Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Already Making Great Strides On Plasma 5.26

Phoronix: KDE Developers Already Making Great Strides On Plasma 5.26

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly recap of all the interesting KDE changes this week, which includes building up of more work targeting Plasma 5.26 this autumn as well as KDE application enhancements and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KWallet now supports the org.freedesktop.secrets standard to increase compatibility with third-party credential storage methods.
    When I used Plasma and started Chrome, KWallet always wanted my password, despite the fact I'm not using it. Will this behavior disappear in Plasma 5.26?

Comment

I hoped they would be working on HDR support too for the next version of KDE Plasma...

Comment

That's up to wayland first, no?

Comment

I don't know what's up with me and KDE/Plasma. It's been the same since the 90's: from time to time I try it and I'm delighted by the attention to detail, the functionality—and I find nothing wrong that I can put a finger on... Yet, after a few days, I find myself back on Mate - of all... Perhaps it's something superficial, like the general looks or the taskbar aspect ratio... Because otherwise, the functionality is there, discoverable, ergonomic. I don't know... I'm at a loss.

Comment

Where I'm not at a loss is GNOME. And it is OFF Topic, but let me rant for a moment...
            Gnome is definitively not for me: too few—too big icons, too many clicks, too many steps, too oriented to full-screen. (I -want- to be "distracted" by multiple options, windows, and minimized apps—with text—on task-bars.) </rant>
            Now that I think of it, it's probably the Mate desktop switcher that steals me back from KDE/Plasma every time. And the fact that I tend to use 8 desktops most of the time, probably has its weight.

Comment

i just give it another try to this plasma wayland and my APU gpu
              it stutters so much more than cinnamon. at first i thought its the kernel (was testing the default kernel of arch with its amd-pstate) but then i switch back to tkg kernel and it still stutters as hell.

_ReD_i had the same problem. the difference is that i go back to cinnamon. now i have one more as you can read up.

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
                ...too many clicks, too many steps...
                I actually switched to Gnome after 20 years with KDE. I find myself on my KDE desktop and Windows to get the simicity hitting the windows key and switching, since the way I cover with the mouse or by alt+tab is just way slower switching.

That may be because I only work on two full HD screens, but once used to it I would not want to go back.

I had to get used to relying on plugins/extensions though. Gnome out of the box is just not enough for me (as switching between headset and speakers or tray icons... I need that).

Performance whiseI have to say that KDE was way better. Especially with video accelerated things and games (games in windowed non-fullscreen in Gnome have terrible input lags, does not happen in KDE/Kwin).

That said, I find KDE too overloaded, a load of features I never use which get in my way when searching what I want to change. Nice to have but too much for me personaly.

And KDE bugs, don't know why, but I tend to hit all kind of long standing bugs especially with muti display support, or not properly applying dark mode. Must be me, but those are things I expect to work.

That said, I think both got their purpose and userbase, both have great devs behind it and they try to make the best experience in their mind, whatever shape or form they consider the best. And that's not a bad thing, that is how they evolve.

I still try KDE and again and again find it not as fitting as Gnome for me. Others will have a contrary experience and opinion, and that's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  When I used Plasma and started Chrome, KWallet always wanted my password, despite the fact I'm not using it. Will this behavior disappear in Plasma 5.26?
                  I use:

Code:
                  CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --password-store=basic"
                  in my /etc/chromium/defaults to stop this from happening

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I use:

Code:
                    CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --password-store=basic"
                    in my /etc/chromium/defaults to stop this from happening
                    Bonus works great for the Brave browser too, no more damn password every time I start it, thanks for posting. On the subject at hand when switching back to GNU/Linux at the start of this year after going with MacOS when that steaming pile of dung KDE 4 came out. I tried the Gnome way again after ditching it for KDE pre 1.0 many moons ago when first using with Mandrake at the time. What a piece of junk it is still with limited choices, way to much foolishness to do basic things, applications switching all over the place on my multiple monitor setup. KDE on the other hand Just Works to steal Apples phrase I have been pleasantly surprised with the progress they have made.

Comment

Working...
                    X