KDE Plasma 5.24 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moltke View Post

I'm no coder/programmer, but I do prefer kate to kwrite; it supports tabs, kwrite doesn't(or it didn't last time I checked.)
    Kate is nice and advanced, but sucks for regular end-user editing and has a lot of overhead. KWrite sucks just as much. I much prefer FeatherPad, which is also Qt-based, has the right mix between Kate and KWrite features and is very, very lightweight: https://github.com/tsujan/FeatherPad

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Notepad++? What is this? 2005? Sublime replaced Notepad++ as the big thing in text editors around 2010 and VS Code replaced Sublime a couple years ago. What's next? Are you going to start talking about Lotus Notes?
      That's cute, VIM replaced all of those things in 1991.

Comment

Notepad++? What is this? 2005? Sublime replaced Notepad++ as the big thing in text editors around 2010 and VS Code replaced Sublime a couple years ago. What's next? Are you going to start talking about Lotus Notes?
        meh, whatever.

Comment

I really like the new overview effect. Does anyone know how to activate it with the Meta key? The Meta key seems to be special in Plasma, it isn't possible to reassign it via systemsettings. I only found a tip in Userbase to open KRunner by hitting Meta, but even that didn't work...

Edit: Found a solution:
          Code:
          kwriteconfig5 --file ~/.config/kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta  "org
          .kde.kglobalaccel,/component/kwin,,invokeShortcut,Overview" && qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
          Now Meta opens the new overview effect (which has KRunner built in). Nice!
          Last edited by Zapp!; 13 January 2022, 03:42 PM.

Comment

While I'm not bothered by the change itself per se the principle of it is concerning. How often does someone who's not a programmer or system administrator open up a plain text editor as opposed to jumping to the office suite? Rarely to never. Meanwhile the two aforementioned use them daily, often for most of the day in some capacity or another. The counterpoint obviously is they also have strong preferences and are going to install whatever it is they want to use to that end, however I would actually advocate getting rid of KWrite altogether, keeping Kate in the default install set, and replacing that default "Favorite" With Calligra if it must be a KDE app or LibreOffice more generally.
            I often use the text editor for various things (not programming) and Kwrite is perfect, I don't open LibreOffice for trivial notes and I see that many people do the same.
            After that there is no strict rule, everyone uses what he wants and Kate is not going anywhere, it is installed in two seconds.

Comment

KDE 5.24 Release Notes: Something no longer sometimes crashes.
              but with all due respect I appreciate everything KDE devs and contributors do for us and foss, thank you

Was hoping for refreshed theme and icons.....just look at this notification modal, it is so UGLY:
              notifications-wee.png

Meanwhile look at CutefishOS's icons, how pleasant they are:
              Screen-Shot-2022-01-13-at-3-21-09-PM.png

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                The only thing I want from Plasma now - this merged upstream and working on Wayland. Even if it will be tied only to a single theme - this thing is an absolute killer in saving vertical space on stupid 16:9 notebook screens.
                By the looks of it, it's not finished yet. And it looks horrible to me. I save more vertical space (yes, I have the same peeve with widescreen) by moving the taskbar to one side. But you may want to do both at the same time.

As a side note, at 4k the vertical space doesn't feel so restricted anymore, even if it's still 16:9.
                Last edited by bug77; 13 January 2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

That is just... wrong.
                  Sublime is commercial. As good as it may be, it never replaced Notepad++.
                  VSCode is an electron monstrosity, it didn't replace anything, unless you were desperate to see something resembling VS running on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

If I want to do text editing, I much rather do it in Windows with Notepad these days.

Why? Start up kate or kwrite or gedit, create a file with a single line that has more than 40,000 characters, then click and drag to select more than half of the text and watch the entire text editor freeze to hell. Have been experiencing this since 2016 and still happens in 2022.

This never happens on Windows's Notepad. It's downright ridiculous that the operating system with the most variety of text editors can't even get this right.
                    I just tried that in Kwrite with no issue, but maybe there is more to in than having a line with more than 42k characters?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                      The only thing I want from Plasma now - this merged upstream and working on Wayland. Even if it will be tied only to a single theme - this thing is an absolute killer in saving vertical space on stupid 16:9 notebook screens.
                      That looks awesome, I want it too now!

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      moving the taskbar to one side
                      I probably should have learned that trick years ago, but with so many browser windows open, it'll be hard to see what's what vertically I fear.
                      Maybe that would force me to close those windows more often, which would be a good thing!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X