Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 98 Set For Release With Dialog Element, Still Working On Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    It's a bit annoying. Yes, you can check that box and it asks on every single download, but sometimes you don't want to download a certain file and just open it within the browser of using you own installed system program. Having to first download everything in order to open it is a bit of a pain and requires some adjustment to your workflow if you're used to how it was before. I just have to now remember to purge my downloads folder every day or so.
    You're saying my "Do you want to open this or save it?" dialog will be gone next time I restart Firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

You're saying my "Do you want to open this or save it?" dialog will be gone next time I restart Firefox?
      The way it works now is that every file you open from the browser (email attachments, files embedded in websites, etc.) has to be saved to your PC first, even if you open it directly from the browser (like opening a PDF on a browser tab). By default, FF will download the files into your download folder without asking. This you can change from the preferences menu so that you get asked every time the location of the download, but the file still has to be downloaded. You still have the option of opening files with a system program, but again, the file will be downloaded first to the download folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

The way it works now is that every file you open from the browser (email attachments, files embedded in websites, etc.) has to be saved to your PC first, even if you open it directly from the browser (like opening a PDF on a browser tab). By default, FF will download the files into your download folder without asking. This you can change from the preferences menu so that you get asked every time the location of the download, but the file still has to be downloaded. You still have the option of opening files with a system program, but again, the file will be downloaded first to the download folder.
        If that's true, then God ****ing damn them for copying Chrome. I prefer the old way of Open With using /tmp for that. It's annoying as hell that I need a cronjob for rm -f /mnt/Seagate_10TB/flatpak-incoming/chromium/*.torrent
        Last edited by ssokolow; 16 March 2022, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

If that's true, then God ****ing damn them for copying Chrome. I prefer the old way of Open With using /tmp for that. It's annoying as hell that I need a cronjob for rm -f /mnt/Seagate_10TB/flatpak-incoming/chromium/*.torrent
          Ugly hack solution: set download directory to /tmp/, since you'll always use the "Save As" flow when you actually want to download something.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

Ugly hack solution: set download directory to /tmp/, since you'll always use the "Save As" flow when you actually want to download something.
            That would have worked before, but not now, because I still need to separate the stuff that needs to be deleted automatically from the stuff that the WebExtensions API forces to be in the download directory, such as the output of my batch-downloader extensions or the "personal wiki software and data in a single file" files my TiddlyWiki integration extension saves and makes backups of.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The default setting is to automatically save files to your Downloads folder, but in settings you can change it to "Always ask you where to save files".
              Yes, I´ve been doing that for about 18-20 years.
              One of the first things I set up the few times I´ve had to reinstall Firefox over the years without reusing a stored profile.

Comment

Working...
              X