Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Huh, it doesn't on Arch for me. That is weird. Maybe it requires some optional dependency (possibly indirect optional dependency via some KDE media library or such).

EDIT: Had a quick look and couldn't find anything obvious. What is the package version of Spectacle you have? Also, the PKGBUILD on Arch has some rather weird looking dependencies. Like why would spectacle depend on qt5-tools as opposed to qt5-base etc?
    Version 22.04. Do you have qt5-imageformats installed? AFAICT that's the one with the webp dependency.

Comment

I hope they test out recording as well as playback. I tried switching to pipewire on arch and it completely broke recording (not silent, just broken). I had to switch back to pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

If you've ever used MacOS you'd recognize modern Gnome as a bastardized and near useless derivative of the Mac UI that can't figure out whether it wants to be a touch UX, a traditional desktop UX, wastes screen real estate with abandon, and has even fewer options of customization, along with a developer community even more tyrannical with the "we know best" mentality. (Tell us how you really feel about Gnome, Stormcrow!)

Edit to add: Luckily in Linux-land, BSD land, etc the UI is also user selectable so no one is really "stuck" with Gnome. You can ignore it, get rid of it, etc.
        LOL.

PS. Luckily we have choice or is that an issue now too?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Sometimes it bothers me that we had better text editors back in 1986 (CygnusEd on the Amiga) than what we have in 2022, what happened to progress?
          Dunno. In Windows machine in office, I use notepad++. No matter Gedit, Pluma, Xed, or this new Gnome Text Editor, none of them support a switch of text encoding AFTER a file is opened and user finds the text garbled. They all seem to think it is good enough for someone to re-navigate in open file dialog, pick out the file again, select text encoding there, AND REPEAT the whole procedure if this try doesn't work. I guess they all think UTF-8 is the present and future thus we don't need to care the past archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
            I hope they test out recording as well as playback. I tried switching to pipewire on arch and it completely broke recording (not silent, just broken). I had to switch back to pulseaudio.
            Pipewire recording works, generally speaking.
            It may be helpful to purge pulseaudio and/or delete all hidden config files in the user directory.

Comment

How much geoclue impacts on privacy? No options / notifications about this spyware during installation / first login?

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Dunno. In Windows machine in office, I use notepad++. No matter Gedit, Pluma, Xed, or this new Gnome Text Editor, none of them support a switch of text encoding AFTER a file is opened and user finds the text garbled. They all seem to think it is good enough for someone to re-navigate in open file dialog, pick out the file again, select text encoding there, AND REPEAT the whole procedure if this try doesn't work. I guess they all think UTF-8 is the present and future thus we don't need to care the past archives.
                I'm pretty sure every Scintilla-based editor works that way, such as, SciTE, Geany, and of course Notepad++. But also others like Kate that don't use Scintilla.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Meanwhile KDE Spectacle offering to save screenshots as .cur or .ico files, but not .webp (Ubuntu 22.04)!

Both sides work hard to keep the Linux desktop share at 1%.
                  I've just tried in Kubuntu 22.04 and KDE Spectacle also offers saving screenshots as .webp

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzie View Post

I'm pretty sure every Scintilla-based editor works that way, such as, SciTE, Geany, and of course Notepad++. But also others like Kate that don't use Scintilla.
                    Wait, Scintilla is a text-edit / code-edit component. I think text-encoding switching should be independent of that? (Now I am considering if I shall switch text editor at home, after you remind me the alternatives.)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It does on my system running Manjaro 22.A Few Hours Ago. Ubuntu will get it sometime in the next two years.
                      As anyone can try by himself (https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/kubuntu-2004/), under Kubuntu 22.04, now:
                      KDE Spectacle offers saving screenshots as .webp

Comment

Working...
                      X