Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

What's so good about that new text editor (and the new terminal)? I think they both suck because they just don't have any features at all (I get it, Gnome is not KDE, but removing features from the apps themselves is too much for me). I've seen even the most die hard Gnome fans criticize the new terminal. Fedora 36 unfortunately replaced Gedit with the new text editor, but kept the old terminal. I hope the terminal will not be replaced with the new one in a future version.
    Meanwhile KDE Spectacle offering to save screenshots as .cur or .ico files, but not .webp (Ubuntu 22.04)!

Both sides work hard to keep the Linux desktop share at 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

What? Why do you think it is virtually useless? It's just meant to be a modern gedit replacement (a fancy text editor), not a full fledged IDE like GNOME Builder.
      Back in the day Gedit2 was probably the best text editor. One of my favorite programs of all time. Gedit 3 is what got me to leave GNOME for good because for it modern meant "stripping down the UI and putting everything useful in the Hamburger." Gedit 3 was the modern replacement of one of my favorite editors and it doesn't need an even more modern replacement where "even more modern" means "removed everything that made Gedit 3 worth using."

Nobody wants these stripped-down and limited programs by default. Nobody wants a system where step one is to replace the default programs.

FWIW, I don't like that KDE is doing this either. Kate should be default; not KWrite.

For some ROLF, can't make this shit up, humor. Gnome Text Editor is touted as "a simple text editor that focuses on session management." The major difference between Kate and KWrite -- KWrite doesn't have session management. That's basically it.

Now here's the humor -- On GNOME the barebones editor is essentially Gedit with everything useful but session management removed while on KDE the barebones editor is essentially Kate with everything useful in place except session management . I don't think they could be any more opposite if they tried.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Meanwhile KDE Spectacle offering to save screenshots as .cur or .ico files, but not .webp (Ubuntu 22.04)!

Both sides work hard to keep the Linux desktop share at 1%.
        It does on my system running Manjaro 22.A Few Hours Ago. Ubuntu will get it sometime in the next two years.

Comment

What's so good about that new text editor (and the new terminal)? I think they both suck because they just don't have any features at all
          Originally posted by George99 View Post
          Well, I tried gnome-text-editor and all I can say it is virtually useless for all practical purposes.
          So, what kind of features are you looking for in a text editor? It's not meant to be a full blown IDE or a word processor.
          What is it missing as a text editor?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It does on my system running Manjaro 22.A Few Hours Ago. Ubuntu will get it sometime in the next two years.
            I'm starting to agree that Ubuntu is not the polished OS it used to be, that made it dominate the Linux desktop. If this continues I'll switch away from it eventually.

Comment

What's so good about that new text editor (and the new terminal)? I think they both suck because they just don't have any features at all (I get it, Gnome is not KDE, but removing features from the apps themselves is too much for me). I've seen even the most die hard Gnome fans criticize the new terminal. Fedora 36 unfortunately replaced Gedit with the new text editor, but kept the old terminal. I hope the terminal will not be replaced with the new one in a future version.
              Gedit was unmaintained from long time (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14936134) , so Gnome Builder developer and others created new text editor , so if community has so much interest in Gedit why don't do kickstarter and fund the developer (he tried https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gedit-crowdfunding/4518) or contribute with code, I am sure Gnome will make it default if it is maintained properly, same with new Terminal (contributed by Purism Developer).

Similarly Gnome Online Accounts going through this phase https://discourse.gnome.org/t/a-refl...-dwindles/8230

So if you want something, you have get involved before it is too late.
              https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/A...2FUnmaintained.

PS: I am not Gnome user , Sway user BTW

Comment

Back in the day Gedit2 was probably the best text editor. One of my favorite programs of all time. Gedit 3 is what got me to leave GNOME for good because for it modern meant "stripping down the UI and putting everything useful in the Hamburger." Gedit 3 was the modern replacement of one of my favorite editors and it doesn't need an even more modern replacement where "even more modern" means "removed everything that made Gedit 3 worth using."

Nobody wants these stripped-down and limited programs by default. Nobody wants a system where step one is to replace the default programs.

FWIW, I don't like that KDE is doing this either. Kate should be default; not KWrite.

For some ROLF, can't make this shit up, humor. Gnome Text Editor is touted as "a simple text editor that focuses on session management." The major difference between Kate and KWrite -- KWrite doesn't have session management. That's basically it.

Now here's the humor -- On GNOME the barebones editor is essentially Gedit with everything useful but session management removed while on KDE the barebones editor is essentially Kate with everything useful in place except session management . I don't think they could be any more opposite if they tried.
                Nobody stops you from using gedit 2.x. Just use pluma.

Comment

You could of course just install Kate on Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                    Yeah, you'd think that most Linux users would want the more feature-packed and customizable software, which is KDE. GNOME seems to try to target very novice users (which should account for 0% of Linux desktop users), and it does so with a desktop environment that would be unfamiliar to them.
                    Gnome is somewhere between a W95 styled UI and a window manager. Some prefer that.

Comment

Huh, it doesn't on Arch for me. That is weird. Maybe it requires some optional dependency (possibly indirect optional dependency via some KDE media library or such).

EDIT: Had a quick look and couldn't find anything obvious. What is the package version of Spectacle you have? Also, the PKGBUILD on Arch has some rather weird looking dependencies. Like why would spectacle depend on qt5-tools as opposed to qt5-base etc?
                      Last edited by Vorpal; 21 May 2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X