading the /etc/pam.d/sddm file shows a - in front of those two lines which I would think means they are not used.

Code:
                  ## Added to allow kwallet to automatically open on login.
                  ## https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE_Wallet
                  auth optional pam_kwallet5.so
                  session optional pam_kwallet5.so auto_start

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    When I used Plasma and started Chrome, KWallet always wanted my password, despite the fact I'm not using it. Will this behavior disappear in Plasma 5.26?
                    If you are using Plasma, Chrome will save your cookies, passwords and any sensitive data in a secure way at Kwallet, this is hardcoded at chrome, you can deny access for chrome to Kwallet, and it will block this behaviour, but it is not recommended

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I use:

Code:
                      CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --password-store=basic"
                      in my /etc/chromium/defaults to stop this from happening
                      I think just denying chrome access to Kwallet the first time it asks is more simple than changing a system file

Comment

Working...
                      X