Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

An early change made this week to Ubuntu 22.10 in its early development state is replacing the PulseAudio sound server with PipeWire...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I've been using PipeWire for over a year and it just works! And apps like Helvum make life much easier.

On a side note, It's also interesting that they replaced Gedit with Text Editor, so Ubuntu is finally embracing Libadwaita apps.
    Last edited by Vermilion; 21 May 2022, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
      Nice.
      It's also interesting that they replaced Gedit with Text Editor, so Ubuntu is finally embracing Libadwaita apps.
      What's so good about that new text editor (and the new terminal)? I think they both suck because they just don't have any features at all (I get it, Gnome is not KDE, but removing features from the apps themselves is too much for me). I've seen even the most die hard Gnome fans criticize the new terminal. Fedora 36 unfortunately replaced Gedit with the new text editor, but kept the old terminal. I hope the terminal will not be replaced with the new one in a future version.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
        Nice.
        It's also interesting that they replaced Gedit with Text Editor
        Well, I tried gnome-text-editor and all I can say it is virtually useless for all practical purposes. It feels like a beginner's first try of coding a piece of software but nothing which I would release to public.

Comment

I would add that I completely understand decisions like removing desktop or tray icons if the motive is to remove hacky code, because that's the reason Gnome is so stable unlike KDE. But it seems that the reason they try to replace Gedit and the old terminal with the new apps is because this way they can also be used on the Gnome mobile ui (or whatever it's called). I'm not a fan of that. It seems they try to adopt convergence (a la Windows 8)
          Last edited by user1; 21 May 2022, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Gnome is so stable unlike KDE.
            My Manjaro KDE without a single crash in two years is offended by this statement.

Comment

wahay, good to see them jump on the pipewire bandwagon.

On Libadwaita apps, I hope they work upstream to make sure the features they want are present.

I dont know why people consider gnome-text-editor to have less features than gedit. It mostly has more, but there is not a 100% overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                My Manjaro KDE without a single crash in two years is offended by this statement.
                I've used KDE on Manjaro, Tumbleweed and Kubuntu. I can say that on Manjaro KDE crashes can go undetected because it doesn't show any notification message about the crash. On the latter 2 it does show them.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                  Well, I tried gnome-text-editor and all I can say it is virtually useless for all practical purposes. It feels like a beginner's first try of coding a piece of software but nothing which I would release to public.
                  What? Why do you think it is virtually useless? It's just meant to be a modern gedit replacement (a fancy text editor), not a full fledged IDE like GNOME Builder.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Yeah, you'd think that most Linux users would want the more feature-packed and customizable software, which is KDE. GNOME seems to try to target very novice users (which should account for 0% of Linux desktop users), and it does so with a desktop environment that would be unfamiliar to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X