Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 98 Set For Release With Dialog Element, Still Working On Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    The HTML5 support still suck in Firefox unfortunately!
    Scores/benchmarks aren't everything

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Firefox has been doing the former for ages. Sit on the "Open or Save As?" dialog for a while, choose one, and watch download progress jump far ahead of what your connection would enable within a second.

As for "improved workflow", I already selected "prompt every time" instead of "just use my downloads folder" in the settings, so I hope this won't be another thing I have to about:config back to what I want.
      I hope that behaviour can be turned off. Many people use connections without 'unlimited' data. Much like the pre-caching of links, again, it uses data that some people pay for.

Comment

blackshard

It looks quite incredible to me that there still some people that makes executable (.exe) files downloadable without zipping them first.
        I mean, if I see a .exe file I immediately cancel the download and if executable gets downloaded, it goes into the trash bin directly.
        Er, huh? Why do you think that matters? Why would you do that?

And how often do you download .exe filters on Linux anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Correct. HTML5 is essentially dead. What exists now is as far as it's going. The reason it might not support EVERY HTML5 item is because no one is using that obscure HTLM5 feature and it was deprecated. Why put effort into a dead end? There was no adoption of all of them so why bother. 4 years after HTML 5.2 and STILL no true HTML 5.3 standard because it's dead (https://www.w3.org/standards/history/html53).
          Last edited by kozman; 07 March 2022, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Of course, but since there are no other easy way to measure HTML5 features support, I think scores are good for that.
            And it's not just scores, you can easily see below the score which features are support and which not.
            If you look, Firefox doesn't even support all the HTML5 form elements, which are really important ans a shame to not support them all.

As for benchmarks, they at least give you and idea how responsive the web browser will be when loading heavy websites and how power efficient they might be on portable devices.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I don't know, maybe into ~/Downloads/ or it asks the first time or something, but Chrome and Edge already immediately starts the download when you click on a link without prompting where to save it. Pages can also use JavaScript to initiate downloads without user interaction.
              I abhor Chrome or Edge behavior regarding downloads, especially the invading bar at the bottom.

I want my browser to ask me where to download each and every file. I hope it will stay the same if you don´t have the default setting.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Did not work for me with 98 beta without MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1 .
                For me, on intel tigerlake wayland (Fedora), I confirm that this setting is no longer needed, on v97. I get hardware decoding merely with media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled (verified with intel_gpu_top). So it's close to a breakthrough for desktop linux. Hardware video decoding is now easy to activate, and it must be nudging closer to being a default.
                ... but on 98 beta, I agree, it does not work on its own. Hmm.
                Last edited by timrichardson; 07 March 2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Absolutely correct - usability is important as well, something which Mozilla seems to have forgotten somewhere. But that is a different can of worms...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Absolutely correct - usability is important as well, something which Mozilla seems to have forgotten somewhere. But that is a different can of worms...
                    Usability has slightly decreased, sure. But it is still very usable. While Chrome is back to a pre-alpha state with very little usability.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      I abhor Chrome or Edge behavior regarding downloads, especially the invading bar at the bottom.

I want my browser to ask me where to download each and every file. I hope it will stay the same if you don´t have the default setting.
                      Again, this functionality has absolutely nothing to do with choosing where to download files. The download starts in the background, and will wind up wherever you choose.

Comment

Working...
                      X