Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 98 Set For Release With Dialog Element, Still Working On Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Usability has slightly decreased, sure. But it is still very usable. While Chrome is back to a pre-alpha state with very little usability.
    For me, the death spiral of Firefox really started when they shifted to "Quantum" and all the old addons and extensions broke. I had a nifty collection I used for various tasks across different profiles, and none of the replacements managed to do what they did.

I've since moved what I can to some home-made scripts but the constantly shrinking market share of a browser that used to basically own the market (no thanks to Google bribing just about every free/shareware programmer to include Chrome in the "suggested installs" and the endless "Chrome is faster!" propaganda) is a testament to how poorly Firefox is doing. Chrome might be faster, but it's also temperamentally unstable at times (largely due to the insane update cadence, I think...?)

I still use Firefox, but for daily browsing I now mostly use Brave. It's behaved well for me so far. There are, unfortunately, a fair few websites I'm forced to view with Chrome, because the on-the-fly translation is an absolute life saver when you're not fluent in kanji.

Comment

Nightly still isn't showing the correct Titlebar/Taskbar icons. Instead it is still showing the Generic Wayland "W". Fedora has had this this fixed for at least a year. Why Mozilla can't seem to correct this is a bit puzzling.

Comment

Since upgrading to 98, I'm experiencing scroll stutters on certain pages, like Phoronix Forums or YouTube channels

Comment

I upgraded to 98.0 and Firefox became sluggish, choppy and pegs a CPU core to 100% when scrolling. Hardware rendering isn't working at all. Was super smooth in 97.0.2. This is on X11 with latest nvidia drivers.

Looks like Mozilla's QA isn't doing anything.

Update:

A reboot fixed it. Computers...
          Last edited by RealNC; 09 March 2022, 07:58 AM.

Comment

wkNI8EB.png
            What the fuck is this horseshit

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              For me, the death spiral of Firefox really started when they shifted to "Quantum" and all the old addons and extensions broke. I had a nifty collection I used for various tasks across different profiles, and none of the replacements managed to do what they did.
              There is a very serious reason to do so, and they had to do sooner or later.
              Now extensions must pass through Firefox API (which is shared and compatible with Chrome/Chromium though) and don't have full access to all browser things like before: more manageable, more secure, tidier and cleaner at the expense of a full paradigm change.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                A reboot fixed it. Computers...
                But, but... I keep getting told it's only Windows that has the "a reboot will fix it" issue!

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                What the fuck is this horseshit
                That's called "selling to the highest bidder".

But that is one fugly CGI "panda".

Comment

Its a shame that Wayland by default got put off. Just to check the difference I downloaded 99beta from flathub-beta and the font rendering is a night and dya difference on fractionally scaled displays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    I abhor Chrome or Edge behavior regarding downloads, especially the invading bar at the bottom.

I want my browser to ask me where to download each and every file. I hope it will stay the same if you donĀ“t have the default setting.
                    The default setting is to automatically save files to your Downloads folder, but in settings you can change it to "Always ask you where to save files".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The default setting is to automatically save files to your Downloads folder, but in settings you can change it to "Always ask you where to save files".

It's a bit annoying. Yes, you can check that box and it asks on every single download, but sometimes you don't want to download a certain file and just open it within the browser of using you own installed system program. Having to first download everything in order to open it is a bit of a pain and requires some adjustment to your workflow if you're used to how it was before. I just have to now remember to purge my downloads folder every day or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X