MythTV 32 Released With Vulkan Rendering, Tons Of Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 32 Released With Vulkan Rendering, Tons Of Other Improvements

Phoronix: MythTV 32 Released With Vulkan Rendering, Tons Of Other Improvements

The MythTV open-source digital video recorder (DVR) software isn't nearly as popular as it was a decade ago considering all of the Internet streaming services these days, but the developers behind it continue pushing forward this open-source DVR solution. Out today is MythTV 32.0 as the first major release in nearly two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought myth was dead a long time ago lol

Comment

Those were the days. I was dreaming of a PC hooked up to the TV and sound-system for an all-singing and dancing entertainment system since my early Amiga days. Begin 2000, hardware and software seemed to catch up to make this a reality. If I had gone the Windows route, it would have been a reality. But my distaste of everything Microsoft at that time prevented me to do that. Then around 2002, MythTV came around, and I installed it. Every PC I had, ran Gentoo. Because of my fondness of rolling releases. But with MythTV this wasn't working. Every update, things went bad, and I spent days to get things working again. Things I had learned the previous breakage, didn't work and didn't help me much. It was a nightmare to get and keep running. So, I installed a PC with Debian or Ubuntu (I don't remember), got MythTV more or less working, even with the capture card, and let it roll for a year or so. Without tinkering with it too much. Afraid to break things. But it was never really great. Slowly, but surely, my media PC dream went another route. With my Sony PlayStation 3 and some UPnP server special for made for this combination, I believe it was even called "PlayStation 3 Media Server". This, thanks to the Blu-ray and PS3 remote, served me well for several years, and then Kodi jumped from the Xbox to Linux, and I never looked back since.
      Last edited by markus40; 24 February 2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I've been running MythTV since he late 90s using it for al media playback and recording OTA.
        I'll upgrade in a month after any new showstoppers are fixed.
        I'm hoping it runs well on my new AMD 5600G media box.

Comment

Pitty cable in the USA is encrypted nowadays so you can't set yourself up with an easy DVR. My cable company charges so much extra for a DVR it is insane but they do offer ondemand shows so I can watch the shows I miss working nights at work but with commercials. I built my first mythUbuntu box in 2016 right as my cable company announced they were going encrypted.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Pitty cable in the USA is encrypted nowadays
            By nowadays, you mean like since the 90s, right?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

By nowadays, you mean like since the 90s, right?
              No I lived in Nebraska in 2016 and you could watch basic cable without a cable box for awhile then they changed it.

Comment

I still use it, in the UK we have freeview and freesat unencrypted TV.

Comment

In 2006 Mythtv allowed me to record TV in HD - a while before Tivo or others allowed recording HD. I cut the cable when moving to FIOS. Initially, I hooked up Mythtv OTA, but the reception is too spotty where I live - I mostly stopped watching and recording stuff.
                  Just this weekend I noticed that mythbackend failed a while back without me even noticing.

Comment

Seems funny. I use to be a big movie fan and home theater type guy with a huge DVD collection. There was nothing better than a Friday night movie after a long hard week. Man those were better days. I've given all that up since what passes for entertainment now a days is insulting. I have a NAS drive with a couple TBs of movie classics I'll watch occasionally but that is about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X