MythTV 32 Released With Vulkan Rendering, Tons Of Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
    Seems funny. I use to be a big movie fan and home theater type guy with a huge DVD collection. There was nothing better than a Friday night movie after a long hard week. Man those were better days. I've given all that up since what passes for entertainment now a days is insulting. I have a NAS drive with a couple TBs of movie classics I'll watch occasionally but that is about it.
    Wow, that's exactly how I feel. I used to be the guy that bought into the new formats right away (got a DVD player in like 1998, had an HDTV a couple year later). Now, I just have no interest in any of the movies or shows.
    I assume I'm just old.

Comment

Congrats to the MythTV devs and a big thanks. I can't wait to try it out.

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Wow, that's exactly how I feel. I used to be the guy that bought into the new formats right away (got a DVD player in like 1998, had an HDTV a couple year later). Now, I just have no interest in any of the movies or shows.
      I assume I'm just old.
      I still have my old collection and it is what I usually watch. They don't mke much that interests me any more.

Comment

Seems funny. I use to be a big movie fan and home theater type guy with a huge DVD collection. There was nothing better than a Friday night movie after a long hard week. Man those were better days. I've given all that up since what passes for entertainment now a days is insulting. I have a NAS drive with a couple TBs of movie classics I'll watch occasionally but that is about it.
        And if you do find something that interests you, just find some pirate streaming site, and watch whatever you want (no download required).

Comment

Originally posted by jochendemuth View Post
          I mostly stopped watching and recording stuff.
          I still do some very occasional off-the-air recording, but I just use MPlayer's DVB backend. It can give you raw MPEG-2 TS bitstreams, which you can edit natively with avidemux (avoids transcoding, if you configure it properly) and then burn to a BD-R. Every Blu-Ray player I tried will play the files off a normal BD-R with UDF filesystem. My TV will also play the files off a USB drive with a VFAT filesystem.

BTW, my tuner is a Hauppage USB stick I bought probably 6 years ago. Before that, I used a PCI card I bought in 2005, but it became flaky.

Comment

I used to be the guy that bought into the new formats right away (got a DVD player in like 1998, had an HDTV a couple year later).
            I'm pretty trailing-edge, though I probably first got a DVD player in '97 or '98. I got a progressive-scan player in 2002 and a 29" SVGA monitor to watch it on. But I didn't upgrade to blu-ray and a 1080p flat screen until 2013!

I got my first laserdisc player in probably 2004 and collected a few dozen rare LDs that I somehow never got around to ripping. That said, it took me a while to find a good studio-grade SDI composite decoder, which I stupidly got without audio, making the capture setup even more complex.

Now, I just have no interest in any of the movies or shows.
            I still watch a movie every week or so (usually by streaming, but sometimes Blu-Ray). Just going by IMDB ratings + the plot synopsis works pretty well for me. There's a lot out there, and streaming services give you easy access to entire back catalogs (which helps, because I went for about 15 years of not watching anything in theaters, nor even broadcast TV).

I don't really watch any series, but that's mostly because I don't want to make the time-commitment and hate not finishing something.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
              And if you do find something that interests you, just find some pirate streaming site, and watch whatever you want (no download required).
              Umm, No. I've never pirated movies. All the copies I have are backups from physical media. The only thing I've ever bit-torrented was ISOs for linux distros.

If there is something new I think might be worth watching I'll catch it on VUDO or something like that for a few a few dollars. But that happens few and far between.

Comment

Umm, No. I've never pirated movies. All the copies I have are backups from physical media. The only thing I've ever bit-torrented was ISOs for linux distros.
                Same. And it bugs the heck out of me that my internet provider prevents torrent seeding to this very day, mostly because of piracy.

BTW, the only thing I ever ripped were CDs (for my own use) and a couple used DVDs that had surface damage and wouldn't play properly on my set-top player.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  BTW, the only thing I ever ripped were CDs (for my own use) and a couple used DVDs that had surface damage and wouldn't play properly on my set-top player.
                  Yeah, it was when the first FLAC first came out I ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC music files and put my CDs away from "hey, let me barrow---" friends and family.
                  I learned a long time ago never to loan out CDs or DVDs. IF you get them back they will usually be destroyed. I can't imagine what they are doing but it seems the dog is loading the CD player for them. Smart dog but hell on the media.
                  Last edited by Dr. Righteous; 28 February 2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I learned a long time ago never to loan out CDs or DVDs. IF you get them back they will usually be destroyed. I can't imagine what they are doing but it seem the dog is loading the CD player for them. Smart dog but hell on the media.
                    3D blu-rays are the main thing I would loan (pre-pandemic). A guy at my office also collected them and actually had more than I did, so I was the net-beneficiary from that exchange. Even if I didn't get them all back, I don't much care as I pretty much never watch anything twice.

To your point, the discs often came back with some dirt or fingerprints on them, which I'd wash with dish soap (when I could be bothered). For a fellow collector, he was less careful than I'd have expected. I know nobody else in his household was watching them.

Comment

Working...
                    X