Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
    In the next months:

"KDE Plasma 5.25 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support".
    Or: KDE 5.24-rc released with perfect wayland support

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Eh VSCode isn't as slow as it appears to be mainly due to the fact that any bottlenecks are not done in electron but rather written with native code. Atom (the editor by github) did everything in Javascript/Electron which was the primary reason it was so god damn slow.
      I didn't mean VSCode was slow. I meant it's a resource hog.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

FWIW I at work I am currently working with big JSON files (i.e. > 5mb) where all of the characters are on a single line and even nvim is sluggish/slow. I often have to resort to tools like cat or awk to work with such massive files
        Same. In my case, mysql database dumped with mysqldump. Tried kwrite, kate, nvim, vim. Too slow. Gedit feels better. I usually use head and sed. Or use sublime text. None above is more responsive than sublime (or vscode) when I've to work with big file (> 4mb).

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

could it possible for you to open a bug report and send some example files to make it reproduce on ? ( And a video record about that happens will be appreciated )
          For sample, it's quite easy. Just make a script that write >40k chars in one line, multiplied it by 10x.

Code:
          #!/bin/bash
          for j in {1..10}
          do
              for i in {1..20000}
              do
                  echo -ne "$i"
              done
              echo "\n"
          done
          save the file as 40k.sh, then run it: bash 40k.sh > result.txt, and open result.txt with kwrite. It's almost always reproducible.

Comment

Originally posted by set135

I would be interested what use case that comes up in. Personally, I always assumed that those editors were, if not toys, at least suited to say editing an occasional config file, or jotting down a recipe, and that any serious uses lead people to emacs or some vi variant. I also do not often use a mouse for editing per se, having a preference for touch typing and keeping my fingers on the keyboard, and I do love me regular expressions. But I do occasionally copy/paste stuff into and out of documents from other places. I personally have been using vi for, geeze a few decades now, often on a daily basis and never noticed any problems. I did do a little test in vim and was able to select on and manipulate a 100000 character line without problems, but that sort of thing sounds more like something I would use more progamatic tools for. (and certainly not a mouse)
            From your PoV, then vim/vi/nvim too, is a toy. They crawl when opening quite big file. You can tried open ~5 - 15mb files with vim/vi/ or the like, edit, and save the file.
            Last edited by t.s.; 14 January 2022, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post

But why horizontal titlebars at the top, instead of verticals at the left?

OMG firefox also should place tabs on the left side instead of the top :0 so much horizontal space :0

(Yes, I am using unity, throwing away 26 pixels or so at the top for nothing. Yes, I don't know any other DE or WM to change from it. Also why no auto hide for the top bar? If I wanted to check the time, I could push up my cursor, or press windows button, thank you)
              You can use global menu for that 26pixel if your WM support it. Years ago, I use global menu for my ubuntu in netbook.

Screenshot_20220114_165138.png

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I didn't mean VSCode was slow. I meant it's a resource hog.
                Well that depends on what VSCode is doing, sometimes to be fast you need to take up resources and/or it has a lot more features.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I agree!
                  They should've kept Kate, maybe dumbed it down by default to be like KWrite, but with a config toggle to switch to the advanced view.
                  The "Simple by default, powerful when needed!" is false now with Kwrite as it cannot be powerful when needed.
                  For that Kate will be needed again, and if you're offline or on a very weak internet connection, you're screwed!
                  For the most part, all Kate needs is Settings>Show Toolbar enabled, possibly remove "Go Back" and "Go Forward" the toolbar (I wouldn't, but it makes it look more like KWrite), and disable View>Toolbars>Show Sidebar. Doing those changes to default Kate makes it look almost identical to default KWrite. After those changes, the difference is that with one editor if you need more powerful options you have them, with the other one editor you have to install a nearly identical editor to get those powerful options.

Hide File Browser, enable Stupid People Buttons, possibly tweak stupid people buttons for consistency.

IMHO, this is like adding another terminal emulator because Konsole has theme settings and themes confuse stupid people (that's not a joke, themes confuse stupid people).

See -- change two settings and they're damn-near identical. The biggest differences? Kate still has a Sessions Menu, those extra toolbar icons I mentioned, some very small tab manipulation icons, and the Close icon is red. ngraham -- is that a bug? Kate's default Untitled window with a red close button? I can't close what hasn't been opened.

Comment

I should mention that I kept clicking on KWrite when doing all that comparison stuff. KWrite has a much more intuitive icon than Kate. I see the document-looking icon and I click on it. Kate's Icon reminds me of the old Debian Ice Weasel icons as well as...well...the blue of the Icons made me keep clicking on the damn Dolphin window instead of Kate when I was peripheral vision mousing.

That's embarrassing to admit, but the desktop won't get better user interfaces until we tell out embarrassing stories like this. You'd think I'd be able to tell the difference between a circle and a square in my peripheral.

Can KWrite be ditched except for giving its icon to Kate?

Comment

New KDE releases having better wayland support is hardly news anymore, they say that about literally every new KDE release.

Comment

Working...
                      X